cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sealing underside edge of counter top

TheTichenors
Explorer
Explorer
We have a new Surveyor 272FLS with what looks like a vacuum molded over MDF counter top. The underside edge has exposed MDF where water could potentially get to when it runs off the edge of the counter and wrap around to the underside.

I would love to seal this exposed MDF somehow before it starts to swell due to moisture. Does anyone have any recommendations?
12 REPLIES 12

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Z-Peller wrote:
I used Elmers waterproof wood glue. Put it on my fingers and smeared it onto bare wood under edge of counter top working it in good. I let it dry then did a second coat.

Tape off the mating surfaces and do as mentioned above. Best answer of them all!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks!
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

TheTichenors
Explorer
Explorer
Wow - that looks amazing! Well done!!

BruceMc wrote:
We noticed some swelling bubbles toward the front right side of the sink on one of our summer trips last year.

I was angry.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
The underside of my counters is mdf, and has been exposed for the last 15 years (with kids for the first 8). Zero issues. Now, I could understand if water got past the sink edge on a continuous basis...

Maybe the quality of the mdf has changed? I dunno.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
We noticed some swelling bubbles toward the front right side of the sink on one of our summer trips last year.

I was angry.

We had MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) with the thin vinyl layer (with the sink removed):

as well as the same garbage on the bath sink and small counter next to the bed.

Here's the results of the winter project to "seal" those countertops:

New corian & backsplash, new sink:

Bath vanity: new corian & backsplash, new sink, new faucet:

New dinette table:

All 100% waterproof.

I'm no longer angry about it!

See more Sunseeker Project Pictures on my photo hosting site.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

TheTichenors
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
How often do you spill so much water on the counter that it runs off the edge? On the rare occasion when it happens, if you wipe it up reasonably quickly rather than letting it sit for hours, you should not have any problems with the countertop disintegrating for a very long time.

The suggestions of varnish, paint, etc. are appropriate answers to your question; I just think it's an unnecessary concern.

It might not happen often, but it does happen (especially if you are camping with kids). Sealing these edges is simply one less thing to worry about.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
How often do you spill so much water on the counter that it runs off the edge? On the rare occasion when it happens, if you wipe it up reasonably quickly rather than letting it sit for hours, you should not have any problems with the countertop disintegrating for a very long time.

The suggestions of varnish, paint, etc. are appropriate answers to your question; I just think it's an unnecessary concern.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
My first thought would be clear exterior polyurethane or something similar.

X2. It's quick, easy, cheap and lasts a long time.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
My first thought would be clear exterior polyurethane or something similar.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Varnish, Polyurethane sealers, paint, Tomson's water treatment, even a very, very generous application of Johnson's paste wax will shed water.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
A strip of laminate counter top material glued with contact cement will seal it off

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
I used Elmers waterproof wood glue. Put it on my fingers and smeared it onto bare wood under edge of counter top working it in good. I let it dry then did a second coat.
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...