cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lesson Learned / Tech Tip - Kwikee Step Motor Replacement

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
After spending longer than I'd have liked trying to follow Lippert's recommendation on removing the failed motor on my steps to no avail, I thought I'd share what should have been obvious to me from the get go.

My situation was as follows. The motor had been replaced back in 2015 by an RV mechanic. What I did not know was that he had inserted the clevis pin that connects the linkage to the step shaft from the front of the coach meaning the cotter pin was towards the back of the coach. This is an issue only if your motor fails with the steps retracted. This was the case recently for me. With the steps retracted it is essentially impossible to reach the cotter pin to remove it which is of course necessary to remove the clevis pin which must be done to get the steps out of the way so the old motor can be removed.

I had to call Lippert to find the right replacement motor as the options are numerous and I didn't want to risk getting the wrong motor based on what Amazon's search engine thought I should get. While discussing with their representatives (who are otherwise awesome at their job) I asked them how to get the clevis pin out for my situation. They said "Oh, just use some pliers". I tried 10 different pliers, including 16" double higned bent nose pliers and could not get to the cotter removed. I called it a night.

With a clearer mind the next morning I attached a cut of wheel to a 36" flexshaft connected to my dremel. I cut the head off the clevis and drove the pin out with a drift. Took all of 5 minutes. Why I tried to tinker with the old pin I have no clue. Again, it seems obvious but often many of us get blinders on trying to do things a certain way when the path is already laid before us. Consider the head of the pin will be very hot, so if you have carpet on your stair treads you'll want to remove it or protect it from the falling red hot head which will otherwise melt your carpet.

I just thought I'd share this with anyone who gets down the recommended path and loses sight of considering other options.

Lastly, don't forget to install the new celvis pin (1/4 x 2, by the way) with the head towards the back of the coach so you can access the cotter the next time the motor fails.
3 REPLIES 3

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
wa8yxm wrote:
Gee that's how mine is installed (Factory and how I did it too)

I have the tools to reach in and straighten the cotter pin. Then pull them out EVEN with the steps retracted.. I did this.. Twice. Last time I used a hairpin instead of a cotter (This is easier to pull since it is a spring)

Tool used.. Long pair of needle nose pliers Long forceps and as I recall a long screwdriver

Works

One other thign.. there are photos of my original motor. the one everybody told me to buy and the one that fits.

That's great, glad (and jealous) yours is that accessible. I didn't take the time to measure but the opening as you know is no taller than the motor is, and hardly any wider. I have an extensive tool collection and would consider myself to be highly competent - it just wasn't going to happen on without cutting it out.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
On trip out here we opened the steps and hit a RxR cross tie used as border for plantings. Motor was strong enough to break the arm from the motor to the steps.
Fortunately the Campground Owner/Manger took an arm off of old motor assy and repaired it.
I had never encountered this problem before. Coach was high enough could hardly climb in too.
I believe h encountered somewhat the same problem as he had to take off the whole motor assy to replace the arm.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gee that's how mine is installed (Factory and how I did it too)

I have the tools to reach in and straighten the cotter pin. Then pull them out EVEN with the steps retracted.. I did this.. Twice. Last time I used a hairpin instead of a cotter (This is easier to pull since it is a spring)

Tool used.. Long pair of needle nose pliers Long forceps and as I recall a long screwdriver

Works

One other thign.. there are photos of my original motor. the one everybody told me to buy and the one that fits.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times