Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Ideal V8 rpms when towing?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ideal V8 rpms when towing?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Siletzspey wrote:

When cruising at 70mph, I turn 1,800rpms in 6th gear, and 2,300rpms in 5th gear. On a mild up slope the engine seems fine in 6th at 1,800rpms (e.g. I don't get any odd sound or sensation of lugging).

Is there any thought on what a good rpm is for the engine and transmission when towing a load? With my prior 1997 Ford Expedition, the TOW button would disable the highest gear (OD).

My old E150 was the same way. I would frequently disable OD when approaching a hill so that it would not lug down too low before it kicked down itself.

The newer Ford 6 and 10 speed transmissions are computer controlled and the engine should not lug down too low. I am sure there is a way to manually shift it. If you manually put it in 5th, it is going to stay there forever, even when you slow to a stop, unless you shift it or put it back in full automatic.

Siletzspey

Shedd, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/19 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies!

I realized after asking that there is a miles-per-gallon optimization aspect, and a wear-and-tear optimization aspect, and I was thinking more of the latter.

I guess I've gravitated towards the answers that suggest the transmission and computer will choose a reasonable gear for all concerns. I do use the UP and DOWN arrows to set what top gear is allowed when 5-6 jumping occurs, and when going downhill.

Thanks,

--SiletzSpey

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ideal V8 rpms when towing?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.