cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boston Ma. to San Antonio Tx.

eastcoasthd
Explorer
Explorer
In a little more than a week, heading down to Lackland AFB for my son’s BMT graduation. Hoping to get some opinions on the various possible routes. Have a reservation for the week at Travelers World in S.A. and will be making overnight pit stops randomly along the way.

Plan is to take 81 to Knoxville, from there not sure.
A) 40 to 30 into Dallas and head south on 35.
B) 40 to 75 to 59 to 10 through Houston.

Google suggested a third alternative route. 81 to 68 (MD.) , Bluegrass Pkwy. down to Nashville to 40 to 30. This maybe a better option for the return trip?

Thanks in advance 😉
10 REPLIES 10

texasjayco
Explorer
Explorer
When it comes to towing the 5er on I-35, I would rather have a kidney removed...with no anesthesia!!!

I would (and have several times) peel off I-30 at Greenville on hwy 380, west all the way to Jacksboro. Then catch hwy 281 all the way into San Antonio, and go west on loop 1604. That way, you avoid most of the MetroMess (aka DFW), and Waco, and Austin (what a nightmare!!). And it puts you into SA real close to the base.

This route adds about 75 miles to your trip, but WELL worth it...and I would wager that it ends up about the same time since you avoid so many heavy traffic areas Very relaxing, good road, NO CONSTRUCTION, and some cool towns to go through. I-35 is about the most stressful hwy I have ever been on!!

Mark
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
2022 Ford F-450 Limited Diesel Dually

eastcoasthd
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
padredw wrote:
Camreal wrote:
Take 271 south at Mt. Pleasant to hwy 31 to Waco then 84 to 281 and San Antonio.
Avoid I-35 traffic, just another plan

Excellent suggestion from Camreal. I have another suggestion which will avoid not only Dallas but also Austin which is worse for RV driving than Dallas. So here goes.

As above take US 271 at Mt. Pleasant. You have a good new bypass now around that town.

BUT at Gilmer take TX 155 through Tyler to Palestine, TX. You will have a loop around Tyler and also at Palestine. @ Palestine take US 79 and follow it all the way down to Rockdale to take US 77 S. At the intersection with TX 21 take 21 through Bastrop to San Marcos where you will pick up I-35

Not everyone will prefer this route since there are many 2 lane highways, but I like to avoid the traffic in Dallas, Waco, and especially Austin.

Lots of good places to overnight along this route. I will only mention Tyler State Park and Bastrop--either Bastrop State Park or the LCRV (Lower Colorado River Authority) on Lake Bastrop.

At least you have some good choices.

At Gilmer stay on 271 as it is mostly 4 lane except a few miles south of Gladewater. 155 is almost all 2lane to Tyler and it merges into 271 on Tyler's North side so your back on the same road.
Me , I would stay on 30 to Tx 19 and take to Athens picking up 31. It's 2 lane but straight as an arrow .

Looks good. Thanks.

How’s the traffic on 35 through the cities? Typical rush hour stuff in the am / pm. Is it bumper to bumper, stop and go?

eastcoasthd
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
My previous post concerned only the portion of the trip inside Texas. Here is a part of EastCoast original post:

EastCoast wrote:
Bluegrass Pkwy. down to Nashville to 40 to 30

Many people are not familiar with the Kentucky system of Parkways. I have been using them for years. Some of them are destined to become part of the Interstate Highway System. I have found them to be excellent highways.

In this instance you could take the Bluegrass Pkw to Elizabethtown and then take the Western Kentucky Pkw to connect with I-155 to I-55 down to West Memphis, AR and avoid both Nashville and Memphis. That is the route I take all the time to Lexington, KY.

Lots of good campgrounds in the Land Between the Lakes Area just off this route. Also the Kentucky Horse Park near Lexington.

Just some more ideas for consideration.

Thanks padredw! I took a closer look at this route using Google maps as well as the RV Parky app. Probably the route I’ll end up taking. Many, many possible places to stop. Another plus, I was surprised to see that it’s only around 50 miles longer than the 81 > 40 > 30 route.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
Camreal wrote:
Take 271 south at Mt. Pleasant to hwy 31 to Waco then 84 to 281 and San Antonio.

Excellent suggestion from Camreal. I have another suggestion which will avoid not only Dallas but also Austin which is worse for RV driving than Dallas. So here goes.

As above take US 271 at Mt. Pleasant. You have a good new bypass now around that town.

BUT at Gilmer take TX 155 through Tyler to Palestine, TX. You will have a loop around Tyler and also at Palestine. @ Palestine take US 79 and follow it all the way down to Rockdale to take US 77 S. At the intersection with TX 21 take 21 through Bastrop to San Marcos where you will pick up I-35

Not everyone will prefer this route since there are many 2 lane highways, but I like to avoid the traffic in Dallas, Waco, and especially Austin.

Lots of good places to overnight along this route. I will only mention Tyler State Park and Bastrop--either Bastrop State Park or the LCRV (Lower Colorado River Authority) on Lake Bastrop.

At Gilmer stay on 271 as it is mostly 4 lane except a few miles south of Gladewater. 155 is almost all 2lane to Tyler and it merges into 271 on Tyler's North side so your back on the same road.
Me , I would stay on 30 to Tx 19 and take to Athens picking up 31. It's 2 lane but straight as an arrow .

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
My previous post concerned only the portion of the trip inside Texas. Here is a part of EastCoast original post:

EastCoast wrote:
Bluegrass Pkwy. down to Nashville to 40 to 30

Many people are not familiar with the Kentucky system of Parkways. I have been using them for years. Some of them are destined to become part of the Interstate Highway System. I have found them to be excellent highways.

In this instance you could take the Bluegrass Pkw to Elizabethtown and then take the Western Kentucky Pkw to connect with I-155 to I-55 down to West Memphis, AR and avoid both Nashville and Memphis. That is the route I take all the time to Lexington, KY.

Lots of good campgrounds in the Land Between the Lakes Area just off this route. Also the Kentucky Horse Park near Lexington.

Just some more ideas for consideration.

eastcoasthd
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the help. I really appreciate it!

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Camreal wrote:

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
Avoid I-35 traffic, just another plan.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Can only help a little after you get to Texas.
Route A, I-40 to I-30 to Dallas. On east edge of Dallas take I-635 south to I-20, west to I-35E, then south. Bypasses Dallas downtown area. There is about 3-4 miles of construction south of Dallas entering Waxahachie with narrow lanes. Typically not a real problem other than having to watch your lane a little closer. Then another 3-4 miles of construction in Waco. Other than those annoyances a large part of i-35 has been completely rebuilt over the last 8-10 years and is great road now.

If entering San Antonio from the north on I-35 to I-37 or from the east on I-10 to I-37, do not take the E Southcross Blvd exit from I-37 to get to Travelers World. There is a rail crossing with a sharp rise/fall that can be a drag problem for a larger RV. Go a little farther south to SE Military Dr. Or from I-35 or I-10, take I-410 around the southeast side to I-37, then back north to Military.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What have you seen and what haven’t you seen MA to TX?

Air Corps always puts on a good show
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad