Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need help with sulphur smelling water

hippiemade
Explorer
Explorer
Ok guys- different type of question hope someone can help

I have well water and a whole house walter filter
I just had the filters changed and within 4 weeks the sulphur smell has returned
Although it doesnt bother me to much= I have a 5th wheel on my property I use for Air B and B and I am sure its a matter of time before I get a person it offends
I purchased a Camco 40043 TastePURE RV/Marine Water Filter which connect to the water hose- but it doesnt remove all smell

Does anyone know of any chemical I can put in the water that might help with this smell?
THank you in advance:D
23 REPLIES 23

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
cougar28 wrote:
laknox wrote:

Actually, no need to "force feed" into the pressure side. You simply meter the chemical down into the well itself, then pump the water out from the water table. Lyle

Are you sure that's legal to put chemical's in the water table?

In Cali?! You can rest assured that =nothing= we do doesn't comply with 9,000+ regulations.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:

Actually, no need to "force feed" into the pressure side. You simply meter the chemical down into the well itself, then pump the water out from the water table. Lyle

Are you sure that's legal to put chemical's in the water table?
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
agesilaus wrote:
THis doesnt make sense either- Im not sure if my post wasnt clear enough- I am looking for a chemical possibly to put in water to help with the smell
-----------------------------------------------
I can tell you how water systems get rid of the hydrogen sulfide, they aerate the water. They spray the water up to the top of a tank that has screened louvers aound the top. The H2S outgasses and blows out the louvers. In other words the same advice Lyle gave you above.

I don't understand how you think you can add a chemical to a closed pressurized system. You would have to use a meter pump to force pump it into your water lines. A VERY expensive proposition. Hydrogen peroxide would do the job and probably Bleach but the levels would have to be controlled. You don't know what you are asking.

And BTW I was a certified water system operator and treated untold millions of gallons of water.

Actually, no need to "force feed" into the pressure side. You simply meter the chemical down into the well itself, then pump the water out from the water table. We do this in our irrigation wells at our citrus grove in Tulare Co. We meter in chemicals to help slow down the bacterial growth that eats up the iron well casing. Just gets mixed with the water and pumped out when we run the wells. I suppose something similar could be done with whatever might be used to combat the sulfur but the =simpler= solution would be an aerator system. Pump out of the ground, over the aerator, =then= have the pressure pump into the pressure tank. Need to add a separate non-pressurized holding tank.

Hell, we did something similar, minus the aeration system, for the domestic well on our farm. Originally, the pump was going direct into the pressure tank and, after replacing it 2 or 3 times, we got an old 3k gal steel tank, plumbed the pump into that (with float switches), then used a booster to pump into the pressure tank for the workers' houses. Never had to pull the well again until the farm was sold and =everything= was scrapped. Only maintenance needed was to occasionally fill the pressure tank with air.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy has the issue in his 5er if he leaves the water in the water heater for more than a week. He removes the water heater plug every time it will sit for any length of time. For the AirBnB, I'd make sure that it was drained prior to guests coming. My friends wife was getting extreme headaches and a cough from the smell in their trailer. You don't want that with paying guest!!
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
In our area we have this problem. The man at the plumbing store said just remove the anode from the water heater. It has been smell free now for almost 30 years. I have also heard that a Zinc anode will eliminate the smell while still giving you the protection of a anode.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
keymastr wrote:
If you use the fresh water tank on the trailer you could simply use a fairly large aquarium pump to aerate the water and the excess air could escape out the vent. Not sure how long it would take but it would be your cheapest solution. You could leave the filler cap off for better air evacuation.

That's a good idea, tho I'd give the water heater fix a try first
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
I had the sulfur smell. Changed the water heater anode and gave the water heater a good flush. No more sulfur smell.

This is where Iโ€™d start. If your WH in the fifth wheel has an anode rod (Suburban?) Iโ€™d try a new one. While itโ€™s out, give the WH a good flush. If you fifth wheel sits a long time between use drain the WH.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
If you use the fresh water tank on the trailer you could simply use a fairly large aquarium pump to aerate the water and the excess air could escape out the vent. Not sure how long it would take but it would be your cheapest solution. You could leave the filler cap off for better air evacuation.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I had the sulfur smell. Changed the water heater anode and gave the water heater a good flush. No more sulfur smell.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

hippiemade
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Jetstreamer wrote:
Isnโ€™t the sulfur smell a product of iron content in the water?
I have an iron filter on my well system and without it I have sulfur smelling water...

No, Sulfur is Sulfur a yellow solid and Iron is that metal we all know. Iron Reducing bacteria and sulfate reducing bacteria will produce Hydrogen Sulfide as a byproduct of eating iron and yes then there will also be iron dissolved in the water. These are anaerobic bacteria and can only live in the absence of oxygen. Some people think they are the remnants of ancient life here on earth before the atmosphere was filled with oxygen. No they are forced into tiny biomes where there is no O2. Like underneath corrosion (aka rust) layers.

The situation is more complicated than I describe above but I tried to simplify it.

Thank you

hippiemade
Explorer
Explorer
Jetstreamer wrote:
I have an iron filter on my well system and without it I have sulfur smelling water...

Yes I think so I have a whole house system- but obviously not a powerful enough one

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jetstreamer wrote:

No, Sulfur is Sulfur a yellow solid and Iron is that metal we all know. Iron Reducing bacteria and sulfate reducing bacteria will produce Hydrogen Sulfide as a byproduct of eating iron and yes then there will also be iron dissolved in the water. These are anaerobic bacteria and can only live in the absence of oxygen. Some people think they are the remnants of ancient life here on earth before the atmosphere was filled with oxygen. No they are forced into tiny biomes where there is no O2. Like underneath corrosion (aka rust) layers.

The situation is more complicated than I describe above but I tried to simplify it.
Superbumper

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only thing I can suggest that would be cheap is to buy a aquarium air pump, a cheap one. With an air stone and some tubing. You can put that in the bottom of a container to speed up the aeration process.

But there is no cheap way to treat a pressurized system that I know of. It would require a flowmeter, computerized metering pump, and a sensor feedback system for H2S. Each one of those components would probably be well over a thousand dollars plus you'd have to get the training to operate them since they are not simple.

I can imagine a cheap system to degas water before using it to fill your water tank. Batch treatment in other words. But that would require lots of operator time. And some tankage outside the camper. You'd duplicate the system I describe above used to process drinking water.
Superbumper

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer