cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

inside lights dim

str8shooter_mn
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced the coach batteries, 2-6v deep cycle. We are plugged into shore power. After a while our inside lights get very dim. Disconnected converter and checked out put. It is at 13.62 VDC as manual says it should be. Lights get bright again after starting coach. Running off of alternator Voltage.
What am I missing? Is there a relay somewhere that is supposed to switch from alternator to converter power to charge batteries when coach is turned off? Old batteries were shot, wouldn't take a charge.
14 REPLIES 14

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I had something similar happen to my 5er a couple months ago. Lights got dimmer and dimmer and dimmer. Everything checked out just fine. Couldn't figure it out. What I failed to do after we returned home from the week-end trip when this happened was .... well.... (do I really have to admit this ... well OK, if it will help you) ... I forgot to flip the breaker on at my RV electric box!

The residential refrigerator was running of the inverter for quite a while, drawing down the battery, making lights go dim after a few hours. DUH!

Check to make sure you flipped the breaker back on at your power pole! It might be just that simple.

str8shooter_mn
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You all for your input. After further investigation, find that the converter is faulty. Have new one ordered via amazon.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
You changed the batteries.
That's the place I would start. There are 2 30/40 amp reverse polarity fuses on the converter. There may be an in-line re-setable fuse near the batteries.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
That's the place I would start. There are 2 30/40 amp reverse polarity fuses on the converter. There may be an in-line re-setable fuse near the batteries.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
str8shooter_mn wrote:
Voltage before changing batteries was 11.3 volts after 3 hour charge at 10 amps. Batteries were disconnected during charge.
Voltage of batteries after replacement was 12.5 VDC with converter connected

Either the Converter is bad or there is a fault in the charge wiring from the Converter to the batteries. Doug

str8shooter_mn
Explorer
Explorer
Voltage before changing batteries was 11.3 volts after 3 hour charge at 10 amps. Batteries were disconnected during charge.
Voltage of batteries after replacement was 12.5 VDC with converter connected

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dim lights = low voltage = charger/converter not charging. No load voltage of the converter doesnโ€™t tell you much...whatโ€™s the voltage when hooked to the batteries?
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Was it working OK before you changed the batteries?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
With everything hooked up like before with the lights dim I would make that same voltage test. Please let us know what the results of that voltage test are.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Absolute classic sign of a dying converter.

str8shooter_mn
Explorer
Explorer
Coach is a 2011 Fleetwood bounder classic 36R on a workhorse chassis. Has a converter WFCO WF-9800 series, 65 AMP

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Many Class As have a charge relay that enrgizes when the coach is running. This is to charge batteries.
Do you have an inverter/charger or a converter? Make and model?
You could have a loose connection causing lower then normal voltage from the batteries and the inverter/charger or converter.
Make and model would be beneficial!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
It would be most helpful if you show the year and model of your MH. Without any of that, any answer you'd get would be a guess.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System