cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fifth Wheel cameras and tow vehicle

irish31790
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks Looking for some guidance. I just ordered a fifth wheel. Now I have a couple of months to find a tow vehicle. The new camper has a 4-camera security/tow system. I’m looking at a 2017-2019 Ford F-350. My questions are:
How does the rv camera system tie into the truck display? Do I need the towing technology group on the Ford to make it work?
Mr. B
Reading, OH
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman SRW Diesel
14 REPLIES 14

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
I know you mentioned Ford, but have you checked the new Chevy HDs? They have been advertising a new camera system to use while on the road. Not sure how it works, but supposed to integrate up to15 camera views.

I recently just purchased a 2020 GMC Sierra. The new camera system is awesome. When the trailer is hooked when you engage your turn signal you have a side view camera that looks down the side of the truck and trailer.
You have a camera to help you hitch.
The invisible trailer camera gives you a nice view when backing up.
When you are driving there is an app button on the home screen you can hit and see different camera views. That will view for about 6 seconds or so.
GM really did a great job with these extra cameras.
If yo have not checked any of the 2020 models out it is an awesome truck.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

irish31790
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the replies folks. I just purchased a 2019 Ram 3500 today. I decided to go with a moderately equipped Tradesman, so no plans to integrate with the 5” screen it came with. So the separate camera is the plan. Again, you guys are awesome. All the info on here really clarified my thought process.
Mr. B
Reading, OH

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
With the NAVTV setup, the Ford system can activate the rear trailer camera in drive or reverse. With the system it can do it at any time or speed. Very nice and easy to install.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know you mentioned Ford, but have you checked the new Chevy HDs? They have been advertising a new camera system to use while on the road. Not sure how it works, but supposed to integrate up to15 camera views.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
You're better off buying a separate monitor for the trailer camera. The factory screen in the truck will only display the trailer camera while the truck is in reverse.

Are you sure about that, my 2016 Ram Laramie the rear cam is available from the touch screen.

I've asked my Ford parts guy to look into it and after checking he told me the trailer camera will only come on in reverse. This makes sense because the back up camera and bed camera on my truck are only available in reverse ..... that said I have selected reverse at highway speeds to use the bed camera and it did activate.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
oops.
B&W Companion

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If it's a Furrion, the monitor is a stand alone cordless system. In order for the cameras to be active, the running lights (headlights) of the truck will need to be turned on so the trailer lights are on. When headlights are off, the camera's turn off. They are wired through the existing outside driving lights on the trailer. It's a sweet system though.

The monitor is a cordless monitor, plugged into a powered USB port. It's active whenever plugged into the power port and "paired" with each monitor. Very easy to do.

More than likely, you'll need to purchase the monitor (sold separate), if it does not come with the camper.

We have the 7 inch monitor and only one camera, the rear observation camera which stays active all the time. You'll want the "observation" monitor, not the "back-up" only monitor. I'm hoping for Christmas, Mrs. Santa Clause will get Mr. Santa Clause the 4 side cameras.

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Furrion is a stand alone system and will not work with the trucks system. Get the tow tech package anyway, well worth it.
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

irish31790
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like it's a Furion 4 camera system.
Mr. B
Reading, OH

irish31790
Explorer
Explorer
Cedar Creek doesn't specify the security system manufacturer. I'll ask.
Mr. B
Reading, OH

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
You're better off buying a separate monitor for the trailer camera. The factory screen in the truck will only display the trailer camera while the truck is in reverse.

Are you sure about that, my 2016 Ram Laramie the rear cam is available from the touch screen.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe ask the manufacturer of the fifth wheel?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
B&W Companion

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
irish31790 wrote:
Hey folks Looking for some guidance. I just ordered a fifth wheel. Now I have a couple of months to find a tow vehicle. The new camper has a 4-camera security/tow system.

What brand is the system on the 5th wheel?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator