cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TIP problems

stanbnv
Explorer
Explorer
On the "On the Road in Mexico" Facebook page there have been people turned away from Nogales km21 in one ton trucks although one said they had to go back to the border to Aduenda to get certified as passenger not commercial. On the same vein, at least 3 people who got their TIP on line have had them cancelled after they were originally approved, one had his money refunded and two were still waiting.
Stan & Linda
Hobo the Cat & Loki
06 Dodge 3500 CTD 6 sp Quad Cab Bighorn
2017 Open Range Roamer 316RLS
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"
23 REPLIES 23

peachland
Explorer
Explorer
TIP

Stan how did you end up getting your tip?
Seems to still be a problem ,we have a 3/4 ton usually cross at Nogales
Thank you
Heather

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
stanbnv wrote:
I didn't say that they were stopped at km 21, they said that they were notified that the TIP had been cancelled. Other people said they had been denied TIPs at km 21. I will be crossing at Lukeville on the 25th pulling my 5th wheel so I will be finding out if they are stopping 3/4 and 1 ton pickups at San Emiterio. If I am denied there, I'll continue on to San Carlos and will try Empalmy. If I get denied there, I may go back to Tucson and try at the Mexican Consulate. Still haven't heard of any one who was denied pulling an RV or a slide in camper. Worse comes to worse, we'll spend the winter in San Carlos.

If you do go to Empalmy, you still have to get your FMM / at least stamped at the border. It has been a few years but we were with friends that had not gotten their FMM at the border and they would not issue an TIP without it. At that time they did not issue a FMM so our friends had to go to the Guaymas Airport, pay a fine and get the FMM there. Could have changed because it has been a few years.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
playaboy wrote:
qtla9111 wrote:

They took our permanent import papers (pedimento) and ran them through their system.

Are we required to carry our pedimentos? I was asked for it once returning from Belize but never again. That officer checked my vin on his cell phone and let me pass.

It's hit and miss but they have always asked us for it. Once, a SAT official scolded me for having the original and said that if you had the plates and the registration (tarjeta de circulacion) no one but SAT should be asking you for it. I have a color copy so that the seal appears to be original to the undiscerning eye.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:

They took our permanent import papers (pedimento) and ran them through their system.

Are we required to carry our pedimentos? I was asked for it once returning from Belize but never again. That officer check my vin on his cell phone and let me pass.

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
I am a RP so it has been a long time since I applied for a TIP

While I was at the Anzalduas last Friday going south, declaring my stuff, paying my impuestos, and checking back into Mexico, I went to the CIITEV counter and asked about permits for my "friends" diesel truck towing his RV. That officer wrote 7700GVW and said no mas. First thing he mentioned.

This is just an FYI about one officer on one particular day.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
There were considerable problems last season with on line permits that seemed to coincide with the change in government. I too have seen reports of people being refused permits with 1 tons this season. All i can suggest is printing out the SAT regulations and pointing out page 22 where it states cargo capacity and maybe print out the page off the banjercito site where it also states that (The spanish version (the English version mistakingly states GVW)

All theses documents are available at https://www.mexicocaravans.com/border.html

If you can take your truck empty to a scale, preferably an official one and get it weighed empty which will usually come in at less than 7710 lbs or 3500 kg, it is not a bad idea. Any official piece of paper showing weights can help.

ProudCanuck42
Explorer
Explorer
stanbnv wrote:
On the same vein, at least 3 people who got their TIP on line have had them cancelled after they were originally approved, one had his money refunded and two were still waiting.

Stan, this may be a problem with the online system rather than anything to do with large pickups. I'm not going this year but was helping another couple with their online applications for a pickup and 5th wheel trailer. These were done separately and both were accepted but the next day they both showed up as "rejected". I know of at least one other person who had the same issue. Just sayin'

Talleyho69
Love all of your comments.

I watch Facebook kind of like watching a train wreck. I can't quit watching. Yes, there is often some very good information, especially when it comes to where I live. However, a major part of what I see is, "OMG, the restaurant wouldn't take my credit card and then wouldn't give me a good exchange rate for my Canadian dollars!" We are in Guerrero, in a relatively small town. Seriously, are they kidding??

Thank you all for staying with us.

A friend drove from Nogales to Zihuatanejo, arriving yesterday, doing it in a 1 ton in three days. Hopefully I can post his road report manana, it's very positive!

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Stan's post was not moderated enough. I could care less about your political views. I visit this forum to learn about traveling to Mexico, not to hear political views - which ironically Stan had complained about yesterday.
This forum has lost enough folks over the last few years - let's keep it centered on Mexico.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I also do not do facebook stan could gave provided more details
Or maybe the klutz that posted the info on facebook could have provided more info. Awy eas the online tip cancelled. Maybe somone trying to import a vehicle that did not match the info on the tip. Stan. If you are turned away muliple times why go back to Mexico. Perhaps it is a sign that they do not deserve your business.

Moisheh

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the stories that are published on Face book, Twitter and YouTube and some of the blogs contain and have so much misinformation and false accounts that you need to take them with a grain of salt.

I do not use Twitter or Face book, do use YouTube for some items of interest. On one occasion I found some videos on Mexico, first one was by an amateur fellow about an area of Yucatan, very well done, narrated and shot, none of this vertigo panning zoom in zoom out stuff, second one seemed to be semi professional and rather good, until the narrator stated that Acapulco is in the Caribbean sea and San Cristobal de las Casa is in Yucatan, as far as I know Acapulco has not moved from the Pacific coast of Mexico and the state of Chiapas has always had San Cristobal de las Casas in it.

The other item missing in the original account is what type of "cargo" were this trucks carrying or pulling, did they have a full camper shell, a simple shell or what type of trailer were they towing, as far as I know Sonoyta is the only check point that happens to be inland all other "retenes aduanales" have been eliminated, it has been a very long time since we have been stopped for immigration or customs checks away from the border, we have been asked were we are going at some military check points but no documents or TIP checked.

This might be someone trying to scare and misinform.

navegator

stanbnv
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I went off. I was a little uptight. It occurred to me that the Baja doesn't require a tip for the tow vehicle so there is always that. This 3/4 and 1 ton thing has been on the books for several years but most crossings hadn't hasseled RVers before.
Stan & Linda
Hobo the Cat & Loki
06 Dodge 3500 CTD 6 sp Quad Cab Bighorn
2017 Open Range Roamer 316RLS
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Yep, that one I just can't wrap my head around.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
For yrars I gave sated that Mexico is the only civilized country that does not stop all vehicles,record plates and check passports
I have crossed well over 200 times. Inspected maybe 10 times. If I already have a 10 year tip and my fmm can just go right through. Many times if it is cold or early the aduaneros are not even there. I dud notice this spring that the cameras were taking pictures of car tags. No one should complain about a normal inspectio but the 1 ton truck ban is a bunch of c___.Moisheh