cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight Distribution Hitch? Newmar

Bobalooie
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000 Dutch Star with a 5000lb hitch. Can a weight distribution hitch be used on this with its airbags? Would the airbags not fight the attempt to raise the back end?
13 REPLIES 13

Bobalooie
Explorer
Explorer
Do you, or anyone else, know if the plates that hold the hitch from Spartan are rated at 5000 or 10,000lbs? Spartan isn't sure, unfortunately, even though the frame is rated at 10k.

Bobalooie
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

IF the frame is rated for 10k, you just purchase the 10k hitch and you are good to go. Doug

You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a 10k hitch that fits that frame...

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Bobalooie wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Bobalooie wrote:
Note... the motorhome frame (Spartan) has a 10,000lb tow capacity, but they only threw a 5000lb hitch on.

Your problem is NOT the rated capacity of the hitch. Well, really it is, you are towing MORE weight than the hitch is capable of. The REAL problem is, the Hitch and Chassis frame mount. are rated for 5k not 10k. IF the Spartan frame mount is rated at 10k then you need to purchase a 10k hitch. FYI, Tiffin has had a recall out for the past 6 or 7 years for the morons that towed grater than the 5k rated hitch and Tiffin had a few that came/broke loose. Tiffin investigated the few failures and found out that in every failure the customer pulled greater than 5k. Regardless, Tiffin sent out a Recall and installed beefed up bolts and steel reinforcement plates. Also, Newmar did have a recall years ago for a failure of certain Hidden Hitches installed on Newmar Motorhomes. Doug

Thanks Doug. My conversation with Spartan was essentially that the frame is rated for 10,000 lb towing. The hitch is only 5k, for certain; but you are suggesting that the plates on which it is mounted are only 5k? That I can't answer.

So, if I get a bigger hitch, then I may need more beefed up plates it sounds like...

IF the frame is rated for 10k, you just purchase the 10k hitch and you are good to go. Doug

Bobalooie
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Bobalooie wrote:
Note... the motorhome frame (Spartan) has a 10,000lb tow capacity, but they only threw a 5000lb hitch on.

Your problem is NOT the rated capacity of the hitch. Well, really it is, you are towing MORE weight than the hitch is capable of. The REAL problem is, the Hitch and Chassis frame mount. are rated for 5k not 10k. IF the Spartan frame mount is rated at 10k then you need to purchase a 10k hitch. FYI, Tiffin has had a recall out for the past 6 or 7 years for the morons that towed grater than the 5k rated hitch and Tiffin had a few that came/broke loose. Tiffin investigated the few failures and found out that in every failure the customer pulled greater than 5k. Regardless, Tiffin sent out a Recall and installed beefed up bolts and steel reinforcement plates. Also, Newmar did have a recall years ago for a failure of certain Hidden Hitches installed on Newmar Motorhomes. Doug

Thanks Doug. My conversation with Spartan was essentially that the frame is rated for 10,000 lb towing. The hitch is only 5k, for certain; but you are suggesting that the plates on which it is mounted are only 5k? That I can't answer.

So, if I get a bigger hitch, then I may need more beefed up plates it sounds like...

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Bobalooie wrote:

Bobalooie
Explorer
Explorer

Bobalooie
Explorer
Explorer
I have a tongue weight of 500lb on the Dutch Star, I believe (5000 tow capacity hitch). We are pulling a horse trailer, so our load will be around 6000lb).

I have a weight distribution hitch, so am trying to figure out if this will work for the extra capacity.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
From E trailer. Doug

I have 36โ€™ motorhome on a Freightliner Xc chassis with air bag suspension, I am heavy on the ball, will a weight distributing hitch work? The auto adjust air suspension wonโ€™t raise the coach and I do t think the Wd would have that much in it, but would it take weight off the ball? Being a โ€œVโ€ nose trailer the motorcycle has to go in 1st I then back the car in to put the engine rearward of the axles, so not much load adjusting left Thanks

asked by: Mike

Expert Reply:
Yes, you can use a weight distribution system on your motorhome while towing a trailer. Since you have airbags, you will want to couple the trailer and then let the airbags adjust. Once the airbags adjust, you can then set the spring bars on the weight distribution system to take the remaining sag out of the equation.

In order to select the correct weight distribution system you will need to determine your total tongue weight (TTW) which is the loaded ready to tow tongue weight of the trailer added to any cargo stored behind the rear axle of the tow vehicle. Please keep in mind that the hitch on your motorhome will also have to be rated for use with a weight distribution system in order for this option to work for you.

I recommend taking a look at the Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution Systems. These system are one of the best on the market with integrated 4-point sway control which will work to both reduce and prevent trailer sway. I have attached the tongue weight ranges of this system for you.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
If your hitch receiver is only rated for 5,000 pounds, it probably is not compatible with WD. Any receiver capable of using WD will have dual ratings; Weight Carrying and Weight Distributing.

BTW - The longer the rig's wheelbase, the less WD will change axle loading. But sometimes it's necessary simply to stay within hitch receiver ratings.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Bruce_Brown
Also, many of the newer WD hitches also incorporate sway control. It would be worth it for that alone.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Ivylog wrote:
For a 5K trailer you do not need or want WD.

What do you base this statement on? I have towed a enclosed 2 Motorcycle Trailer behind a Denali Yukon with air suspension. The weight was around 4500 lbs total. I used a WD tow arrangement and also did not use the WD(as a test). The WD handling was far superior to NO WD. Now, behind a large motorhome, you may not feel a difference. BUT, the WD was used for SAFE towing distribution. I felt that the WD gave me more positive control on the trailer in wind and passing. I would believe the same is true behind a motorhome. Now, I do not know the particulars for WD with a motorhome air suspension. But, I have had customers using WD behind the motorhome. Doug

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
For a 5K trailer you do not need or want WD.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, Also you should connect the trailer and load it , then run the engine to get the airbag system up , Last adjust the hitch. Remember to stay under your tongue weight.