cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED: Arizona (not Nevada) roads question

bass_n_bob
Explorer
Explorer
last week I traveled I 40 east in Arizona and the road was terrible. I am a motorhome towing. Next week I have to travel it again. Can anyone tell me if I 10 would be better? I could take that and connect back to I 40 via I 25 later. Does I 40 get better after Arizona? .Thoughts? thx
18 REPLIES 18

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just got back from a 6 week vacation and driven my camper all the way to Southern California and Southern Nevada to visit family and friends over a 7588.8 mile round trip !

The state boundaries still have not changed since I was raised in that area in the 1970s and personally driven from Needles to the US 95 Jct along westbound I-40 over three weeks ago on my way to Las Vegas as it is still within the state of California as noted that Nevada is nowhere near the I-40 route....

As noted, new pavement along that stretch of I-40 does exist.

Can't comment on the Arizona roads other than crossing in there from Needles and filling my fuel tanks at $2.589 per gallon and almost drove to Bullhead and Laughlin but reconsidered as it was getting heat of the day and didn't want to chance climbing the grade and getting potential fuel vapor lock again like I did driving up the Grapevine the week prior it was soooo hot, and lucky I coasted into the new rest area they have there and let the engine cool for an hour.

What I can attest to along driving eastbound I-10 from San Bernadino-Yucaipa I-215 interchange all the way to Whitewater, the two right lanes were so beat up I thought something bad was going to happen to the camper or suspension as there was so much traffic on a Sunday night I could not get even close to drive in the number one or two lane at that - Never seen Palm Springs bound traffic that busy ever, but then again I haven't driven along that stretch in 28 years either and it was a culture shock !!!

Heading back northbound out of Las Vegas I stayed along Western Nevada with their excellent roads and my first time along that area as I driven to Sparks - Reno which was the first time I had been there in 47 years since my childhood back in 1972 residing there for a year.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
I40 only touches very little of Nevada and 10, not even a bit.

And 10 after California is one vvery very boring freeway.

And exactly where does I-40 touch Nevada?
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
lane hog wrote:
I-10 is in fairly good shape, but the traffic is horrible starting about 20 miles west of Phoenix until you're past Tucson. I used to drive back roads between Phoenix and Tucson just to avoid I-10...

Taking the so called Phoenix By pass south from I-10 down 85 through Gila Bend is the way to go. You miss all of the traffic nonsense in Phoenix and come out on I-8 where it merges {ends} on I-10 just south of Casa Grande. From there I-10 is fine down to and through Tucson. The ride from Gila Bend towards Casa Grande is actually one of the more scenic stretches of I-8.

Going west the By pass takes you back up through Gila Bend and you hit I-10 well west of Phoenix and from there it is pretty decent all the way to California {just fill your tank before crossing the Colorado unless you like paying an extra $1.50+ a gallon}.

:C

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
lane hog wrote:
I-10 is in fairly good shape, but the traffic is horrible starting about 20 miles west of Phoenix until you're past Tucson. I used to drive back roads between Phoenix and Tucson just to avoid I-10...

Ah, but the spot from Tucson to Casa Grande is widened so the real bottleneck is the lane reduction between Casa Grande to the metro area where it goes back to multi-lanes. Of course Phoenix I-10 is a great example of traffic engineering designed by kindergarten students. Hopefully the new 202 bypass around Phoenix and the I-10 will help, but as is typical, as soon as it opens, ADOT will start tearing it up for some crazy funded projects.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

dedmiston
Different strokes. We like the drive on I-40 from Barstow to Albuquerque.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

majordad
Explorer
Explorer
bass n bob wrote:
last week I traveled I 40 east in Arizona and the road was terrible. I am a motorhome towing. Next week I have to travel it again. Can anyone tell me if I 10 would be better? I could take that and connect back to I 40 via I 25 later. Does I 40 get better after Arizona? .Thoughts? thx

We drove 10 to Texas back in June, road wasn’t too bad but getting there via 93 from kingman was horrible, much much worse than 40. My opinion FWIW.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I-40 from the California border to Flagstaff was repaved in the last year or two. Prior to that it was horrible with massive pot holes. I do not know the condition of I-40 from Flagstaff to New Mexico.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gosh, I-40 is not that bad. It goes through the high country -- great views. It does get duller as you approach California.

And compared to the interstates in Calif., I-40 in Arizona is relatively well-maintained.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both I-40 and I-10 are in decent shape but mind numbingly boring. After November first watch the weather carefully if contemplating traveling through Arizona and/or new Mexico on I-40.

Every year, often more than once, I-40 will be shut down between Albuquerque and Flagstaff for several days at a time. I-10 usually remains open throughout the winter months but can be subject to serious snow at the higher elevations {the Continental divide lies midway between Lordsburg and Deming}.

We spent last Christmas with our friends in Angel Fire New Mexico. Going home we had snow blocking some or all of at least one lane of southbound I-25 all the way to Truth or Consequences... check the weather - the internet is your friend.

:C

Community Alumni
Not applicable
After driving 7,900 miles across the US and Canada this spring, I found highways in NY and NJ to be in very poor condition. I may be biased but the I-40 through AZ is 10 times better than some highways in other states. The stretch of I-40 between the AZ stateline to where it ends in Barstow is in very good condition.

dedmiston
bass n bob wrote:
I'm sorry I meant ARIZONA.. THX

I fixed it for you.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding Nevada roads, I’ve found them pretty good. Compared to California’s? Excellent.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You can change a post title by editing your OP
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman