cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Urgent Need of Advice re Winterizing!

rfloyd99
Explorer
Explorer
I am stranded in Colorado high country and am facing four cold nights of 10-25 degree weather.

I have read about what to do to winterize and this afternoon I will be draining/blowing out the fresh water system. I have a 2016 Jayco TT.

I have three issues I'm not sure about and would appreciate some help.

1. Should I do anything to the fresh water pump?

2. Ideas on how to be sure the toilet (the standard plastic Dometic) is drained/blown out well.

3. My tow truck is disabled so I can't tow to a dump station. I am parked on my daughter's ranch, and could dump the small (3-5 gal) amount of gray water and the same small amount of black water (pee and flush water only) on the ground if necessary to avoid an expensive repair. I really would prefer not to dump them unless really necessary.

I am thinking that if the almost empty waste tanks freeze, there isn't anything to be damaged in the tanks, but I don't really know the anatomy of these systems.

I could dump in a few gallons of windshield washer fluid - any of you know anything about that idea?

I will be running a small electric heater inside the unit which should help keep the temp inside above freezing, and the TT will be parked inside a barn out of the wind. Of course, the plumbing is against the exterior walls, and the tanks are underneath and mine is not one of those 'Arctic-ready' units.

I've got to get all this done over the next few hours, so let me hear from you about these specific issues, as wll as any other ideas on my predicament!

BTW, the weather turns warm again in a few days, the truck gets fixed, and we are headed back to Florida, so don't need long-term winter advice.

Thanks!!
23 REPLIES 23

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
On our first trip we discovered that at -10C, 15F, the only part that froze was the freshwater drain tap. I put a mitt over it and all was well in the morning. Nice to know we are okay down to -10 without winterizing. We had -7 last night here in Alberta.

Using the pump to pull pink antifreeze its good down to -40. I pour some pink stuff down the sinks and toilet to protect the traps, tanks and drain valves.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
allen8106 wrote:
MFL wrote:
If you blow everything out, and run the pump dry, you should be okay inside a barn. Big difference between temp of 25, and 10. I am thinking inside the barn should stay considerably warmer than out door temp. An electric heater inside should protect pipes. If you are sure of the small amount in tanks, they should survive too, as long as you are in the barn.

This is just an opinion, don't call me if everything freezes solid. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

Not sure where you got the idea he was in a barn!!

You are correct, sorry. I missed that!

"I will be running a small electric heater inside the unit which should help keep the temp inside above freezing, and the TT will be parked inside a barn out of the wind."

Reading comprehension starts by reading entire OP

Jerry
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
make sure you have enough propane to keep the trailer warm. 4 days of cold like that you will burn a bunch of it!
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
allen8106 wrote:
MFL wrote:
If you blow everything out, and run the pump dry, you should be okay inside a barn. Big difference between temp of 25, and 10. I am thinking inside the barn should stay considerably warmer than out door temp. An electric heater inside should protect pipes. If you are sure of the small amount in tanks, they should survive too, as long as you are in the barn.

Jerry

"I will be running a small electric heater inside the unit which should help keep the temp inside above freezing, and the TT will be parked inside a barn out of the wind."

Reading comprehension starts by reading entire OP

Jerry

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:

Jerry

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your on a ranch. Got any Hay or straw bales? Stack them up around the bottom of the RV all the way around to block out as much air as possible. Before you put the last one in Hang a trouble light from the frame near the tanks. Should keep it warm enough under there to keep the tanks from freezing. Empty and bypass the water heater, blow out the lines and/or add antifreeze to the system.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Dave H M wrote:
Donโ€™t forget the outside shower.

It was the black tank flush that was my demise. :S

Ah for cripes sakes. I winterized this week and totally forgot about the danged outside shower.
Nearly 30 years of RVing and I finally did it.

Thanks for the reminder!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thinking out loud here. I learned in school that freezing water expands and bursts pipes. however IF it has some where to expand to. It will not burst the pipe. So if the black, fresh, or grey tanks are not full. The water has room to expand. Even the water in the drain pipes has room to expand back into the tank.

I leave 5 gal or so in my black tank year round. And yes it does get cold here, sometimes in the single digits.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
1: water pump
on the inlet side of the water pump is a strainer. Lay a towel on the floor below it and open the case. Drain the water out of it and run the pump for like a minute to clear the lines. Then blow again. (Do this after the 1st or second of like 10 blows to get all water out)

2 Toliet. Flush wile blowing to insure that line is clear

3:Re black/gray water.. If less than 5 gallons can you bucket carry to a toilet?
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone mentioned draining the hot water heater. Blowing pipes isn't enough to drain some water heaters.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer

It was the black tank flush that was my demise. :S

cooldavidt
Explorer
Explorer
All sounds good.
Blow thru your fresh water (25psi) thru open valves.
Leave all valves open.
Water in the tanks is not a problem but it would be better to open the valve

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, a little cold weather plus a winterizing "emergency" sure gets the keyboards a hummin' on here.:B
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Light bulbs / spot lights inside the sink cabinets and shining on the holding tanks will help. After a few hours, open the cabinet doors/drawers and see if the lights are doing any better than you small heater. 1/4 cup of rock salt in the shower drain and the others if they aren't removed like was suggested.

Lot's of luck!!
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System