Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RVs and California's Planned Power Outages
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> RVs and California's Planned Power Outages

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

Learning more about this every day
IT would be best to properly trim trees and maintain lines.
Or bury the lines
But when PG&E sends out tree trimmers residents send lawyers "THey are ruining our trees" and now that they are turning off power "They are spoiling our food" will be the lawyer's claim.. Sadly I suspect the residents will pitch a complaint if they bury the lines too.. but .. Well..

Part of what you say is true

Although I don't think Any Utility in the this Nation
Buries 100,000 volt grid transmission lines in open country

And this is what is being discussed
These are the lines being whipped back and forth and snapping, and falling to the ground, sparking fires

True. And think of the work required to bury all those lines. People are whinging over a few days of inconvenience. Burying the lines would require years of digging up roads, properties, etc. No way will people just sit back for that.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is turning power off a practice of other power companies? I have heard of power outages due to a weather event but never heard of turning power off for a forecasted weather event.

As a kid on the Gulf Coast I remember having power go out during a storm but never turned off prior to the storm.

Ozlander

Rose Hill, Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here in Kansas we have higher winds than Calif, and don't have power lines coming down when the wind blows.

Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

discovery4us wrote:

Is turning power off a practice of other power companies? I have heard of power outages due to a weather event but never heard of turning power off for a forecasted weather event.

As a kid on the Gulf Coast I remember having power go out during a storm but never turned off prior to the storm.

Once the storm is over they have to check all the lines for tree falls etc before turning on power.

I wonder if there is a spike in businesses that install back up generators, Tesla power walls, solar etc. I’d be looking.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It escapes me why people continue to live there. I spent one year there long ago and took about 6 months to plan my own escape. No telling how much money and grief I have saved over the years.

Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ozlander wrote:

Here in Kansas we have higher winds than Calif, and don't have power lines coming down when the wind blows.

That's amazing isn't it? And not many corn fields going up in conflagrations either. How do you do it?

CA folks get exactly what they brought on themselves by putting the folks in office who come up with the policies, and they keep doing it over and over. No sympathy whatsoever. Maybe they can erect a roof made of non conductive materials over the entire state to prevent lightning.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Florida, during hurricane season, the RV is always filled and ready to go, or filled and ready to stay and power the appliances in the house. it all depends on the intensity of the storm. Cat 3 or below and we stay. Cat 4 and Cat 5 we leave.
As far as burying power lines underground. They were buried in the ground in the last neighborhood we lived in. Of course we do live in the lightening capital of the world so the consequences may have been predictable. With no power poles/lines to intercept a lightening strike, your house makes a fine target. I do not know of anyone on our street that did not get hit at least once and in every case, the damage was in the thousands.
Buried power lines might work better in California but they do have their own issues and not all are lightening related. One neighbor wondered why the grass was dying in his side yard. It seems there was a slight break in the insulation and this let some of the electricity escape in to the ground. Not enough to kill someone, but it did zap his grass. This was with 220 volt input power to the house. Can you imagine the problems you could have with high power 100,000 volt lines being buried? Not saying it can't be done, but it is not as easy or safe as you may think.
Be safe and make the right decisions. You have an RV and have options that others do not have. Consider yourself fortunate.

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Can you imagine the problems you could have with high power 100,000 volt lines being buried? Not saying it can't be done, but it is not as easy or safe as you may think.

What if the power lines were buried and then a big earthquake broke them?

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Orcadrvr

agoura hills, cal.

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't regard the OP as "whinging" or "whining".
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect public utilities to maintain their facilities in a way that doesn't jeopardize public safety.
In lieu of that, they are shutting off power to hundreds of thousands of residents. I was born in Los Angeles, and have lived here all my life, and only relatively recently have these massive conflagrations caused by power lines become an issue.
PG&E, the northern Cal. utility, allowed a natural gas pipeline to deteriorate to the point that an explosion killed 8 people and caused over $500,000,000 in damages. Last year, their power lines fell and caused a huge fire which wiped out an entire town and killed 85 people.
We pay some of the highest rates in the country for power here.
Is it too much to ask that the equipment be properly maintained?

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Orcadrvr wrote:

I don't regard the OP as "whinging" or "whining".
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect public utilities to maintain their facilities in a way that doesn't jeopardize public safety.

Time to install that backup generator, California. (They make natural gas gennies, too.)

Because a Honda 2000 or an RV gen ain't gonna power a 200A (or 100A) service house.

With apologies to Bob Dylan, You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> RVs and California's Planned Power Outages
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.