Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RVs and California's Planned Power Outages
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> RVs and California's Planned Power Outages

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CoachPotato wrote:

I wonder if any other RVers in threatened areas have planned to do the same as we have. It seems an interesting topic for discussion as we RVers really do have a solution - especially those with RVs equipped with generators and larger tank capacities that many Class A owners have.Any thoughts?

YES. Absolutely!

When I finally came off the road Full time RV'ing and bought a house in Florida and my ONE requirement for living in Florida 'to myself' was to keep the MH.

With all the hurricanes and constant power outages due to tropical storms and even hurricanes just passing by in Florida I keep my MH for just that! A gen for electric when the power goes down. AND for comfy transportation for evacuating when necessary.

My MH will stay with me as long as I live in Florida. [emoticon]

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

discovery4us wrote:

Is turning power off a practice of other power companies? I have heard of power outages due to a weather event but never heard of turning power off for a forecasted weather event.

As a kid on the Gulf Coast I remember having power go out during a storm but never turned off prior to the storm.

This is a stop gap measure due to last year's fires. Until PG&E can complete their repairs of old and/or damaged lines, another fire is a great risk. So, they are cutting power to prevent another huge wildfire when the weather is at it's most dangerous (dry and windy).

Just listened to a story about a town in the east. The town has flooded several times over the past few years. People have died. They found that the historic buildings on Main street were preventing water from being able to escape the street. So they tore down some of those buildings to prevent continued flooding. Sometimes, you have to make tough decisions to keep folks alive.

So historic building which equates to old, and flooding in just the past few years. Doesn't add up that the historic buildings were the problem but rather what ever was built or changed in the last few years.

The issue with the mandatory power outages is that they would not be necessary if PG&E had been doing proper maintenance. The San Bruno explosion brought to light that PG&E could not provide documentation of gas line maintenance, proper installation, or pressure monitoring. It also day lighted the lack of a power line maintenance program.

blownstang01

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't researched any of this, but all the talk in here about the Utility filing bankrupt, lawsuits, and shutting power for 5 days at a time sounds like the utility is playing the get the "people" upset card to get the government to step in ($$$$$$$$).

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"

So historic building which equates to old, and flooding in just the past few years. Doesn't add up that the historic buildings were the problem but rather what ever was built or changed in the last flood"

If that is the same news story I saw on TV this past year
That was unprecedented flooding that had never happened on that scale in over a hundred years

Lots of things change in a hundred years

Concrete and pavement where it never was, blocked Creeks, less trees or maybe more houses and less crops

Possibly even Historic buildings that did not exist the last time this occurred

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

"

So historic building which equates to old, and flooding in just the past few years. Doesn't add up that the historic buildings were the problem but rather what ever was built or changed in the last flood"

If that is the same news story I saw on TV this past year
That was unprecedented flooding that had never happened on that scale in over a hundred years

Lots of things change in a hundred years

Concrete and pavement where it never was, blocked Creeks, less trees or maybe more houses and less crops

Possibly even Historic buildings that did not exist the last time this occurred

It was repeated flash flooding that is expected to continue to happen for years to come.

The point is that things change and we need to deal with problems that we didn't before. Comparing disasters from a hundred years ago, comparing disasters (or the lack thereof) between different areas or different climate or different terrain, etc. and then using that to say that California and/or PG&E is wrong is not only illogical, but irresponsible.

How that town handled it's situation was based on that town's particulars. Trying to use Florida or Louisiana or Houston as an example of how to handle it wouldn't make sense. They all have different particulars that make their situation different from each of the others.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

High Winds....could take transmission lines down

Better to have the power OFF then lines falling energized, starting fires and then no repairs can be done until fires are contained

Seems PG&E can't win for trying!

Like they tried so hard to fix (cover up) Hinkley and the Hexavalent chromium contamination?

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toadtoes I think you speak of Elicott City, MD flooding caused by unabated development in the drainage area West of town. My daughter lives there in the historic district and so far nothing has been torn down or resolved. Pretty sad situation though and hardly a comparison to whats going on in CA. Neither the floods or the fires will be stopped, nature don't work that way.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hear Generac stock has gone up. If I was in California I definitely would have a back up generator. If I was in Houston I would too, and I do.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/19 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look the way it is if you want to live there then do so and modify your way of life. Or just move I sure wouldn't live were I would be burnt to a piece of toast. Get a RV see the USA and enjoy life stop the BS

Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

steved28

Bellingham,MA,USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Learning more about this every day
IT would be best to properly trim trees and maintain lines.
Or bury the lines

Burying lines would cost a fortune. One of the main reasons power lines are in the air is something called "free air insulation". In short, you can use a MUCH thinner wire than if it was buried.

2019 Winnebago Sunstar LX 35F
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sahara

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> RVs and California's Planned Power Outages
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS