Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RVs and California's Planned Power Outages
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> RVs and California's Planned Power Outages

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is getting even worse the next few days with entire towns being evacuated and power being shut off to almost 3 Million users. Winds are expected to reach 85 MPH. Best of luck to all involved and evacuate if they tell you to.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can keep every "CRITICAL" circuit powered by my 2000i generator. With careful power management, I can have my refrigerator, freezer, furnace, a few lights, and my television run, just not at the same time. My house is equiped with a transfer switch and I can turn circuits off and on to rotate the load to keep everything cold for a very long time. I don't NEED air conditioning when the gen is running.
By the way, I have a 8500 watt gen in the garage but it uses to much gasoline for an extended outage. That gets used to run construction sites before the power is hooked up.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

I can keep every "CRITICAL" circuit powered by my 2000i generator. With careful power management, I can have my refrigerator, freezer, furnace, a few lights, and my television run, just not at the same time. My house is equiped with a transfer switch and I can turn circuits off and on to rotate the load to keep everything cold for a very long time. I don't NEED air conditioning when the gen is running.
By the way, I have a 8500 watt gen in the garage but it uses to much gasoline for an extended outage. That gets used to run construction sites before the power is hooked up.

Good on you Bob. We just arrived to our place in Palm Springs from Canada and could see lots of smoke on the way in. Stay safe and good luck.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just came back from my Dad's 95th birthday party in Seattle where I met with many relatives. I have heard the first hand stories of what it is like to have blackouts on purpose.

A good example of the US of A acting more like a third world nation all the time. People in California have trouble understanding the perils of wildfire and doing anything about it. Like creating defensible space, trimming around powerlines, thinning forests, creating community firebreaks, installing water tanks, providing escape routes.

As a consequence they get to live with intermittent blackouts. It sounds like PG&E is tired of being sued and punitively showing the public that they should stop messing with them. This is really unbelievable.

* This post was edited 10/30/19 09:26am by ppine *

ArchHoagland

Clovis, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 11:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

I just came back from my Dad's 95th birthday party in Seattle where I met with many relatives. I have heard the first hand stories of what it is like to have blackouts on purpose.

A good example of the US of A acting more like a third world nation all the time. People in California have trouble understanding the perils of wildlife and doing anything about it. Like creating defensible space, trimming around powerlines, thinning forests, creating community firebreaks, installing water tanks, providing escape routes.

As a consequence they get to live with intermittent blackouts. It sounds like PG&E is tired of being sued and punitively showing the public that they should stop messing with them. This is really unbelievable.

Sounds like a good idea. The devil is in the details.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

I don't live in the central valley and I don't live in the mojave
Or the inland empire, etc

But I can't remember anytime there w was five days non stop high winds

I think they are stating the worst possible case,
Instead of the most likely disruption

Very good idea to keep the RV ready
SoCal routinely gets 5 (or more) days straight of hot, dry winds; they're called the Santa Ana's. In fact, it's what we are going through right now, and yes, there are fires going as well. This morning I heard that over 300 fires have started in the past 20 hours. Most are knocked down quickly, but a few get out of control.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

steved28 wrote:

Burying lines would cost a fortune. One of the main reasons power lines are in the air is something called "free air insulation". In short, you can use a MUCH thinner wire than if it was buried.

True. I work for a municipal electric utility in SoCal; Putting normal distribution lines underground costs around $1 million+ per mile. Putting high voltage transmission lines underground costs upwards of $150 million per mile. No one could afford electricity to cover those costs.

* This post was edited 10/30/19 03:14pm by 4x4van *

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The US is becoming more like a Third World country all the time. Fires in California are largely due to denial and neglect. The ecogroovy populace has been against logging for decades. People refuse to create defensible space around where they live. Communities have not been pro-active.

PG&E is tired of being sued and has used turning off the power as a punitive measure to make an impression on people. They need to get busy and clear their lines of vegetation ASAP, and stop messing with people.

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Learning more about this every day
IT would be best to properly trim trees and maintain lines.
Or bury the lines
But when PG&E sends out tree trimmers residents send lawyers "THey are ruining our trees" and now that they are turning off power "They are spoiling our food" will be the lawyer's claim.. Sadly I suspect the residents will pitch a complaint if they bury the lines too.. but .. Well..

My brother in law is very high up at the DWP in Los Angeles. He told me those tree trimmers only trim the tree back a few inches from the lines. That keeps them employed because they need to be called again next year to trim again. Today they are calling for 80 mph Santa Ana winds. That kind of wind blows huge limbs into the lines that bring them down. California is actually a mountainous desert area sustained only by piped in water. This problem is only going to get worse as the disparity with extreme temperatures generate even greater winds. I think backup generators with transfer switches will become standard there. Gentrac makes good ones, I have one myself that powers 6 circuits with no feedback to the utility lines. I'm really glad I got out of California years ago.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just thinking what was said for a extra 50 million isn't worth it after all the the homes that were burnt the the ground not just a few and over the past 5 years or so really makes little sense IMO that is.

Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> RVs and California's Planned Power Outages
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS