Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RVs and California's Planned Power Outages
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> RVs and California's Planned Power Outages

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All the more reason to have distributed solar and battery systems to reduce transmission lines.
Going to get worse before it gets better.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The situation in California is the intersection of several seemingly unrelated factors. Denial of fire danger. Poor infrastructure (powerlines, roads). Lack of defensible space. People so concerned about the environment that they refuse to manage forests. Lack of government intervention when it actually is required. The whole culture seems to be breaking down. I would move.

I have actually been lured to California several times by high paying jobs. I never lasted very long and have not lived there in over 40 years. Now you can see why.

* This post was edited 11/01/19 08:58am by ppine *

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

T18skyguy wrote:

My brother in law is very high up at the DWP in Los Angeles. He told me those tree trimmers only trim the tree back a few inches from the lines. That keeps them employed because they need to be called again next year to trim again.
No offense to you or your BIL, but I highly doubt that. I work for RPU (Riverside Public Utilities), and we have a constant, ongoing tree trimming program that costs us more than $100,000 per month. LADWP's territory is many times larger than Riversides', so they are undoubtedly spending even more. Also, it is State Law that trees are trimmed a minimum of 18" from electric lines.

crawford wrote:

Just thinking what was said for a extra 50 million isn't worth it after all the the homes that were burnt the the ground not just a few and over the past 5 years or so really makes little sense IMO that is.
50 million dollars wouldn't underground even a half mile of high voltage transmission lines. Just how many miles of overhead lines do you suppose there are in California? 25,000 miles of transmission lines ($150 million PER MILE) and 160,000 miles of distribution lines ($1 to $3 million PER MILE). Do the math: it would cost over $4 TRILLION to bury all of the electric lines in CA.

* This post was last edited 10/31/19 09:04am by 4x4van *   View edit history

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

vjstangelo

virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ArchHoagland wrote:

We keep our coach parked next to the house with a full tank of gas.

If power goes out for a long time I can fire up the generator and run an extension cord to the freezer and refrigerator inside our house.

75 gallons of gas would be good for about a week or so.

In the Loma Prieta earthquake we lived in Salinas and had no power for several days. Discovered you can't buy gas when power is off for days so now my vehicles never get below a half tank and my coach is always full when stored by the house.

Having a free standing generator could be a problem without a lot of gas stored at your home.

Ditto on using the Onan genset on our Class A feeding off of the 70 gal tank.

2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

T18skyguy wrote:

My brother in law is very high up at the DWP in Los Angeles. He told me those tree trimmers only trim the tree back a few inches from the lines. That keeps them employed because they need to be called again next year to trim again.
No offense to you or your BIL, but I highly doubt that. I work for RPU (Riverside Public Utilities), and we have a constant, ongoing tree trimming program that costs us more than $100,000 per month. LADWP's territory is many times larger than Riversides', so they are undoubtedly spending even more. Also, it is State Law that trees are trimmed a minimum of 18" from electric lines.

crawford wrote:

Just thinking what was said for a extra 50 million isn't worth it after all the the homes that were burnt the the ground not just a few and over the past 5 years or so really makes little sense IMO that is.
50 million dollars wouldn't underground even a half mile of high voltage transmission lines. Just how many miles of overhead lines do you suppose there are in California? 25,000 miles of transmission lines ($150 million PER MILE) and 160,000 miles of distribution lines ($1 to $3 million PER MILE). Do the math: it would cost over $4 TRILLION to bury all of the electric lines in CA.

4x4van, I believe what your saying, but how many laws get ignored, and who goes up to measure to enforce it? At a minimum they need to change it to make it many feet instead of inches, particularly with these winds. If your in management at Riverside, you may know my bil. I've heard him talk of Riverside and people there a number of times.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

WVcampground

WV

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

Also, it is State Law that trees are trimmed a minimum of 18" from electric lines.

That's a stupid law, only in California could they have something that.

Here they clear cut the entire right of way easement back to a vertical line, at whatever the edge of the easement is. It's a heck of a lot further than a foot and a half. You can have an 80' white pine on your property with half of it in the easement, and they'll trim the entire one side of it off to a nice plumb straight vertical plane so fast your head will spin.

[image]

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WVcampground wrote:

4x4van wrote:

Also, it is State Law that trees are trimmed a minimum of 18" from electric lines.

That's a stupid law, only in California could they have something that.

Here they clear cut the entire right of way easement back to a vertical line, at whatever the edge of the easement is. It's a heck of a lot further than a foot and a half. You can have an 80' white pine on your property with half of it in the easement, and they'll trim the entire one side of it off to a nice plumb straight vertical plane so fast your head will spin.

[image]
I agree, 18" is not nearly enough. But you also have to remember that CA is inhabited by environmental tree-huggers; they'd prefer that nothing be done to a tree in any way. [emoticon]

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/19 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was told by an Asplundh tree trimming supervisor the standard used by most power companies is 18 feet, not 18 inches. Asplundh is a line clearance contractor that works for many power companies in the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

* This post was edited 11/04/19 06:05pm by Dutch_12078 *

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 05:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if the state law is 18" and the power company trims to 18'. well. that complies.

But stupid and poorly and even TYPOed laws (note the difference between inches and feet in the opening sentence is the SHIFT key). Abound in every state or government from here to there and back again EVERY government. And for that matter Religions as well. Typos happen. that is a fact.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/19 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 18 foot standard is for the lower 4,000-36,000 volt distribution lines typically used to feed the transformers that supply residences and businesses. The higher 200,000+ volt distribution lines typically seen on tall steel or aluminum towers have a complex formula for determining the acceptable clearances in compliance with the ANSI standards developed by the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> RVs and California's Planned Power Outages
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS