cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exercising generator and A/C after winterizing question?

Golferdude21
Explorer
Explorer
I just had my travel trailer winterized for the winter. I want to exercise the generator one more time before it goes into storage for winter....and by doing this, i will need to put a good electric load on it. Am I able to run the A/C without affecting any of the winterization I just had done?? Might be a stupid question, but i know the A/C has condensation and water that builds up and runs off the camper. Just didn't know if it affected any pipes or anything inside the camper.
Thanks in Advance
29 REPLIES 29

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Just change the oil and run a fuel stabilizer through it. No need to run it before or during storage. Short run times are worse than sitting without running. Then in the spring start it up and put a load on it. No need to make it harder than it should be.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Now I understand the theory about generators, but I don't believe it. I've had gennys sit for years and they still pumped out power when fired up.

I too understand what they’re saying, but also understand that this new ‘exercise’ regime only appeared after the word “Cummins” got stuck in front of “Onan”.

It’s also interesting that the below to paragraphs appear in my Owners Manual..

“ONAFRESHTM GXLP FUEL STABILIZER

A premium fuel additive specially formulated for long-lasting prevention of gasoline breakdown during extended RV storage Protects gasoline against gum, varnish and sludge formation, and fuel system corrosion 16 oz bottle treats 40 gallons of gasoline #326-5365

ONAGARDTM STORAGE FOGGING SPRAY
Protects small engines and other mechanical equipment during off-season storage Provides protection for up to six months 12 oz aerosol can #326-5288”

Now why would they produce and promote a product designed to protect an engine during long term storage if they intend it to be ‘exercised’ every month?

Oh, I know!!!!

It’s because they have a bunch of product liability lawyers on staff........

Maybe they came out with those products so that the warehouses, stores, dealers and vehicle manufactures don't have to fire up all those generators every month. :W

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Now I understand the theory about generators, but I don't believe it. I've had gennys sit for years and they still pumped out power when fired up.

I too understand what they’re saying, but also understand that this new ‘exercise’ regime only appeared after the word “Cummins” got stuck in front of “Onan”.

It’s also interesting that the below to paragraphs appear in my Owners Manual..

“ONAFRESHTM GXLP FUEL STABILIZER

A premium fuel additive specially formulated for long-lasting prevention of gasoline breakdown during extended RV storage Protects gasoline against gum, varnish and sludge formation, and fuel system corrosion 16 oz bottle treats 40 gallons of gasoline #326-5365

ONAGARDTM STORAGE FOGGING SPRAY
Protects small engines and other mechanical equipment during off-season storage Provides protection for up to six months 12 oz aerosol can #326-5288”

Now why would they produce and promote a product designed to protect an engine during long term storage if they intend it to be ‘exercised’ every month?

Oh, I know!!!!

It’s because they have a bunch of product liability lawyers on staff........

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Y'all seem to be missing the point that there's differences between a proper long term layup for an engine, a good enough semi short term layup and just plain lack of maintenance. And then there's keeping something in shape by "exercising" it.
Bottom line, before the internet, I used to put my sled up on blocks and run out all the fuel (carbed), other maintenance and fog the engines in the summer. As the years have passed, I have less time to devote to OCD practices, I've learned what works and what doesn't.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
My air conditioner fan may operate during the winter but no way would the compressor kick on because it's controlled by the thermostat which knows it's too freaking cold for AC. Like many/most I use a portable heaters to provide the electric load.
Kevin

Billsten
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
No harm running the AC, but Gen sets should be exercised monthly not just once before storage.

I couldn't agree with you more

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
JaxDad wrote:
way2roll wrote:
It's common sense that letting any engine sit for long periods is worse than not for a number of reasons.

That explains why so many lawnmowers, snowblowers, snowmobiles and boats lead such a short life ...... sitting for half the year unused.

Ditto all the snowbirds who leave their cars locked in a northern garage for 6 months while they enjoy the sunny south.

But just out of curiosity, why would there be a section on storage in the owners manual for a generator? Everybody ‘exercises’ them monthly, right?

Like I said, to each his own. If you want to continue to argue for arguments sake, feel free to PM me. Good luck with your lack of maintenance.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
way2roll wrote:
It's common sense that letting any engine sit for long periods is worse than not for a number of reasons.

That explains why so many lawnmowers, snowblowers, snowmobiles and boats lead such a short life ...... sitting for half the year unused.

Ditto all the snowbirds who leave their cars locked in a northern garage for 6 months while they enjoy the sunny south.

But just out of curiosity, why would there be a section on storage in the owners manual for a generator? Everybody ‘exercises’ them monthly, right?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
IMO, it's partly good practice, partly placebo effect. And I "try" to excercise somethings during the offseason.
Namely fuel injected equipment, but only some. Boat is port injected. It goes away clean happy winterized and full maint in September and comes back out in my or June. 20 years of doing this. Can't run it without de winterizing.
EFI sleds, bikes, etc. Get maint and winter summer ization. Typically the do get started in the off season because it's easy and sometimes necessary to move them.
Small tools, generators, lawn equipment, saws etc get gas drained and run dry. Maint as needed and put up for the season. Or sometimes they get stabilized non eth or a dose of AV gas or race gas depending what's on hand when they are getting put to sleep for winter.
Vehicles, I have and have had vehicles that sit or get mothballed. Sometimes run, sometimes not.
Honestly the only real risk is carbs gumming up or varnishing. If a person has taken care of that and does good maint otherwise, there's no real "need" to excercise.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
JaxDad wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
"The worst thing for a genset is to sit for long periods - especially gas ones."

My Champion has sat for 6 months every year for the past 6 years, hasn't hurt it a bit. Maybe I'm just lucky. 🙂

According to Onan’s website they make about 100,000 RV type generators a year.

If you figure most of the last 20 years of production is still out there in customers rigs, that’s about 2 million units.

I recently bought some slip rings for an Onan I was given out of a derelict RV, someone had tried to ‘clean them up’ with 80 grit emory cloth. The dealer, a big factory shop, said they had to order them, they only sell a handful of them a year. Considering how few people even know about ‘exercising’ a generator let alone actually do it, this is quite amazing.

BTW, the ‘exercise once per month’ edict only appeared after Onan became Cummins Onan.

Strangely enough very few other generator mfg’s recommend this ‘exercise routine either.

I always find humor in posts that go to lengths to prove a reason why not to do something. It's common sense that letting any engine sit for long periods is worse than not for a number of reasons. I would bet my Honda CRV manual doesn't say anything about exercising it's engine either. The stand alone generator we just bought for the house sure does though. An entire section on periodic running and storage. I like my odds on dependability and longevity with monthly exercising. To each his own but I think advising not to do it is bad advice - especially given how easy it is.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Boon Docker wrote:
"The worst thing for a genset is to sit for long periods - especially gas ones."

My Champion has sat for 6 months every year for the past 6 years, hasn't hurt it a bit. Maybe I'm just lucky. 🙂

According to Onan’s website they make about 100,000 RV type generators a year.

If you figure most of the last 20 years of production is still out there in customers rigs, that’s about 2 million units.

I recently bought some slip rings for an Onan I was given out of a derelict RV, someone had tried to ‘clean them up’ with 80 grit emory cloth. The dealer, a big factory shop, said they had to order them, they only sell a handful of them a year. Considering how few people even know about ‘exercising’ a generator let alone actually do it, this is quite amazing.

BTW, the ‘exercise once per month’ edict only appeared after Onan became Cummins Onan.

Strangely enough very few other generator mfg’s recommend this ‘exercise routine either.

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
No harm running the AC, but Gen sets should be exercised monthly not just once before storage.

I have a portable gen and it gets regular exercise. I try to but put half of the max load on it for at least 15 min. So I gather up enough things, hair dryers flood lamps ect. to give me that half load.
Some people never exercise them and than ***** because they dont run right after 6 mo of no use
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Golferdude21
Explorer
Explorer
Ya Genny never sees a drop of ethanol, as well as every other small engine I own

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
I will add about 15 gallons of non-ethynol fuel to my motorhome along with 1 can of seafoam. Drive and run the genny about 15 minutes and park it for the winter. I don't start either until spring. I have done this since 2010 without issue.
Brian