cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Heater Issue

jbrack
Explorer
Explorer
I switched my water heater to gas for the first time in a long while and it fired up but I smelled a burning rubber smell and black soot came from the exhaust and up the side of the coach. The water heater is working and no longer has the smell or soot but it seems it doesn't burn as long as it should. Additionally, I noticed a red light on the inside control panel that I had never seen before the says DSI Fault. I googled that and read that my water heater attempted to light 3 times and failed and was now in a lock down. The cure was to turn the heater off for one minute and turn it back on, which I did. It lights as it should but I just feel the burn time is short. What is my problem?
5 REPLIES 5

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
If you're not handy, have someone clean it up for you. If you are handy, take the burner off and run a rope through the fire tube. It's just a U-tube and it should be easy to get the rope through. Then tie a rag onto the rope and pull it back and forth through the tube to make sure there's no debris in there blocking it. Put the burner back on and fire it up.

Buy some screens made to go over all the holes in the cover for the water heater. I had to put a thin washer under the catch to keep those darn wasps out! While you'er at it, buy screens for your refrigerator and furnace so they don't mess them up too!
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
drsteve wrote:
Check for a dead bug or some other debris in the burner tube.

YEP^^^^^

Propane hadn't been used for awhile then when you did it smelt and had soot

THAT was a mud dabber nest, insects etc in combustion chamber
Need to do some ROUTINE cleaning of burner tube, spark electrode (celan the soot/carbon off), clean out the combustion/exhaust tube.

X2

Donโ€™t try to use propane until you clean it out. If it does stay lit, you could wind up burning the RV down.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:

YEP^^^^^

Propane hadn't been used for awhile then when you did it smelt and had soot

THAT was a mud dabber nest, insects etc in combustion chamber
Need to do some ROUTINE cleaning of burner tube, spark electrode (celan the soot/carbon off), clean out the combustion/exhaust tube.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did the water get hot? If it did, and the fault light didn't come back on. No problem.
I'm guessing the water heater is full of water. Don't laugh. Been there done that. Left the by pass open and the WH didn't fill.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers