Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rolled MH onto the side - and the towed

hikerman
Explorer
Explorer
In Quebec I slid into a ditch with my 2008 Monaco Cayman towing my
2014 Honda CR-V. By the time the MH was drug out of the ditch it was
declared 'totaled'.I was able to drive my Honda toad back home to Texas. It can probably be repaired, but what about DIMINISHED VALUE? 'Rolled on side' would not look good on a Car-Fax.
Does anyone have experience with this situation?
2008 Monaco Cayman XL 35'
2014 Honda CR-V
24 REPLIES 24

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
People get too wrapped up in liking or disliking Carfax. It's no different than any other tool. It should't be your only tool in your box and misused can lead to issues like any other job where you do not have a solid plan.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I just look at it for myself and make my own decisions.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
So what alternative are you considering? :h

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
LanceRKeys wrote:
I think carfax is kind of a joke.

And can contain erroneous info.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
A unibody car that has been rolled onto its side likely has more damage than a few scratches and dents. It may not be repairable due to issues with suspension alignment and structural integrity, or it may simply be too costly (labor intensive) to return it to its original state.

Interested to hear what the body shop has to say about it.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Say what you want about carfax but it is more than we had. I say better to at least have a chance at finding out a car's history than none at all.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

hikerman
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot, we were south of Ottowa headed for the US border when google maps sent us on a very tiny rural road due to a road closure.We were only driving about 10-15mph as a big truck was coming towards us and he had his rt wheel on the 10 inch shoulder. As we tried to match his courtesy, our shoulder gave way! We were rescued by St Michel, Trucking and towing firm. After the tow to storage yard, we spent 5 nights in St-Jean-Sur-Richelieu waiting for the appraiser. Very good people and experience under the conditions.
2008 Monaco Cayman XL 35'
2014 Honda CR-V

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
My last car had several run ins with wildlife. I fixed it all myself, clear carfax. The car I have now has a clear carfax, but the rear bumper doesn’t quite match the rest of the car and the trunk lid doesn’t close just right. Most people would never notice. I think carfax is kind of a joke.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
What aspect of “Diminished Value” are asking about? I’ve only heard that term used when your car is damaged by someone else and want to be compensated for the DV.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Just a note about Carfax.

Contrary to what all the TV ads would like you to believe....

NOT all new or used cars are on Carfax, NOT all service centers report to carfax, NOT all insurance companies report to Carfax.

Basically 'no' one is 'mandated' to report to Carfax. Therefore not ALL cars will show up on Carfax no matter what.

Except in parts of the strange world of California. Some counties do report to Carfax about smogging and also when they do that wonderful nazi act of reporting to carfax and informing you that you must junk your car for smog reasons. :R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“Diminished value” is usually a term for partially determining the amount of loss in a lawsuit, not for what you did to your RV and toad.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Having just returned from a recent trip to Quebec, I would be curious to know where this accident occured. We found a lot of construction and poor driving conditions on our trip. I am so glad to hear you are all safe and well.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
If the toad was insured in Texas, you have a SOL of 2 years to file a diminished value claim against your policy. Texas requires the insurance company to compensate you for diminish value as a matter of law. It's not what you think is right, what the insurance company says is right, what your neighbor thinks is right or what some stranger at the RV park thinks is right; the law says you get it, so you get it.

To prove diminished value and the proper amount is where things get a little bit of a problem. Just like the insurance company used smoke and mirrors to come up with some ridiculous reduce value of a vehicle in a total loss claim, you use their same smoke and mirror tactics to increase your diminished value and force them to pay. You will need to find comparable's that were not in any accident and compare their price (value) to those in a similar accident with damages. The difference is your diminished value.

Don't underestimate how much the insurance company will fight this as not paying diminished value is their gravy profits because so many people don't file these claims. So the insurance company assumes everyone is a fool and fights you hoping for you to give up. Of course, some will not care and simple figure how many people them scammed out of diminished value and pay you what you are entitled too simply because they made so much off those they ripped off by not paying.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Diminished value only comes into play if it was totaled and then repaired or not totaled but repaired improperly! As far as Carfax goes.....well don’t get me started!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!