cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boycott “No Campfires”

Yolue
Explorer
Explorer
We RVers need to Boycott places that don’t allow a special part of the camping experience...”campfires”. It’s bad enough that so many places don’t allow wood fires but not allowing propane campfires is beyond ridiculous.

We carry in our RV a variety of equipment and supplies for a campfire and it’s so disappointing to not be able to use them and enjoy that experience.

I own a small RV park and when we are in a burning ban I have had people cancel their reservation...”Really, we can’t have a campfire?...we will book another time”

I will not book anymore places that don’t allow a campfire.
168 REPLIES 168

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. This thread has crossed the maintenance threshold.

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
No Campfires..........PLEASE post those CGs
Call them out
We should start an ongoing list that gets updated frequently

That way I can pick which ones I will partonize cause I hate campfires!

Not so much hate them.....it's just there are MORE & More inept campers that do NOT know how to have a campfire.
They think smoldering/smokey is good vs an actual fire
And then they go inside!

YEAH.CGs with NO Campfires.
I like the concept

Please post the list - if you find one!

Let the "camper" choose his option...:C

Like OB - I'm in the "no thanks" group - been at too many campgrounds where you choke on your inconsiderate neighbor's smoke..:(

~

x2 "no thanks"

Maybe a solution would be build a very large community fireplace with a chimney. Bring your chair for a group fireplace that is away from the RV's.

I have seen so many people just leave unattended smoky fire pits going all day long.

And WesternRVParkOwner...I agree with your policies and it is rude and inconsiderate to burn your picnic tables or destroy your property.

These facilities are for us all to enjoy, not to trash at your pleasure, for your camping "experience".

How would you all like to check into a Hotel where the previous occupant broke the chairs, marred the dressers, and scratched up the TV? Good grief. What happened to respecting other peoples property.

Put your grill on the ground...not the owner's picnic tables!

No one wants to use the picnic table that the previous, inconsiderate camper, has charred to a crisp because they are too lazy to put their grill on the ground.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Each park owner can do as they please. If you don't like it, camp somewhere else- youll both be much happier.
Just stop whining about it. It gives us all a bad name.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yolue wrote:
We RVers need to Boycott places that don’t allow a special part of the camping experience...”campfires”. It’s bad enough that so many places don’t allow wood fires but not allowing propane campfires is beyond ridiculous.

Though I do not do campfires much anymore (Did enjoy them when wife was alive)

Some places due to drought conditions or other conditions dis-allow wood campfires.. Not the campground but the Govermaurent. And in some cases the ban is not specific enough so even propane fires may be prohibited. I some even a charcoal grill may be prohibited.

Many many many many Times I have seen what would have been a very good law.. Very poorly written so that it went far beyond the author's intent. Usually they fix it when that happens. but not always and the fix may take time.

Example.. a Ban on electronic communications when driving can be so broad it bans the Police officer's 2-way radio. Have seen it.. Thankfully amended to allow 2-way radio of the Type the police officer (And I though not a cop) use.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
This sure has turned into a long discussion thread that wouldn't even be necessary ... if RV campfire lovers merely switched to one of the modern high output propane firepits.

We found a place for one in our largest RV outside storage compartment and have never regretted it. It sure makes RV life less complicated and hassle-free, while at the same time still pleasant ... for sitting around a campfire in the evenings "just about anywhere, anytime".

🙂
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj wrote:
So from my point of view "everyone else" pays for the actions of a few one way or another. Either they pay in the form of more rules & restrictions or they pay in the form of higher prices to cover the park's losses. I tend to prefer the second option as it at least leans toward a perception of more freedom and the "price" isn't as explicit.
But it isn't necessarily an "either-or" proposition, it can be a combination of both: higher prices with more regulations.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
So from my point of view "everyone else" pays for the actions of a few one way or another. Either they pay in the form of more rules & restrictions or they pay in the form of higher prices to cover the park's losses. I tend to prefer the second option as it at least leans toward a perception of more freedom and the "price" isn't as explicit.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
am1958 wrote:
It is pretty apparent you are one of those people who feel that paying a site fee allows you to do whatever you want, damaging property included, and let the costs incurred be borne by the park owner and future guests.

Absolutely not. I pick up the trash left by others and leave none of my own. My fires are well made and tended. When I leave a site I leave it better than I found it. Most campers do do such things. You, on the other hand, are clearly of the opinion that you need to dumb everything down for everyone. Possibly because it makes your life easier not to have to go and visit sites when people have left and see what they have done. If they have damaged stuff charge them for it. It's not rocket science but it does take some additional work...

Surely you are intelligent enough to realize the damage done by people. You are living in a bubble if not .You say most, I won't argue that, unfortunately the few do enough to have to have the rules. You said it yourself picking up after others.

I don't know how big his RV park is, but gotta be pretty fun running around looking for offenders that have destroyed his property. Just the damage done in the bathrooms, got any ideas for that ,so he charge them for the damage.

What you are saying is don't have the rules because I behave myself, and shouldn't have to be restricted for the actions of others, the only one that should take the brunt of the few is the owner of the park .
Much of what our tax dollars pay for is because of the few. We have police, criminal courts and courthouses, jails, prosecutors and defense lawyers because a few people commit crimes. Nations have armies because a few people decide there is a need to go to war. Yes, "the few" has undoubtedly been civilizations biggest problem since the dawn of time.
And you are right, it is next to impossible to collect damages. A melted picnic table is camouflaged by a tablecloth until after the guest has left. Then it would become a he said/she said conversation with either the guest or their credit card company. Like you said, common area problems are completely without a culprit. And we even had an incident where the guest positively agreed to pay for some significant damages, unfortunately it was with a check drawn on an account they closed right after writing the check and driving down the road. Prevention is just much easier and cost effective than seeking a cure.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
am1958 wrote:
It is pretty apparent you are one of those people who feel that paying a site fee allows you to do whatever you want, damaging property included, and let the costs incurred be borne by the park owner and future guests.

Absolutely not. I pick up the trash left by others and leave none of my own. My fires are well made and tended. When I leave a site I leave it better than I found it. Most campers do do such things. You, on the other hand, are clearly of the opinion that you need to dumb everything down for everyone. Possibly because it makes your life easier not to have to go and visit sites when people have left and see what they have done. If they have damaged stuff charge them for it. It's not rocket science but it does take some additional work...

Surely you are intelligent enough to realize the damage done by people. You are living in a bubble if not .You say most, I won't argue that, unfortunately the few do enough to have to have the rules. You said it yourself picking up after others.

I don't know how big his RV park is, but gotta be pretty fun running around looking for offenders that have destroyed his property. Just the damage done in the bathrooms, got any ideas for that ,so he charge them for the damage.

What you are saying is don't have the rules because I behave myself, and shouldn't have to be restricted for the actions of others, the only one that should take the brunt of the few is the owner of the park .

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crowe - unfortunately, if the people on this forum are representative of RVers in general, "if you don't like the rules, go elsewhere" isn't a choice. Instead they must demand that anyone who does things differently is bad and must be destroyed. Doesn't matter how much easier it would be to just find a park that meets your wants and needs and stay away from those that don't. Heaven forbid, another RVer purposely choose that other park - we must save them from themselves.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Let's see now... Boycotter count 3 - maybe 4?

Cheech and Chong said it best: "The worlds coming to an end and I don't even care! As long as I can have my Limo and my orange hair!"
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
am1958 wrote:

Just curious if most campers pick up after themselves, why do you find it necessary to pick up after the camper that was at your site previously? Perhaps they're fire making skills are also not at the same level as yours.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
am1958 wrote:

Once I'm gone how is he going to charge me?
And if somebody sees your fire, and decides "I can do better!" and their bonfire distorts the siding on your camper? Hard to pin down another guest, but your lawyer can find the park owner.
Personally, I like to have a campfire in cool weather. If hot, light a candle in the ring. But most people, including me, seam to have a issue putting the fire out when they go to bed. If it is getting colder, hard not feed the fire. I solve the problem by laying the fire, fill a paper sack with kindling, and take the sack inside for the night. Early morning, put sack in fire, light it and go back inside to watch thru window while make coffee. Enjoy nice fire, have a bed of coals to fix breakfast, let it go out as the day warms.

am1958
Explorer
Explorer