Did you mean:ย 

Broken Spring

Gray_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
We got home with the broken spring 175mi no problem, We

took it to a spring shop in Prov. R I an they replaced both spring on

the same side new bolts an shackles. I may do the other side before we

leave for Mich. next spring, all winterize for now..
Gray Fox
2014 F350 4x4 Diesel Lariat
2009 HitchHiker-LS 34.5 RLTG
Always keep moving so you don't seize up.
10 REPLIES 10

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
My replacement springs came from these guys, installed by my local Big O tire shop:

http://www.aaaspring.com/
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
The second spring has found a semi-permanent home residing in the bed of our truck.

On another forum an RV'r posted regarding the difficulty he once had when he had a broken spring while traveling and could not easily find the correct size. From that point on he ensured that springs were part of his spare parts inventory.

In trying to learn from others, I have done the same, and 2 spares with bronze bushings inserted reside under our bed in the RV.
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry, you left out โ€œwannabeโ€.....as in, wannabe Wyoming rancher/cowboy! ๐Ÿ˜‰ memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
memtb wrote:
In more than 30 yards of rvโ€™ing, weโ€™ve experienced 3 broken springs.....two in the last 3 years. Two of these were on while on the road. The most recent, discovered when making my โ€œwalk-aroundโ€ while doing an afternoon refueling at a truck stop 50+ miles south of Lincoln, Ne. We spent the night in the truck stop while a cold front pushed-through, setting a low temperature record in Lincoln. The next morning we drove into Lincoln (after getting permission to leave the 5er in the lot), and bought 2 springs. I replaced the spring (it was cold work)and we were back on the road by 10:00or so. The second spring has found a semi-permanent home residing in the bed of our truck. We should โ€œneverโ€ break another.....as we are now prepared.

It seems that our repairs always happen during somewhat โ€œextremeโ€ temps. :M The previous spring change was done in an asphalt parking lot in Mesa, Az.....in August! I did that repair in early morning, while it was a little cooler....but rapidly getting hot. I was very thankful for the large piece of โ€œAstro-turfโ€, I keep for putting on tire chains ( mud or snow), which helped โ€œinsulateโ€ me from the hot asphalt!

And then, there was that wheel bearing / brake assembly replacement during the Christmas Holidays, several years ago. Done in a campground, with morning temperatures below 0F. That required more than one cup of โ€œhot chocolateโ€!

Rvโ€™โ€™ing can certainly be an adventure ! We should write a book! memtb

Lol, an adventure for a tough Wyoming rancher/cowboy, but a nightmare for some of us softer city boys. :B Good for you, to tackle these jobs, get er done, and back on the road!!

Jerry

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
In more than 30 yards of rvโ€™ing, weโ€™ve experienced 3 broken springs.....two in the last 3 years. Two of these were on while on the road. The most recent, discovered when making my โ€œwalk-aroundโ€ while doing an afternoon refueling at a truck stop 50+ miles south of Lincoln, Ne. We spent the night in the truck stop while a cold front pushed-through, setting a low temperature record in Lincoln. The next morning we drove into Lincoln (after getting permission to leave the 5er in the lot), and bought 2 springs. I replaced the spring (it was cold work)and we were back on the road by 10:00or so. The second spring has found a semi-permanent home residing in the bed of our truck. We should โ€œneverโ€ break another.....as we are now prepared.

It seems that our repairs always happen during somewhat โ€œextremeโ€ temps. :M The previous spring change was done in an asphalt parking lot in Mesa, Az.....in August! I did that repair in early morning, while it was a little cooler....but rapidly getting hot. I was very thankful for the large piece of โ€œAstro-turfโ€, I keep for putting on tire chains ( mud or snow), which helped โ€œinsulateโ€ me from the hot asphalt!

And then, there was that wheel bearing / brake assembly replacement during the Christmas Holidays, several years ago. Done in a campground, with morning temperatures below 0F. That required more than one cup of โ€œhot chocolateโ€!

Adventures for sure, Todd!

I had our springs replaced after our May-June 5200 mile road trip. US-made with a heavier rating and raised the rig between 4 and 5โ€. Next spring, after the winter season parked in Mesquite, NV, Iโ€™ll have wet bolts installed.
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

memtb
Explorer
Explorer

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Should've added wet bolts!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
I'd do the other side, the springs on both side are the same age. Springs, brakes, bearings: do all at the same time.

glad you got back and got ll fixed up... Probably a good idea to look into the other side before next years trip....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Which camp do you inhabit? If one spring is weak, so is the other. Or one spring was faulty?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad