cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Internet! Specifically video calling/conferencing!

kvg4
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All!

Hoping to hear from those who use video calling or video conferencing on the road. What is your internet set up that allows you to do that? I am primarily in Canada but am in the US sometimes too.

I need to see clients on an online video platform and apparently wrongfully assumed that getting a phone with a company claiming the best data coverage would allow me to do that on the road. The video is so choppy and cuts outs, even using an app that claims to work on 2G or 3G. The coverage map claims Iโ€™m in an area with LTE โ€œsuper fastโ€ and itโ€™s showing LTE on my phone.

I currently have access to my families home to use wifi as back up but I really want to be able to see my clients on the road wherever I am. How have you made it work? Thank you in advance!!
11 REPLIES 11

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
kvg4 wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Try Google Duo. Works great!

Thatโ€™s what I tried yesterday and it was awful quality. Sound cutting out, horrible lag, my client kept saying they missed what I said.

You must have a bad internet connection then. The service works perfectly for me using T-Mobile. No drop outs and I have used it at multiple locations throughout the US.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I suggest trying "what'sapp" https://www.whatsapp.com/ It offers end to end ecription, allows voice, video, and voice messaging as well as plain old typing. I've used it successfully internationally to the UK, France, and USA from Canada, on my cell phones (bell Canada and Sasktel).

kvg4 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
What App are you trying to use?

I used zoom on my old data plan and there was a lag on my clients end, Iโ€™ll be giving it another shot with my new data plan. Yesterday I tried to use google duo Andy it was awful quality.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

cooperwl
Explorer
Explorer
I teach English online to children in China from my rv. I'm currently at a rural lake campground in Missouri. I use proprietary two-way software. For a data connection, I use a Verizon Novatel 8800L MiFi via 4gLTE. The 8800L uses carrier aggregation to improve the data connection. Usually, I don't have too much lag.

kvg4
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Ten years you would have been lucky or very rich to even have voice service. If you are lucky or have LOTs of money, you might get what you want in another ten years. Over the air now just does not have the bandwidth to carry what you want except in limited local areas.

Well Iโ€™m not that kind of lucky!! I know people do this though. Iโ€™ve seen posts of people who teach kids English oversees and that requires consistent video calls. Maybe theyโ€™re rich but Iโ€™d still like to hear about their set up.

kvg4
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

Thatโ€™s what I tried yesterday and it was awful quality. Sound cutting out, horrible lag, my client kept saying they missed what I said.

kvg4
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

I used zoom on my old data plan and there was a lag on my clients end, Iโ€™ll be giving it another shot with my new data plan. Yesterday I tried to use google duo Andy it was awful quality.

kvg4
Explorer
Explorer
navigator2346 wrote:
Maybe it is your video conferencing program you are using. I use a program called ZOOM No chop video using a VZ hotspot. I also use a T Mobile hotspot sometimes

Zoom is what Iโ€™ve always used and have tried to use on data in the past but there was a lag. I havenโ€™t used it on my current data plan though so maybe Iโ€™ll give it another shot. Do your hotspots use data? What areas are you using it in as far as more urban vs. rural? Thank you!

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe it is your video conferencing program you are using. I use a program called ZOOM No chop video using a VZ hotspot. I also use a T Mobile hotspot sometimes

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Ten years you would have been lucky or very rich to even have voice service. If you are lucky or have LOTs of money, you might get what you want in another ten years. Over the air now just does not have the bandwidth to carry what you want except in limited local areas.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.