cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disinfecting water lines

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Are there issues using a fresh water source and a fresh water hose to flush the black tank in a Solitude 369RL? Do we need to be concerned about any bacteria going from the black tank itself up to the connection point of the garden hose that we use? We don't really want to do this at a dump station.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
18 REPLIES 18

I really do think there is any chance of contamination... BUT still use a separate black hose for that..

The way I see it, If I cannot afford a second ( black ) hose, I probably shouldn't be RV'ing...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
How is bacteria going to go against the flow of water and into your hose?
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
B.O. Plenty wrote:
I don't know what difference it makes. No matter which hose you use, they are both connected to same spigot for the water supply. What am I missing here?

B.O.

The difference is normally 10 to 20 feet of hose. The female end of the hose never comes in contact with the connection to the sewer flush. If you use the same hose the male end of the hose moves from the sewer flush connection to the fresh water connection. Much more likely to transfer contaminates.

One thing I did to my black water flush system was add another check valve right at the hose connection. My original setup had a check valve installed near the tank. When I would disconnect the hose, I would get a small amount of back flow. I know this was water that never made it into the tank or even past the original check valve about 10 feet away. But I still didn't want it flowing into my wet bay.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
klr650goldwing wrote:
Okay thanks BUT. So if I take my black hose and hook it to the fresh water spigot at my campsite and hook THE OTHER END to the black tank sanitizer on my trailer and flush the black tank, then, in that event, the next guy to camp in this camp site, who hooks up his white fresh water hose to the fresh water spigot will have no ill effects. RIGHT?

Correct.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
We use 2 separate hoses also....white & green. Sometimes I hook the splitter up, but not usually.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
I start with a regulator connected to the water supply.
Then I install a splitter valve.
On one side of the splitter, I install a water filter and white fresh water hose, which I then connect to the fressh water supply on the camper.
The other side of the splitter, I connect a green water hose (no significance to green other than it is not white or blue drinking water hoses). Then put a spray nozzle on the green.
Leave the green side of the splitter off until I need some water outside or until breaking camp.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know what difference it makes. No matter which hose you use, they are both connected to same spigot for the water supply. What am I missing here?

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Okay thanks BUT. So if I take my black hose and hook it to the fresh water spigot at my campsite and hook THE OTHER END to the black tank sanitizer on my trailer and flush the black tank, then, in that event, the next guy to camp in this camp site, who hooks up his white fresh water hose to the fresh water spigot will have no ill effects. RIGHT?
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 separate hoses BUT, I've been known to use my freshwater hose if my rinser hose won't reach. Don't tell my wife!
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Back flow valve will solve any issues. I use a seperate hose for for flush and clean up. This is why when you pull up to a dump station the water source always has a sign Non Potable Water. The water is the same they just don't want somebody back flowing into a water hose and using that hose to fill the fresh water tanks. YUCK
JMHO
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
all those toys and you don't want to spring for a $10 hose?
bumpy

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
For many years I managed a chemistry lab and safety was a priority. The best practice is procedures where an accident cannot occur rather than procedures that depend on people or inanimate objects behaving properly.

So, I always use two hoses one for drinking water and the other for other things.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too use separate hoses. While the actual chances of contamination are slim, Iโ€™d rather not recycle what I already put down the black tank. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
I use the same hose. Whatever may come up that flushing pipe, and past the backflow preventer, onto the connection (which would be zero), will be flushed away as soon as i turn on the water to flush the tank. But That's Just Me, YOMV.