cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windshield Replacement Recommendations

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
The front windshield (1 piece) on our 2012 Winnebago Vista was damaged and needs to be replaced. Insurance pays all but deductable.

Anyone who has had this done have recommendations on who would be the best for the job? Body shop? Rv Shop? Safelight?

Thanks
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad
14 REPLIES 14

sullivanclan
Explorer
Explorer
How often are people having to replace their class A windshields....how many miles you getting out of it before such a replacement?
2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to sent out an update.

My insurance company settled and cut me a check to repair the windshield. I decided to use RV Glass Solutions as recommended by others. The shop doing the actual work is All Clear Glass out of Danville, VA.

It turns out every cloud has a silver lining. Upon removing the windshield All Clear identified extensive rust on the frame below the existing glass adhesive. There was no leaking but I'm sure that had this situation remained unidentified it would have resulted in big problems down the line.

Further, I was aware that old Winnebago Class A's had this problem, but thought they had fixed this problem with newer units (mine is a 2012). Wrong.

Anyway, the vendor wire brushed away the rust and applied a rust inhibitor which will hopefully slow down the process.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Tntman
Explorer
Explorer
If your head Red Bay, Al, call Dave Hester at 256-810-9974. He replaced my windshield three times, excellent work.
ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST,
Mike, Jill and our dog Goshe
Our Booger dog is with us in a custom urn, miss ya Boogs
2003 Tiffin Phaeton, Roadmaster tow products, 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Good Sam, SKP, FMCA F292654

Five2o
Explorer
Explorer
I used a joint in Lake Havasu...they cut the vinyl on my dashboard removing the old glass. Never mentioned it and I found the damage a week later. Fully inspect before & after!

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
I had to replace the windshield on my 2016 Newmar BayStar. Also a large one piece. Insurance pays 100% here in SC for all glass claims if you have comp coverage. Used the Binswanger glass company. They came to my home, measured, ordered, delivered and installed here. Brought enough people to assure it wouldnโ€™t get dropped... Did a great job. BTW they ordered from the same company that made the original.

Agreed! There are a lot of glass replacement companies that use "good enough" glass that is NOT the same quality as the original glass. (read: cheaper) Often you'll find that these windshields crack, star fracture, delaminate, and pit more easily than the factory glass. The original glass may not be available due to time constraints, location, age, limited production, or dimensional details, but if it is, ask about it and request it. Your insurance will pay for it, they just prefer not to.

Chum lee

macjom
Explorer
Explorer
Had mine replaced once with RV Glass solutions. The company did a good job and their customer service was very helpful.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I had one replaced a few years ago, my insurance company recommended a company. They came and replaced the windshield at my home. They did want some numbers off the old glass. I don't know what would happen if I couldn't have given them to them.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

C20
Explorer
Explorer
I would never ever use RV glass solutions! Sent me to a shop and they broke a mirror and trim piece and if I hadn't been watching them we're going to put the screws on the trim back into caulk instead of the clips.

I spent another
$500 fixing the things they broke. RV glass tried to dun me for my $250 deductible!!
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
We live on Long Island NY and had to replace the 1 pc windshield in our Winnebago. Went through the glass repair people associated with FMCA; can't remember the name. Went to a local auto body shop, the only ones to bid the job and they could not handle it; did not realize it was one pc. They wound up getting a crew from 45 miles away to come out and do the job. Turns out that, I'm guessing due to liability issues, few if any shops in the Northeast will touch one pc windshields. Glass firm said next time we need a windshield go to FL, AZ or CA where there is no problem.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use an auto glass shop, they are professionals at what they do. The body shops do not do this work themselves, they call in the glass shops and show it as a sublet repair on their billing. Many of the glass shops will be able to come to where you are and do the work, weather permitting.

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
vjstangelo wrote:
I called RV Glass as suggested and in my area of Central VA they would subcontract out to a local auto glass company. I will wait to see what the Geico adjuster says since there is a bit of damage (cosmetic) to the passenger side rail. If it goes to a body shop then I will have to find out to whom they would subcontract.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
I called Nationwide and in my area of Central VA they would subcontract out to a local auto glass company. I will wait to see what the Geico adjuster says since there is a bit of damage (cosmetic) to the passenger side rail. If it goes to a body shop then I will have to find out to whom they would subcontract.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had to replace the windshield on my 2016 Newmar BayStar. Also a large one piece. Insurance pays 100% here in SC for all glass claims if you have comp coverage. Used the Binswanger glass company. They came to my home, measured, ordered, delivered and installed here. Brought enough people to assure it wouldnโ€™t get dropped... Did a great job. BTW they ordered from the same company that made the original.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used this Nationwide company. They came to the house and handled everything with my insurance company. Very professional and only took about an hour start to finish. RV Glass Solutions