cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slides- Important stuff AND what they don't tell you.

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
After 20+ years of RVing and the DW NOT appreciating me passing her in the narrow "hallway", we will soon own a camper with a slide out. So a question that goes in the NEWBIE forum 🙂

First war stories- We just almost struck out on finding one that was "fully usable" with the slide in...Just in the past year, OK floor plans were changed to things were the slideout really blocks tings!

Second- what happens when the slide is only out a little bit- It appears we might want to bump it out just a foot or so for the lunch break?

Third- what else are the watchouts? I'll have to learn a new way to "watch for" the power pedestal to know that I will miss it when the slide goes out. Are there ramifications for water proofing, or gaps underneath with it partially out.

I think I know that you need to be sure you don't trap a bunch of leaves & other stuff in when you close it up.

Thanks.
17 REPLIES 17

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Never had a problem with the slides on my last 2 trailers. I personally would not own a trailer without slides.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Good, informative replies. Thanks!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
They're not magic, you don't need a parts truck following you around, they're handy and sometimes stuff breaks, not unlike every other mechanical thing.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I have three on mine and they’re used ALOT. All of them have toppers to keep the debris out. Only problem I’ve had was one of them wouldn’t go out until I gave it a boost. It’s a rack and pinion type and the stop can got out of adjustment. That caused it to bind. Then can is not square and it basically got upside down. Easy fix if you know about it.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
My tip:
Absolutely every time you retract the slides, sweep off their roofs so debrie won't damage the rubber seals and bugs and gunk will not pass under the seals and get inside the camper.

If it has been raining, take the extra few minutes and dry off their roofs right before retracting. This keep a LOT of water out of the inside of the camper that will evaporate and be trapped inside the camper. Dry and clean... every time!

When opening them, double check to make sure no cabinet doors or something else came open, or fell on the floor blocking their pathway and breaking whatever may be in their path. Cabinet doors loose every time!

Lwiddis wrote:
I put reflective red and white tape on my slide’s three sides....may save some grief.

Me too. I started first on the MorRyde steps, as we have a back door on the opposite side of the camper and bathroom is accessed on that side when slides are in. Lowering the step at rest stops and such, I was concerned about traffic not noticing the steps. So the reflective tape can not hurt get attention that something is protruding, it sure can't hurt.

That led to the reflective tape on each end of each slide. This helps in my own driveway, as I leave for work before sunrise and back around the camper in the dark. That reflective tape helps me see the slides a whole lot easier.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
I love my slide. It gives a sense of a lot more space than my TT actually has.

Agree with the others saying you need to learn how your slide system works, how to operate it manually (or with a drill), and do a basic temporary repair in case its ever needed. Theres some great utube videos on all of those things.

When we went shopping last, a Requirement was that we could use the bathroom and the kitchen with the slide(s) fully In. That's important for us to be able to grab some throne time or eat lunch while in transit to our next destination. TTs without that floorplan aren't an option for us. But remember to get whats important to You.

oh, should also say that ive been camping many years and have never had a stuck slide problem.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is amazing how much space a slide provides. If you really need space inside then you will need a slide.

I had one for a few years about 10 years ago. I did have trouble with mine. Luckily I could hand crank mine in or out so I was never stuck anywhere. I would seriously advise you to look into a slide out awning to protect the top of you slide. I was out in the late fall, fishing in Montana when it snowed a couple of inches one night. The next day the sun came out and things warmed a bit. The second night it snowed another inch followed by another nice day and warmer temperatures. When it came time to head home, I had a nice block of ice on top of the slide. It wouldn't move in and I couldn't get on to of the trailer. It was a real challenge but we managed to McGiver a solution. I also had water leak into the trailer when bringing the slide in during rain storms. It was a challenge.

If I were buying a trailer with a slide these days, I would ask about these kinds of issues. I am sure they are better than the one I had.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will answer some of the questions.

What happens if you put the slide out just part way..
Sunsine.. Nothing bad. oh there is some air leakage but nothing bad

Rain. You may get rain inside the RV as the slide is not sealed when partially in/out.

What happes when the slide fails?

Depends on the slide. On mine I have two different types. So far the Accu-Slide has basically not had a serious failure (one time I had to hook my drill/screwdriver to it to get it started in) the main slide (power gear)

Well I buy 1/4" Grade 8 bolts by the dozen along with washers and nuts.
But if I have a total failure I'm big enough to disengage the gears and push the blasted thing in/out.. Don't like doing it. but I can. 2 people it's easier.

Be sure to move it only an inch or two at a time till you have it in like 6 inches then go for it.. Out is easier.

Hydraulic.. i've hand pumped one in .

Tons of fun.

After 14.5 years I need to replace the floor in my main slide as it dropped down and locked the slide in the out position (I figured it out. lifted it with a jack and plank and got it in) new floor is just outside my door awaiting techinican. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Explorer II
Explorer II
craig7h wrote:
3) As for power pedestals an easy way is to cut a rope the length of travel the slide makes. Go out and check with the length of rope if you clear the power pedestal.
Here's my tip:
Our slides pop out 3 feet. That's fingertip to belly button when I hold out my arm. I gauge slide clearance by standing next to the slide, facing towards the front of the camper, holding up my arm and touching the slide with my fingertip. Anything closer to the slide than my belly button (or nose) will contact.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
1) When I go looking the first thing is, what can I get to with the slide in. Important for me is the frig, toilet, bed (DW likes to nap while traveling), microwave. Those models are out there it just takes a little work to find.

2) I would never open a slide part way, but that's just me. I feel you are asking for trouble by doing that. I know that the schwintek brand of slide states all over do not stop slide part way. If you do the motors will get out of sync and you will be in for big problem.

3) As for power pedestals an easy way is to cut a rope the length of travel the slide makes. Go out and check with the length of rope if you clear the power pedestal.

Making sure that all of the seals are in good shape and in the correct location will make a big difference in the water proof issue. Having a awning topper on the slide makes a big difference in keeping the top clean.

I have had two rigs with no plumbing on the slide and one rig with plumbing on the slide. I am in favor of no plumbing, propane, on the slide. I had no problem with it but I only had the rig a couple of years. I could just see things happening easier with moving pipes.

Out of all I think the most important is what can you get to with the slide in.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
Almost all slides have a manual crank for retraction if the motor goes bad.

Make sure you know how to operate it manually before you need to. Crawl under and operate the manual crank while it is in your driveway. Better to figure out how to do it before you need to crawl in the mud, in the dark, with flashlight in one hand while DW is reading the instructions to you...

Watch out for trees, fences, pedestals etc while positioning the rig in a site. I know mine extends 42 inches. I carry a tape measure in the glove box to check clearances.
While retracting, check for anything getting trapped between the slide and main wall.

OTOH under the slide is a dandy spot to stash large items in your campsite. Out of the way and out of the rain.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Our old 5th wheel 2002 bought new had it till just a few months ago. Only had a problem with the slide out one time a couple years back. It would not go out even and only a foot or so. Some how lost the bolt that connected the drive gear rod connecting the side gear rail together. Put in a new bolt no more problem.
One of the reasons we chose the floor plan on our new 5th wheel you have full access to everything in it but one section of cabinets when the slides is in.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've had slides for the last 15 years and never had a problem. They do warn against using them partially out but we often put it out for lunch breaks on the road. They don't want you stepping on the unsupported edge.
As far as being able to use everything with the slide in, that's just not important to us. It's only a matter of pushing a button for a few seconds and they're out or in.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I put reflective red and white tape on my slide’s three sides....may save some grief.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad