Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Slides- Important stuff AND what they don't tell you.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Slides- Important stuff AND what they don't tell you.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
K3WE

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After 20+ years of RVing and the DW NOT appreciating me passing her in the narrow "hallway", we will soon own a camper with a slide out. So a question that goes in the NEWBIE forum :-)

First war stories- We just almost struck out on finding one that was "fully usable" with the slide in...Just in the past year, OK floor plans were changed to things were the slideout really blocks tings!

Second- what happens when the slide is only out a little bit- It appears we might want to bump it out just a foot or so for the lunch break?

Third- what else are the watchouts? I'll have to learn a new way to "watch for" the power pedestal to know that I will miss it when the slide goes out. Are there ramifications for water proofing, or gaps underneath with it partially out.

I think I know that you need to be sure you don't trap a bunch of leaves & other stuff in when you close it up.

Thanks.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

buy all the spare parts you can. and learn how to fix it before it breaks,, cause it will break ,and just when you don,t want it too. and a rachet strap that,ll go all the way around your rv.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It must be time to sell.
We made a 7K trip, nothing broke. A first time for 13 years.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had slides in both of our last two trailers and never had a major problem or had to buy any parts. This is over a period of about 25 years and our current trailer is 15 years old with only one occurrence of a slight problem.

This problem happened while traveling. After an overnight stop, the slide would not go in evenly. One side would go in and the other would not move. It took two men and myself to push it back in so we could continue our journey. We left it in until we reached our Florida destination and called a mobile RV tech. He came out, crawled under the trailer, stayed about one minute and the slide worked great! Seems the shaft connecting the two sides from the motor had slipped out of its' connection because the keeper bolt had loosened up. He simply slid it back into position and tightened the bolt and we never had a problem since. Our trailer is now 15 years old.

We have always had a slide topper on our slideouts. They keep all the twigs and leaves off of it and also the rain. They also help keep the interior cooler durning warm weather. What twigs and leave do fall on it just drop off as it rolls up with the slide. If they are wet and sticky, I just stand there with a broom and brush them off as they come into view. No ladders needed.

There is no problem with putting them partially out during a lunch break. Just do it in an area where someone won't run into it. If you have room then I would put it all the way out. I would not leave it like that overnight or for a long period of time however since it will not be sealed up against the trailer wall and will probably leak during rain and let in bugs.

You have already discovered most of the "gotcha's". I put a piece of black elect. tape around our awning rod to indicate the distance our slideout projected.
That way I could make sure it would not hit a tree or power pedestal in tight quarter. Our slides have been almost totally trouble free for over 25 years and I would not have a trailer without one.

Hope this helps. [emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Lwiddis

Near Mammoth, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put reflective red and white tape on my slide’s three sides....may save some grief.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had slides for the last 15 years and never had a problem. They do warn against using them partially out but we often put it out for lunch breaks on the road. They don't want you stepping on the unsupported edge.
As far as being able to use everything with the slide in, that's just not important to us. It's only a matter of pushing a button for a few seconds and they're out or in.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our old 5th wheel 2002 bought new had it till just a few months ago. Only had a problem with the slide out one time a couple years back. It would not go out even and only a foot or so. Some how lost the bolt that connected the drive gear rod connecting the side gear rail together. Put in a new bolt no more problem.
One of the reasons we chose the floor plan on our new 5th wheel you have full access to everything in it but one section of cabinets when the slides is in.

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

dave54

Northeast CA.

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almost all slides have a manual crank for retraction if the motor goes bad.

Make sure you know how to operate it manually before you need to. Crawl under and operate the manual crank while it is in your driveway. Better to figure out how to do it before you need to crawl in the mud, in the dark, with flashlight in one hand while DW is reading the instructions to you...

Watch out for trees, fences, pedestals etc while positioning the rig in a site. I know mine extends 42 inches. I carry a tape measure in the glove box to check clearances.
While retracting, check for anything getting trapped between the slide and main wall.

OTOH under the slide is a dandy spot to stash large items in your campsite. Out of the way and out of the rain.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 04:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1) When I go looking the first thing is, what can I get to with the slide in. Important for me is the frig, toilet, bed (DW likes to nap while traveling), microwave. Those models are out there it just takes a little work to find.

2) I would never open a slide part way, but that's just me. I feel you are asking for trouble by doing that. I know that the schwintek brand of slide states all over do not stop slide part way. If you do the motors will get out of sync and you will be in for big problem.

3) As for power pedestals an easy way is to cut a rope the length of travel the slide makes. Go out and check with the length of rope if you clear the power pedestal.

Making sure that all of the seals are in good shape and in the correct location will make a big difference in the water proof issue. Having a awning topper on the slide makes a big difference in keeping the top clean.

I have had two rigs with no plumbing on the slide and one rig with plumbing on the slide. I am in favor of no plumbing, propane, on the slide. I had no problem with it but I only had the rig a couple of years. I could just see things happening easier with moving pipes.

Out of all I think the most important is what can you get to with the slide in.

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

craig7h wrote:

3) As for power pedestals an easy way is to cut a rope the length of travel the slide makes. Go out and check with the length of rope if you clear the power pedestal.
Here's my tip:
Our slides pop out 3 feet. That's fingertip to belly button when I hold out my arm. I gauge slide clearance by standing next to the slide, facing towards the front of the camper, holding up my arm and touching the slide with my fingertip. Anything closer to the slide than my belly button (or nose) will contact.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Slides- Important stuff AND what they don't tell you.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.