cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moki Dugway, can I do it?

2manydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving Cortez Co. for destinations in the west, was just wondering if it is doable for us being what we are, a long bed Ford DRW towing a 14 ft. utility cargo trailer on a 42 inch extension which enables us good maneuverability for some very tight spots. Our truck camper is a Arctic Fox 992 on a 2012 Ford DRW 6.7 diesel.
20 REPLIES 20

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
2manydogs wrote:
Leaving Cortez Co. for destinations in the west, was just wondering if it is doable for us being what we are, a long bed Ford DRW towing a 14 ft. utility cargo trailer on a 42 inch extension which enables us good maneuverability for some very tight spots. Our truck camper is a Arctic Fox 992 on a 2012 Ford DRW 6.7 diesel.
you are

I've been on the Moki Dugway several times and I've seen rigs longer than your tackle this road, just swing wide on the curves and take it slow.

Me and a friend on the Moki Dugway.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
2manydogs wrote:
you are

I've been on the Moki Dugway several times and I've seen rigs longer than your tackle this road, just swing wide on the curves and take it slow.

Me and a friend on the Moki Dugway.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
It's really pretty tame.
Cal

2manydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great information and pics.
I’ll report back in a couple days on how it all went.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
No sweat, tour buses use it all the time. Just keep a eye out for another big rig going the other way. You'll probably have more of a problem if you take the road out to Muley point.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

old_idaho_guy
Explorer
Explorer
We pulled a 30' trailer down and had no problems except some wide turns because of rock over hang. The problem would be if you met some other trailer going the other way and someone had to back up. There are some places to pass and some that two rigs won't fit. Good luck!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Is this the road you want to drive?
I took it about 20 years ago in 40' motorhome.
Don't remember the road number, but remember that when I ask ranger before going there, she answer
"the road has no curbs, but that's a good thing becouse you'd scratch your motorhome on them"

nice looking "gravel" road.
bumpy

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
This road has been greatly improved and widened and is nothing like the way it was 20 years ago. Even then it was not too bad. It was built to haul uranium ore so even then the only issue was two vehicles meeting on a sharp blind curve.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Is this the road you want to drive?
I took it about 20 years ago in 40' motorhome.
Don't remember the road number, but remember that when I ask ranger before going there, she answer
"the road has no curbs, but that's a good thing becouse you'd scratch your motorhome on them"

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Decades ago it was a tough ride. Now you can take a bus pulling a trailer up the Moki, no problem.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Drove it last month with only the TV. As we were going up we met a duely with a 30 or 35 ft flatbed trailer
loaded with hay coming down.
It's a beautiful drive

rickjo
Explorer
Explorer
I unhooked my Jeep to climb up with my 2004 F350 dually diesel hauling my Lance 1181. Without difficulty. Disappointed that I had to hitch a ride back down to fetch the Jeep. It would have followed behind effortlessly. Just do it.

Rick
2019 F-350 4WD Crew Cab DRW 6.2 l gas engine (6500 lbs cargo capacity!)
2007 LanceMax 1181 loaded, King memory foam mattress (driver's side locker omitted).
"Leave the trail a little better than you found it."

2manydogs
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I had to look up what it was, but this is what I found. Sounds like you should leave the camper and trailer at a campground or RV park.

https://bluffutah.org/mokey-dugway-muley-point/

The State of Utah recommends that only vehicles less than 28 feet and 10,000 pounds attempt to negotiate the dugway. The remainder of US-261 is paved.

Yep saw this and am asking here. My thoughts exactly but am on a one way trip here.
Truck is 26 feet and trailer is 19 foot and can easily fit in a 30 ft spot hehe!!

Thanks for your responses.

bwlyon
Explorer
Explorer
We went up the Dugway a few years ago. You’ll be fine, just take your time. Road is fairly wide and in good shape.