cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a cover necessary ?

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I keep my TT inside a shed but, a friend recently bought a used TT and has no place inside to store it. I recommend a cover and told him to read up on here to choose a good one .

Today has asked me "What is I just store it outside over the winter without a cover" ?

I really didn't have a answer for him. I told him that it would probably be harder on his rubber roof but, truth be told, his TT sets outside all summer with nothing over the roof. Would over winter be any worse ?

He just bought the TT for $3500 and it ;including the roof; are in great shape. Is it really worth it for him to spend the money on a cover ? Wouldn't a 1995 $3500 TT last just about as long without it ?

Give me some reasons to tell him as to why he needs one.

Thank-You
23 REPLIES 23

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I paid under $10k for my trailer brand new in 2004. I maintained it and enjoyed it for years, but I never covered it. I can share photos of it under several feet of snow, and relate tales of the freeze/thaw cycles it's been through, etc. It's never leaked or let me down in that regard.

I've been planning on replacing it for a few years now, but just haven't gotten around to it. It still suits my needs nicely. However, the rubber roof was shedding the protective white coating, and showing its age. I re-coated it a couple years ago, and am now in the practice of covering it in the winter.

As far as I am concerned, even if I purchase a new cover every year, it's a good, even frugal, decision.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
TurnThePage wrote:
ScottG wrote:
As I indicated before, I am pro-cover but I wouldn't spend $400+ on a cover for a $3500 trailer.
Why not?

I agree. If it’s a trailer in really good shape. I would prolong its life as long as possible. $400 for 5 years of use is well worth it.

But,,, Because it is going to set outside all summer long uncovered is 400 dollars going to gain him 5 years when it is only covered during the winter ?

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
ScottG wrote:
As I indicated before, I am pro-cover but I wouldn't spend $400+ on a cover for a $3500 trailer.
Why not?

I agree. If it’s a trailer in really good shape. I would prolong its life as long as possible. $400 for 5 years of use is well worth it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Why not?
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
In Southern Arizona you MUST cover. Otherwise it will be destroyed in just a few years. Spent a good chunk of change building a steel trailer cover 17’ high, 14’ wide and 40’ long (room for a larger TT) to insure Mother Nature is held at bay.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I had a DP stored outside for 14 years in Denver and just did yearly roof maintenance w/ no real problems. In the 12th year we got hit w/ a bad Hail storm and I had to replace the rubber roof complete including 2 new A/C's. Also repainted 2/ side of the MH.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Since the OP is from MN, his friend asking, likely is too. IMO, using a cover for Winter, but not Summer, is doing it backward. The Summer sun is more harmful than Winter cold and snow. On a $3,500 trailer, I'd just do the proper maintenance prior to Winter, park it, wash it in the Spring and use it. In a few years you'll still get most of your money back, when you sell it and upgrade.

Jerry

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
and after reading these posts for additional information search this Forum for `RV cover' and read on and on....
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
Been using covers since we bought our rv in 2002. We get intense sun here in central California. I have found the best covers that last the longest are the ones that use the white Tyvek as the top material. Our rubber roof is still in good shape and all of our decals still look great!
E.Lee Galik

LibertyMan
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Heard all the arguments in another thread about how covers are stupid.
They’re not. They will preserve the RV better than uncovered but the owner mustn’t be stupid about the cover and it will last a long time and serve the purpose it was intended to.

Unless the full Alabama sun hits it all day. After about 4-5 years the cover becomes so brittle from the UV rays that you can easily poke a hole through it with your finger without much effort. Which, lets me know that it is doing its job by being a barrier to the camper from the damaging UV rays. But yes, when placing a cover on a camper, you must not get in a rush and yank and pull on it. And you must ensure all sharp corners are covered/cushioned to prevent premature tears and rips and the cover is tightened properly.
2019 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite
2016 Ram CCSB 2500 CTD
GenY Weight Distribution Hitch

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Heard all the arguments in another thread about how covers are stupid.
They’re not. They will preserve the RV better than uncovered but the owner mustn’t be stupid about the cover and it will last a long time and serve the purpose it was intended to.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
I've done both. I don't bother with a cover any more. I do, however, religiously clean and caulk(that spreading kind) every year at least. If it looks like **** in between cleanings, who cares? Only a trucker is going to see the roof anyway, at best.