Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Best way to install extra propane
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Best way to install extra propane

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
devildog1971

Rome

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 12:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw a 2017 Northern Lite with a big L P bottle somehow attached to the rear bumper. Cummins gave me paperwork on how long the generator would run usually half power with two 5 gallon standard L P bottles just about eight hours in the fall winter and spring these numbers might be sufficient. To run the fridge hot water and some heat. But summer camping that is inadequate.
Would it be best to try and mount two more of the 5 gallon tanks to the bumper and swap them out as needed, or something bigger permanently running the line into the regulator. Our second truck camper was a 1998 Real Lite. It had two 7and 1/2 gallon L P tanks that slide in sideways and we never ran out but that is a little over three of the smaller ones filled at 80%
With cooler weather coming on I have some time, we enjoy mostly dispersed camping so I do need to get a plan together
With the large bumper on the Northern Lite I could make mounts for two 5 gallon tanks to swap them out or maybe a larger one that is constructed to lay sideways. I am going to check out factory type mounts for the bumper, if that is not successful it will be time to put the fabricating hat on. I f you have suggestions please let me know. We very much want to make a trip to Alaska so extra propane would be a big help not knowing the distance between L P stations

2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 12:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am getting a feeling that for long weekend in summer you will need a trailer with propane cylinders.
For comparison - 5 gallons of gas with Honda EU3000 will run AC for about 28-32 hr.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can check with Northern Lite, but I don’t think your bumper is designed to carry large amounts of weight. A small gasoline generator as in Honda 2200 or so is much more efficient on fuel. You can move the weight to a front hitch if it is absolutely required or consider a small trailer if you plan to carry other things.

But, spend some effort to minimize the use of Air Conditioner. For instance, park in shade use shade cloth etc. Then, you should be able to get by with less Air Conditioner. Also, consider hookups when it is extremely hot. You can pay for a lot of hookups for the cost of one generator. Or, simply stay home when it is the hottest.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An auto start LP generator is very convenient and might make sense for someone who only takes short trips. Otherwise it is a disaster. An LP generator will quickly drain a standard 20# propane tank. Depending on location, trying to find propane can be an issue. In fact more and more fill stations have been replaced by exchanges. Exchange stations will give you 15# instead of 20# making refills even more of an issue. Often the exchange tanks are old, out of date and not recertified. You will not be able to get them refilled even if you find a refill station.

Start over with a gas generator. An EU2000 runs my A/C with no issues.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

For comparison - 5 gallons of gas with Honda EU3000 will run AC for about 28-32 hr.

That's weird,I only get 7-8 hrs running a 13.5 btu AC with my Honda EU3000 on the 3.5 gallon tank..

If I had one of those big step bumpers,I would ad a couple propane tank bottom anchors for the extra propane..I generally take extra propane tanks on long stay's when I tow the ATV trailer.I am considering extending my currant bumper enough to have my little honda and a propane bottle anchored there.

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/Reese solid bar extension/buddy heater/3 inverters/3/4" Horse mat cushion-Non slip/happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags /Yamaha Rhino/Winch/locker UTV/Zieman trailer

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Quote:

That's weird,I only get 7-8 hrs running a 13.5 btu AC with my Honda EU3000 on the 3.5 gallon tank..

My eu2000i runs about 5 hours with a roughly 10K btu a/c. That is with the roughly 1 gallon of fuel in the tank. If I need to run an A/C continuously hour after hour, it is time to move.

Jennifer Koper

494 Norman Street

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, is it possible to move my own propane tank?
If okay, then how to do it. please clarify me in details and thanks advance.

towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GM probably sold that truck with a propane engine option, and those tanks would have been under the bed of truck. Might even be aftermarket support.
Look up that option, you could probably run your Propane grill connector backwards to connect the regulated under bed tank to the camper.

Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz.

Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Quote:

If I had one of those big step bumpers,I would ad a couple propane tank bottom anchors for the extra propane..I generally take extra propane tanks on long stay's when I tow the ATV trailer.I am considering extending my currant bumper enough to have my little honda and a propane bottle anchored there.

My EU3000 is about 15 years old and has 2.7 gallons tank.
I had it running 15k AC for 13 hr at full blast before it died.
This year we went to Alaska and even we used campgrounds with no electricity most of the time, I still brought some fuel in tank back home.
Than I measure the amps and the 15k AC I had in motorhome was pulling 8.5 amps.
I can't find info what size AC is on my camper but it runs at high speed with 6.8 amps

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, Kayteg1, what kind of air conditioner do you have? Yours is about 1/2 what they advertise. Maybe your compressor isn’t working.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Best way to install extra propane
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.