cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot water tank not working on 110 VAC

Cajun_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't used my camper in about 6 months, but just bought a campsite where I can place it and have access to fishing, crabbing, etc. Anyway, went to use the hot water tank so I flipped on the breaker that I normally keep off to save on electricity use. Nothing, nada, so I put it on propane and it worked find. The question is, how to I troubleshoot the electrical side? Thinking the element maybe bad, but how to test? Also, there are two "reset" buttons that I pressed, but still nada. Any assistance would be appreciated.
20 REPLIES 20

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
One Recommendation from RV101ByFred dot com

If the element is toast. Consider replacing with a 1500 watt 240 Volt element (That's 375 watts at 120 volts)

WHY: Well sometimes I park on a 30 amp site and let me tell you at 375 Watts for the water heater (about the same as the 325 watt fridge or the 400 watt HOTT ROD water heater conversion device) It may take 2 hours to Recover.. But I'm a whole lot less likely to have to go out in the rain and reset the park 30 amp breaker.

No. Watts are watts.

E = I x R The resistance of the element is a constant. So when the voltage doubles, the current is reduced by half.

Watts = Volts x current. Voltage doubled, current halved, watts stay constant.

Nope. Voltage doubled equals current doubled. Doubling both means 4x the power.

P = V^2 / R

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

If the element is toast. Consider replacing with a 1500 watt 240 Volt element (That's 375 watts at 120 volts)

WHY: Well sometimes I park on a 30 amp site and let me tell you at 375 Watts for the water heater (about the same as the 325 watt fridge or the 400 watt HOTT ROD water heater conversion device) It may take 2 hours to Recover.. But I'm a whole lot less likely to have to go out in the rain and reset the park 30 amp breaker.

No. Watts are watts.

E = I x R The resistance of the element is a constant. So when the voltage doubles, the current is reduced by half.

Watts = Volts x current. Voltage doubled, current halved, watts stay constant.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Ranger Smith wrote:

The element is a big resistor that heats up. Resistors dont short they always burn open

The resistance wire can short to ground.

It will generally short to ground for a second then open up. he current will blow the wire open
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Ranger Smith wrote:

The element is a big resistor that heats up. Resistors dont short they always burn open

The resistance wire can short to ground.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ranger Smith wrote:
Cajun Bill wrote:
Oke Biscuit comes through again. While I don't have the camper here to look, I distinctly remember feeling resistance on the left reset button when I pressed it, but the WH still didn't work on AC. Will do voltmeter/ohmeter test once I get back to the camper, but I'm sure Ole is right, the element is either shorted or open. thanks for all the advice, especially the pix.

And yet tests for burnet out element (NO continuity thru element) and testing for shorted element (Continuity between element and flange) are the 2 tests recommended for any water heater using an electric element.

RV or Residential.
Burnt out deals with the element
Shorted deals with the 'insulator' between element and flange
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Cajun Bill wrote:
Oke Biscuit comes through again. While I don't have the camper here to look, I distinctly remember feeling resistance on the left reset button when I pressed it, but the WH still didn't work on AC. Will do voltmeter/ohmeter test once I get back to the camper, but I'm sure Ole is right, the element is either shorted or open. thanks for all the advice, especially the pix.

Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
I had this problem before and I traced it to the outside off on switch that Old Biscuit referenced on the suburban units. It was stuck in the on position however it had melted the connections and no longer sent the voltage thru to the thermostat and on to the element. Just another area of common failure to check.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

Cajun_Bill
Explorer
Explorer

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP stated...." there are two "reset" buttons that I pressed, but still nada."

THAT is a Suburban (Atwood doesn't have RESET buttons)

Those reset buttons are for the High Temp T-stats....trip at 180*F but have to be Manually reset.
If Tripped you will feel resistance when push in on button
Left side is 120VAC for the Element
Right side s 12VDC for the propane

Suburban uses a simple 120VAC circuit
120VAC from Circuit Breaker to On/Off Switch (outside compartment lower left corner---RV Mfg might add an addtional in inside in series)
From On/Off Switch to High Temp T-stat then Normal Temp T-stat via connector wire then to element (Oval Cover Under Gas valve/burner tube)

Sometimes the High to Normal connector wire will burn into
Remove Push To Reset Cover and inspect
THis one shows burnt thru connector wire

Element....
Disconnect one wire
Voltmeter....check for continuity between the 2 terminals on eleemnt
NO continuity...element bad
Voltmeter....check for continuity between White wire termonal and element flange
YES continuity....element shorted

120VAC 1440W element
9 1/2" with a 1 1/4" thread (1 1/2" thin wall socket to R/R elemnt)

1440W element draws 12A
1500W element draws 12.5A and is readily available at most any hardware store
**1440W Suburban on line
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I had some power wiring burn out near the switch at the heater so it's not always the element that does not work.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Cajun_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know. Camper is 90 miles away.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Cajun Bill wrote:
Haven't used my camper in about 6 months, but just bought a campsite where I can place it and have access to fishing, crabbing, etc. Anyway, went to use the hot water tank so I flipped on the breaker that I normally keep off to save on electricity use. Nothing, nada, so I put it on propane and it worked find. The question is, how to I troubleshoot the electrical side? Thinking the element maybe bad, but how to test? Also, there are two "reset" buttons that I pressed, but still nada. Any assistance would be appreciated.

atwood or suburban?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle