Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A electrical system setup - no dealer guidance
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Class A electrical system setup - no dealer guidance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While you have not specifically stated such, it sounds like you might have a residential frig rather than an RV type frig. If that is the case, then yes, you need the inverter on to keep the frig cold.

It also might help if you tell us more about the system such as type of inverter and inverter remote control.

Lot's of good advice here.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry cad wrote:

While you have not specifically stated such, it sounds like you might have a residential frig rather than an RV type frig. If that is the case, then yes, you need the inverter on to keep the frig cold.

It also might help if you tell us more about the system such as type of inverter and inverter remote control.

I have an RV style fridge - shore powered or propane - a Magnum Standard Remote Control, and a Magnum ME Series Modified Sine Wave Inverter

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In your owner's bag should be one for the inverter. It is the inverter (Which is also likely your battery charger) that shut down due to low voltage. They do that.

First you should locate the Inverter and any circuit breakers on it. or alternatively the sub panel it feeds if such exists. You WILL need to know about these.

If you do not have the manual for it then note the make and model and google
Make model manual

And download one.. In fact even if you DO have the manual download a copy.

Same for most other appliances and stuff you may need to know about includign jacks. Battery control system. and Slideouts.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

obiwancanoli wrote:

larry cad wrote:

I have an RV style fridge - shore powered or propane - a Magnum Standard Remote Control, and a Magnum ME Series Modified Sine Wave Inverter

The magnum can be conveniently wired to your Onan Quiet Diesel Generator to operate in "auto gen start" mode which will start your genny automatically if your batteries get low. You have the option of setting the "low" voltage where it starts. This is all done on the magnum operator panel, the one with the rotating know.

obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/19 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry cad wrote:

obiwancanoli wrote:

larry cad wrote:

The magnum can be conveniently wired to your Onan Quiet Diesel Generator to operate in "auto gen start" mode which will start your genny automatically if your batteries get low. You have the option of setting the "low" voltage where it starts. This is all done on the magnum operator panel, the one with the rotating know.

I believe I can set the AGS from inside the RV, though there is also an Auto-Gen unit/control box inside one of the external bays... need to investigate that better...

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

obiwancanoli wrote:

larry cad wrote:

obiwancanoli wrote:

larry cad wrote:

I believe I can set the AGS from inside the RV, though there is also an Auto-Gen unit/control box inside one of the external bays... need to investigate that better...

Magnum has 2 owners manuals. One for the Magnum Inverter and one for the Remote operation. The module in the storage bay is REQUIRED for the Auto Genset function. You do indeed set up the Auto Genset from inside the RV on the Magnum remote. This should be your remote instructions. Doug

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sites/........nuals/owners/64-0003-Rev-G-ME-RC_Web.pdf

obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, Doug, that's the instruction manual I have... I understand a little more, a little better, each time I read it....

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As an aside, beware the clock radio might not keep proper time on a MSW inverter. I am curious whether it would. The clock in the MW is reported not to keep time on MSW, but that might be a different thing.

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

houstonstroker

Houston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When boondocking the best way to preserve battery power is to run everything you can (fridge and water heater) on propane. It might be that your entire coach is inverted. That means everything running on 120 volts AC goes through an inverter. So if off grid and you need anything requiring 120 volts AC then yes your inverter needs to be on. But turning off your inverter would still let anything requiring 12 volts DC to operate. All depends on how the coach was set up.

2016 Dynamax Force HD Super C

Z-Peller

Oceanside BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you are plugged in to shore power most rigs have a "converter" wired into the system that keeps your batteries charged. When you are using "inverter" for 110v power, you must switch off the "converter" breaker on 110v breaker panel, otherwise you have the "inverter" using up battery power running the "converter" which is a battery charger. Big time loosing proposition. Will run your batteries down very rapidly. Sounds like this is what is happening to you in addition to other things mentioned....

Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Class A electrical system setup - no dealer guidance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.