Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Old School RVing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Old School RVing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Jack Spratt

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/19 03:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Look at the custom canopy on the first truck! Prolly one of the first full size 4wd pickups too.
That 2nd one though looks like a 1/2 ton. The caravan probably all stopped there to tell him he was over his gvw, rawr and towing rating....

Don’t know about the trucks
But it looks close to the bridges gvw

Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/19 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Actually the Dodge power wagon had the first 4 wheel drive PU in 1946 civilian version , " from 15 trucks that changed America ". International did have the first crew cab PU in 1957 with 3 doors, upgraded to 4 doors in 1961. Chevrolet had the first doolie in 1973. Dodge had the first Diesel PU in 1989. Chevrolet had the first independent front suspension PU in 1960.

Brother's shop sometimes works on a restored '46 GMC or Chevy dual wheeled pickup. IIRC, '73 was the first year GM sold the 4 door cab. Still had a 8 foot bed, looked long enough to get stuck in both ditches at the same time.
I think that all the time IH was making light trucks, other than the Carryall, most of their sales was to fleets. Buying 1, the others where cheaper, but buying more the cheaper they got. 3 farmers that I worked for on occasion got together and ordered a fleet of HD pickups. Over time I moved all of those trucks. All 4 speeds, but no 2 had reverse in the same place.
My IH was the first time I found I needed the VIN to order the right part.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Old School RVing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.