Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Old School RVing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Old School RVing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Were they within towing and cargo capacity?

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Around here everyone refereed to them as a old "binder", have no idea why.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Were they within towing and cargo capacity?

LOL. I had a Holmes wrecker bed mounted on mine. Single rear wheel, and I hooked on to a couple of trucks where I had issues with the front wheels lifting. But always had plenty of power.

fj12ryder wrote:

Yep, I have several friends, my age and older, and they all refer, or referred, to IH as "Binders". Which I always assumed was meant as another name for a "reaper" or "binder".

Towing, you likely know the area. I was leased to a large operator that bought ton trucks from many dealers to get their tow business. Mine was the only one in the fleet that could get on I29/35 northbound off Armour, towing a Caddie, and be doing the speed limit when we got to the split.

gbopp wrote:

Aiming your headlights high to drive through corn and hay fields at night to feed the stock? I never heard that one.

Drive thru corn field? Better not knock any down. Don't cut any ruts. A hay field, never grows as high as lights.

ryegatevt

New Hampshire

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/19 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think those folks are lined up to see which rig will be the first to fall through that rickety old bridge...

Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used to say… The only thing international Harvester built that was worth a **** was a manure spreader, and they wouldn’t stand behind it!

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had friends that had those old IH trucks. Yes they were tough. But, they rode and drove like,, well like a truck.

Last one I rode in was my friends 1964 IH truck in about 83 or so. I was in the passenger seat and he took a left turn at a stop light. I leaned against the door and it flew open. He had to reach over and grab me by the shirt to keep me from falling out in the middle of the road.

Durable trucks but the door latches sucked. He started holding the door shut with a bunji cord to keep it closed.

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 62 was like that, but only after I rolled it :-).

I used to drive around town with the window down and my left arm hooked around the door so I could easily pull it closed each time I went around the corner.

That was when I was young and stupid.

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

C Schomer wrote:

We used to say… The only thing international Harvester built that was worth a **** was a manure spreader, and they wouldn’t stand behind it!

Haha, classic!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at the custom canopy on the first truck! Prolly one of the first full size 4wd pickups too.
That 2nd one though looks like a 1/2 ton. The caravan probably all stopped there to tell him he was over his gvw, rawr and towing rating....

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/19 03:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Look at the custom canopy on the first truck! Prolly one of the first full size 4wd pickups too.
That 2nd one though looks like a 1/2 ton. The caravan probably all stopped there to tell him he was over his gvw, rawr and towing rating....
Actually the Dodge power wagon had the first 4 wheel drive PU in 1946 civilian version , " from 15 trucks that changed America ". International did have the first crew cab PU in 1957 with 3 doors, upgraded to 4 doors in 1961. Chevrolet had the first doolie in 1973. Dodge had the first Diesel PU in 1989. Chevrolet had the first independent front suspension PU in 1960.

* This post was edited 10/14/19 04:00am by colliehauler *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Old School RVing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.