Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Using a tow vehicle as a windbreak while boondocking
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Using a tow vehicle as a windbreak while boondocking

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were recently boondocking in the Eastern Sierra -- gusts up to 60 mph were predicted. When they arrived, the trailer started to shake a little. No risk of overturning, but still annoying -- like a small earthquake every few minutes. (And yes, we had our stabilizers deployed, but the trailer still shook.)

We realized that the gusts were coming from the southwest, so we parked the truck across the path of the wind, right next to the trailer, to serve as a windbreak.

It worked! Although the wind was still noisy, the trailer stopped shaking, and we were able to sleep more soundly.

This simple solution works when you are boondocking and you have a lot of freedom to position your mobile windbreak. It probably would not work in a campground with tight parking spaces.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good idea. I do the same to protect my satellite dish.

I don't know if those are the worst winds you've been in, but years ago on Lake Mead I really thought the 5er was going over.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were camped in a rainstorm on the inlet near Panama City one time during as storm. Our truck camper was off the truck. The wind gusts were so strong, I thought we were going over, altho probably not, the imagination works wonders under those conditions.

I actually went out in the storm, and put the camper back on the truck so it would have a 6000 lb anchor.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 years ago in Las Vegas we were at a dog show and thankfully we arrived a day earlier as their worst wind storm in a decade came through. RVs and buses were pulling in with broken windshields, torn off awnings, hanging awnings, access hatch doors missing and I heard people saying that there were big rigs blown over out on the highway also.

We had assigned parking so we couldn't turn our trailer but thankfully a big Prevost parked besides us before it got too bad so we used him as a windbreak.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 of us were Duck Hunting ----Owen's Valley north of Lone Pine
Tent camping.......storm blew in that 1st night and wind was blowing 50+mph which had a flattening effect on the tent

Parked truck to block the tent from the wind and finally got to sleep.
Wind continued the next day/night.
Finally 3rd day storm had passed....so did the Ducks!

That was back in 1985

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have done that for years when boondocking also.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in my tenting camping days, we'd park cross-wind, then pile cargo boxes under the van's side door. Kids slept inside and we slept outside on the ground pretty well sheltered from the wind.

Now in the Tiger, I point the hood into the wind even if that means I have to park crosswise in the campsite. This works way better than letting the wind hit the sides.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Lwiddis

Oceano Dunes, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Were you near Lone Pine, Tuttle Creek and the Alabama Hills? Can really blow thereabouts.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tiger, that's the advantage of a Class C or a truck camper over a trailer -- once we have gotten the trailer into position and stabilized, it would be a lot of work to undo everything and then point the nose in a different direction!

So before we actually park, we always spend a few minutes trying to thing about where the trailer should be situated in the campsite: What's the best view? Will there be big rocks near the doorway? Will we have room for the awning? But this is the first time I ever wished we'd been able to predict the direction of the wind!

old idaho guy

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 10:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tent camping in Iceland tied the guy rope to the bumper of the truck to keep it from blowing away

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Using a tow vehicle as a windbreak while boondocking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.