Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Using a tow vehicle as a windbreak while boondocking
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Using a tow vehicle as a windbreak while boondocking

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/19 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many years ago we were in a pop-up when a tornado passed. No where to go. Pop-up did just fine (believe it or not), I think ... because we were in a thick grove of trees that broke most of the wind. Fortunate, the tornado did not sit down in the grove of trees. It was a near miss, but, as my dad use to say, "An inch is as good as mile. It didn't hit!"

huachuca

Tarboro, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/19 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having tent camped at Cape Hatteras and Cape Lookout National Seashores on the NC Outer Banks for over fifty years, I've seen some pretty good storms roll through. I've used my vehicle as a windbreak, filled coolers with sand and placed them inside the tent to hold it down and flipped picnic tables over to reduce their profile and tied my guy lines to their skyward pointing legs.

Its interesting to check out the campground dumpsters the day after one of these hits. I've got a couple of functional EZ-Ups pieced together from wind damaged units that were discarded. And several of the NPS staff who work there have told me they haven't bought any new camping gear in years.

Whenever we suffer through one of these, I'm reminded of Lyndon Johnson's comment on the Viet Nam war as I approached draft age in the mid sixties (paraphrased as I'm sure this isn't exactly accurate) "Being President right now is a lot like being a jackass in a west Texas hailstorm. I can't run. I can't hide. And I can't make it stop."

* This post was edited 10/16/19 05:24pm by huachuca *

Crabbypatty

Long Island, New York

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 03:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do the same thing camping on the beach or SP. Just went through some mighty gusts.

John, Lisa & Tara">">">
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

huachuca, how do you piece together the parts of the sun shades?? They are riveted, not bolted together, so it is hard to re-assemble them.

The reason I ask is that we live near the beach and the dumpsters are often full of damaged shades -- it would be great to rehab them instead of sending them to the landfill!

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

mrw8i

Home

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few years ago we were in the desert near Amboy, CA. Big ass 5th wheel toy hauler, pointed South. Front end jacked up pretty high to level it. That evening the winds came up out of the west, really hard and gusts well over 60 mph. Wife slept through it, I didn't. I could feel one of the landing gear starting to lift on some of those gusts and then the trailer coming back down on it. Late at night, pitch black otherwise I would have hooked up and moved.

When we were out in the same area in May (unseasonably cool), I parked headed west. Stayed hooked up to the truck and dropped the jacks. When the wind picked up out of the west, barely felt it.

When we go off roading near Cal City, I typically park the 5th wheel perpendicular to the wind - leave the truck hooked up, but at close to 90 degrees to the fifth wheel. Don't feel the trailer move much and blocks the wind pretty well outside. Downside is the wind will swirl around the trailer and draw the smoke from the fire which is downwind, back towards us near the trailer. I built a simple wind block so the water heater doesn't blow out as it is always on the windward side of the trailer when I park like this.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Using a tow vehicle as a windbreak while boondocking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.