Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12V electrical questions

cmath1223
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I am renovating my camper, and I've got a few concerns with the electrical..

I have a few 12v appliances, plus the lights that I would like to run off my battery. I'm wondering if I can run from my battery to the Breaker panel without a voltage regulator? If my 12v refrigerator kicks on, will it cause my lights to dim or turn off?

Thanks,

Cody
10 REPLIES 10

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
cmath1223 wrote:
I have a few 12v appliances, plus the lights that I would like to run off my battery. I'm wondering if I can run from my battery to the Breaker panel without a voltage regulator?

Not only can you, but you should NOT have a regulator inline ! All 12VDC appliances can tolerate a voltages up to almost 15V !

cmath1223 wrote:
If my 12v refrigerator kicks on, will it cause my lights to dim or turn off?

Not enough information ! What kind of refrigerator is it and how much current does it require ?

If you are wiring from "scratch", your 12VDC distribution panel should probably have one circuit/fuse for lighting, one for "general" outlets and another for the refrigerator.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
cmath1223 wrote:
SailingOn wrote:
If you don't need 120V power except for battery charging, you don't need an inverter/charger, but you will need a converter designed for lithium batteries.
See ***Link Removed***.

Thanks! Thats exactly the information I was looking for!

I agree! Sounds like Sailon was about the only one to understand what you have and what you want.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi! Fellow Alpenlite owner here. A 2007 model. One of the last of the breed.

I am somewhat confused. Do you have a 12V breaker panel like larger boats or are you talking about connecting the battery to the 120V AC breaker panel, in which case don't do it. DC is DC & AC is AC. the two don't mix.

Yes the battery can feed the 12V fuse box directly. I suspect that you are confusing a 12V fuse box with a circuit breaker. Highly unlikely that you have a 12V circuit breaker box. I'd only expect to see one of those in a very high end class A MOHO. Alpenlites are good but they are not that good.

To charge you will need a CONverter/charger. An INverter is a completely different animal that has nothing to do with charging.

You had better check on the voltage & the rate of charge that lithium batterys require. Different battery chemistrys, wet cell, AGM, gel cell require different battery charging settings. Any old converter/charger won't do if you plan to get a long service life out of your battery bank. Lithiums are not cheap like wet cells.

Most of the better converter/chargers are multi stage & are programmed for wet cell or AGMs. Gel cells & I suspect lithiums will require a user programmable charger for the type & size of the the bank that needs maintaining. No, these programmable chargers are not cheap.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

cmath1223
Explorer
Explorer
SailingOn wrote:
If you don't need 120V power except for battery charging, you don't need an inverter/charger, but you will need a converter designed for lithium batteries.
See ***Link Removed***.

Thanks! Thats exactly the information I was looking for!

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I'm very confused. The standard electrical system has 120v coming in to the main panel with the batteries being charged off that. All 12v lighting and appliances needing 12v basically feed off the battery. No need for inverters or external chargers for the batteries (unless the Li batteries need something special). Alternative is no shore power and all 12v stuff runs off the batteries and nothing that's 120v works. Why complicate things?

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
See here.
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You could get an inverter/charger to handle both functions. Charge batteries through shore power.
A "camper" is an RV mounted to a pick up.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome. โ€œCamperโ€ usually means an truck bed mounted RV.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

cmath1223
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
You should be installting a 120 volt AC distribution panel. These normally would have a 12 volt DC distribution which would allow you to use shore power when connected and your 12 volt DC battery when not connected.
Most RV refer use 12 volt for control. Most are 120 volt AC and propane when not connected to shore power.Not many have 12 volt DC elements. If equipped with 12 volt element, yes it will effect other appliances including the lights.
You say "camper", post is in "fifth wheel". What do you have?

I have a 22' 1984 Alpenlite 5th Wheel. I consider it a camper, but apologies if I'm using incorrect terminology.

I am remodeling the camper and will not be installing 120volt power. My appliances are either propane or 12volt, so I will not be purchasing an inverter as I do not need 120v. My distribution panel is a 12volt marine panel.

I have a large battery bank (three 100ah lithium batteries) so I won't have to worry about operating off shore power; HOWEVER I would like the option of charging my batteries from shore power.

I do have an additional question about charging my batteries from 'Shore' though; Can I purchase a 120volt charge controller to charge from shore? or would I require an inverter/charge controller combo?

I'm just trying to keep my costs down, as I already have 12v appliances and I inherited the large battery bank from a friend. Purchasing the charge controller without the inverter is a lot cheaper.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You should be installting a 120 volt AC distribution panel. These normally would have a 12 volt DC distribution which would allow you to use shore power when connected and your 12 volt DC battery when not connected.
Most RV refer use 12 volt for control. Most are 120 volt AC and propane when not connected to shore power.Not many have 12 volt DC elements. If equipped with 12 volt element, yes it will effect other appliances including the lights.
You say "camper", post is in "fifth wheel". What do you have?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker