cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

how to level a trailer

campingman55
Explorer
Explorer
i cant remember the best place to put a level when leveling a trailer is it the floor right by the door or on the a frame of the hitch or where
2005 vectra 40fd motor home and wife and our 2 pita malties and a mini poodle
33 REPLIES 33

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Why not simply use a hydraulic floor jack, a piece of firewood, and one scissors jack, then forget about the tongue jack. :W

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Find another spot?? You're kidding! And miss out on on that entertainment? ๐Ÿ˜‰ We view a really un-level spot as a challenge, a fun opportunity for stacking up a lot of rocks and Lego blocks, like this:

Click For Full-Size Image.

After spending an hour attempting to get the trailer level, we can't move because we have sunk so much time and energy into trying to cope with a bad campsite. ๐Ÿ˜‰

This is an example of the "sunk cost fallacy," kind of like throwing good money after bad. There really is a time, as Galvanizd indicates, in which discretion is the wiser part of valor.

That brought a smile. wow.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Find another spot?? You're kidding! And miss out on on that entertainment? ๐Ÿ˜‰ We view a really un-level spot as a challenge, a fun opportunity for stacking up a lot of rocks and Lego blocks, like this:

Click For Full-Size Image.

After spending an hour attempting to get the trailer level, we can't move because we have sunk so much time and energy into trying to cope with a bad campsite. ๐Ÿ˜‰

This is an example of the "sunk cost fallacy," kind of like throwing good money after bad. There really is a time, as Galvanizd indicates, in which discretion is the wiser part of valor.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
I level side to side using the LGTM system. Then I use the bathroom door for front to back. Depending on which way it swings, raise or lower the front jack. The, Looks Good To Me, system works fairly well for me. if its way off, usually find another camp spot.

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
Two stick on bubble levels at the right front corner of the trailer, one North/South, one East/West. Worked fine, no muss no fuss.

Stick on bubbles work. I have used them on 3 campers.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I discuss leveling here:
https://learntorv.com/rv-leveling-is-really-quick-and-easy/

And really, you can put the level anywhere you want. As long as it's close, everything else will be fine.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Set zero (LCI's level) push auto level and stand back and watch the dance.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think the refrigerator being level is critical so I set a bubble inside the refer and another near my jack setup. When the refer bubble is centered I adjust the bubble near the jack set up to read the same as the refer. Once set up this way I just use the one near the jacks, and refer is always level.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Best way to level your rig is to park it in Florida this winter
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I use the front tongue 1st for side to side and then the left side storage door opening for front to back and am done. The electric jacks make all the difference in the world for a TT. I check the bathroom and REFER doors and if they move I make an additional adjustment later.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer
campingman55 wrote:
i cant remember the best place to put a level when leveling a trailer is it the floor right by the door or on the a frame of the hitch or where

Only thing I care about is that my head is not lower than my feet when I crawl into bed. I setup and leveled to the fridge and put those stick on things on the front and side of the trailer. the numbers on them seem to correlate well with how many blocks I'll need under the wheels. If I'm off half a bubble I don't really worry about it. If you travel down the road with your fridge on it's never very level anyway so being off a bit when parked is not going to be much trouble.

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Wherever I put the level, it's different in our camper... I check several places, then check how the shower and bathroom doors are when open. If they swing one way or the other, I adjust.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mich upnorth wrote:
Cooktop

THIS is the most important thing to be level. If it is level your fridge is already happy.

The cook likes the eggs to be even in the pan, not running to one side.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
My floor, table, frig, frame and tongue all show some variations of level.

For us the frame and the stove top are the most important points to be level.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.