cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Road Report, Nogales to Zihuatanejo

Talleyho69
We had a friend cross the border last week at Nogales and drive down to Zihuatanejo, while making notes as to the condition of the roads.

What a report!!!! With the exception of one kilometer north of Hermosillo where you are sent over to the other side and it's one lane each way, all construction is complete and all of the bypasses are done!!!

He did comment that there was a much larger police presence than he's seen in the past and they were using radar guns. The roads are so good and so fast that they are enforcing the speed limits.

He makes this drive twice a year and in the past hasn't really worried about his speed. This time he kept it to no more than 10 KPH over the posted limits and did fine.
4 REPLIES 4

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
"OK, inquiring minds want to know--what were you driving and WHERE in Mexico at 80 MPH!?"

Practically everywhere - mostly cuotas but some libres too. Recently (since diesel became more expensive in Mexico that the US) I've been riding a motorcycle in Mexico but I've also driven 80 -85 mph in an F-250 back before diesel became more expensive in Mexico).
Many nationals speed, in fact here in the US few people pass me but in Mexico many people pass me even though I am riding/driving the same. I think Nationals on average drive faster than gringos. That, and most folks RVing in Mexico (including myself) are a little ... long in the tooth.

Talleyho69
Our friend Gerry, who drove down last week was driving a one ton pick up with a camper shell and Guerrero plates. Until this year he claims he drove well over 80 MPH, in fact, he actually claimed this afternoon that he kept it floored all the time.

Who knows? Many Canadians do tend to drive faster and farther than many from the US.

Seriously, the new concrete roads are fabulous, and you can really really go fast.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Wm.Elliot wrote:
\ A minute or so later I was stopped for going 80(mph).

OK, inquiring minds want to know--what were you driving and WHERE in Mexico at 80 MPH!?

BTW, targeting out of state vehicles is a well established policy in most countries/counties!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
I have noticed a huge increase in police using radar these last few years. The speed limits are set so low almost everyone exceeds the posted limits. The police can pick who they wish to stop.
2 Years ago I was passed on a 4 lane going to GDL by a sedan that was going about 90(mph). A minute or so later I was stopped for going 80(mph). The federal police officer no doubt could have had the National going 90 but instead chose me. After much bluffing the officer let me go.