cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

One Side lower than the other

Pawoodsman
Explorer
Explorer
A question I am using a Husky weight distribution assembly with the chain and bar set up when I set the weight distribution the passenger side sits lower than the right and front passenger-side distance between gound and wheel well is a difference of 1" compared to the driver side. Also when I am set the bars the passenger side feels loose and the driver side is stiff. I am going 6 links from the top on both sides. Any ideas or help who be appreciated. Camper is a hybrid being towed by 2011 Pathfinder
5 REPLIES 5

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try jacking the trailer up higher while hooked to the truck before you start to draw up the chains. It won't hurt the truck or trailer at all. You should raise it high enough so that you can easily put the chains on the hook and draw them up. It will seem very odd at first and you will think you are going to break something , but it is fine and is the proper way to do it. If you have an electric tongue jack then the job is almost effortless. The higher you jack, the easier it will be.
If not, then look at it as an opportunity to get a little exercise in before you travel.

Do the same for unlooking also - much safer that way.
You always want the same number of links under tension on each side.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Pawoodsman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for responses wasn't sure if I could adjust the one side more than the other or if it would be a safety issue . I have a hard enough time keeping the chain on the hook on the DS when trying to snap it up

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Try snapping up the other side first, see if that changes anything.

When attaching trailer to tow vehicle, is the rig on a hill (side-to-side)? My driveway has a slope. It's 35 feet wide and has a 4 inch slope side to side. My trailer and truck are always off kilter in my own driveway.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Talk about the number of chain links that are under tension. There should be a minimum of 5 on each side. Those are the links between the snap-up hook and the WD bar.

Not all manufacturers put the same number of chain links on their bars so telling how many you have left over - not under tension - does not help members know how tight your bars are.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try pulling them a little tighter. Might even the TV up some. If I am visualizing it right. 6 links is not very tight. I hang 3 links over the top of the snap ups
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers