cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Seized valve cable

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
The cable that operates my black tank valve is seized and will not move. The cable is enclosed. Any suggestions on how to free it. Used it all summer with no problem. Cannot empty black tank. Thanks itโ€™s on a host Cascafe
15 REPLIES 15

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
The cable runs tthrough a metal sheath to mount it to the frame of the box. How will I get lube down the cable as the metal sheath runs most of the length of the cable. Mr Phelps how did you get lube inside to the cable?

RobG
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having a similar problem with the black valve on my 5th wheel... BUT... the trailer is 13 years old and so is the valve. And I've lived in it fulltime for 12 of those 13 years. This started earlier this year and is getting worse. I can still get it open but it's very difficult and I'm worried about breaking it.

I've torn into the underside of the trailer, and I can replace it, but just have to get around to DOING that. Until then, I love the ideas posted here about lubing the cable. I'm going to try those.
2019 Arctic Fox 992 Truck Camper
2006 Keystone Raptor 3814SS 5th Wheel Toyhauler (live in it fulltime)
2005 Dodge RAM 3500 Quad Cab Dually 4x4 SLT 6sp
A quad, a few motorcycles, and a dog.

Deleted
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
A 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone makes an excellent penetrating oil . Remember to hook up your slinky hose before trying the cable . ๐Ÿ™‚
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

ChadHubbard
Explorer
Explorer
If you can remove the handle from the cable, I have had success with this: purchase some clear plastic tubing (18") that will slice tightly over the end of the cable sheathing, or screw over the threads if there are threads. Tighten with a cable clamp. Wire tie the cable in a vertical position. Fill the tube with a light oil. Give it a couple of days. The oil should wick down between the cable and the sheath. If you can get the cable to move, work it back and forth carefully. It will be lubed for a long time.
Chad Hubbard
2014 Ram 3500 SRW 2x2 Cummins Aisin
2003 Fleetwood Pride 31-5G

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
At this time cable is still seized. Waiting for Cable life lubericant to arrive.

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
I will try the oil

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Don't know what kind of cables you guys have, but I am buying special cable lubricant at watercraft dealer.
With special tool to inject lubricant inside. Just google it and Walmart is selling it as well.
LINK

When I used to work at a motorcycle shop many many moons ago this is what I used to lubricate cables, device works great.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know what kind of cables you guys have, but I am buying special cable lubricant at watercraft dealer.
With special tool to inject lubricant inside. Just google it and Walmart is selling it as well.
LINK

dalej
Explorer
Explorer
Any suggestions on maintaining, lubricating the cable to avoid this problem?
2005 Chevy HD2500, ext cab, 4x4, 8.1, allison,lwb,srw, 265 75 16's, timbrens

MrPhelps
Explorer
Explorer
Again, this happened to me on my Cascade Eddie !

Tank was full , on the road, stressful. It appeared to be caused by corrosion between the cable and the sleeve. I used penetrating lubricant and sprayed it on the opening at the handle to the cable and sleeve and kept working it. I really had to tug on it but it did release. I cleaned the now apparent cable corrosion as best I could and then cleaned and lubricated it with grease several more times and so far so good.

Obviously this is pretty nasty to deal with if you are ready to dump as I was. Do all of this with the cap on and then deal with the cleanup with a hose.

I figured issue was due salt air from the environment where we spend a lot of time, but never had this issue with my prior camper.

Good Luck.
- 2018 RAM 3500 Laramie DRW
- 2018 Host Cascade Dual Slide

bwlyon
Explorer
Explorer
If the tank is empty and the valve is closed you can pour a couple gallons of vegetable oil in the tank and let it soak a couple hours and then try and open the valve. Also if you can gain access to the valve you can spray lubricant onto the exterior portion of the valve where the cable attaches.

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ll be calling host tomorrow while Iโ€™m on the road

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Call Host.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member