cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do they get in?

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 Chevrolet 3500 Crew cab dually and I put a ziplock bag with about a half cup of mixed nuts on the console. Two days later, the sealed bag had a small hole an all the nuts were gone. I opened the hood and took a peak only to find some insulation and two cashews sitting on top of the engine near the firewall. Has anyone else had this problem and where you able to locate the critters means of access to the inside of the cab? Thanks for any help.
11 REPLIES 11

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
from your description I think that little guy is still in there, maybe taking a nap. :E

Oh and suprZ, I go along with your theory about the smell of cats. A lot of folks would disagree but something has worked for decades for me. We take a couple of cats camping with us. I always leave the litter box with litter, scooped of course, in the camper. Something majical is going on for me.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Mice have what amounts to cartilage for bones and can squeeze thru a 1/2 inch gap.. The only thing I know that they won't chew thru is steel wool. In my class C any openings get steel wool pushed into them, then I use spray foam to seal it up further. And the best deterrent is a outdoor cat. I regularly let my cats into my RV and let them roam around for a few minutes. I don't think the mice want to hang around if they smell cats. Only other thing I can think of is using something to put around the tires ( I think they don't like the smell of peppermint oil?) maybe a spray bottle and a few sprits every once in a while ? I would spray anything they can use as a way to get up into the vehicle. ( power cord, hoses, tires, etc...)
Proud father of a US Marine

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
From an exterminator friend. Go to your camper one night with a black light. Apparently, mice have no bladder and are constantly peeing. You should be able to see their tracks using a black light and that should lead you to the point of entry (or a nest).
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
double post
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
double post
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
winniman wrote:
Almost impossible to stop the critters. Dont leave food in your vehicle. Toyotas are worse. They did chew through the air box on my moms car.

Bingo.

Critters can get through holes you wouldn't believe and they will chew through other stuff you wouldn't believe.

Doesn't help while in use but in storage, getting the food out is your best bet.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Just_There
Explorer
Explorer
winniman wrote:
.....Dont leave food in your vehicle...

Hmmm...bit difficult in a full-time Class-C.

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
Almost impossible to stop the critters. Dont leave food in your vehicle. Toyotas are worse. They did chew through the air box on my moms car.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Get a smoke generator inside the cab and pressurize it with your vacuum on blow so you can see where the holes are.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had an air filter box on an F-250 diesel half full of acorns. Never store your truck near the woods ๐Ÿ˜‰
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Often times they can get in through the HVAC fresh air intake system even if it means chewing through a cabin filter.
I installed a metal grill over mine.