cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jeep towed discharged when towing. This is new.

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
We've towed this Jeep for a few years now without any problems until this trip. We run the Falcon 2 tow bar and the braek buddy system. I followed the Jeep's owners manual, put the transfer case in Neutral, auto trans in park and switched the ignition key to the "ACC" position. We pulled into the campground yesterday after 570 miles and about 11 hours of driving to find the Jeep completely dead. I had a neighbor ask if I wanted a jump and accepted. Got it started after awhile and let it run about 30 minutes. Shut her down and checked a few times before I hit the rack and when I got up this morning. Started no problem. Figured it was operator error or just one of those things that happen on trips. I double checked everything before I left this morning, stopped after a few hours for a snack and it started right up again. Ok, fixed. Drove for another 400 miles or so, stopped for the night and it's dead. What gives? What do I check and how do I check it? I have a battery charger on her now provided by a nice fella in the campground, and I'm gonna charge it all night but need this fixed for my return trip to NJ next month.

Never had this type of problem before.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bob
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI
36 REPLIES 36

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve towed 3 different jeeps and a Chevy 1500 truck for a total of 23 years. Have always used the standard old brake buddy and have never run down the towed vehicle engine battery. Always made sure I had. Good battery, unplugged the brake buddy at nite when stopped traveling. And made sure the brake buddy would hold the air pressure unless activated.. totally uncomplicated.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
While your Jeep might not require the key in the ignition, it DOES require a charge cable to the battery!

The auxiliary braking system has an onboard compressor that cycles every time the brakes need to be applied on the TOAD. That will drain your battery on a single trip. I learned this first hand, which is why I added the charge wire to mine.

Sounds like you found the issue. I would definitely trace that wire back to the battery, and add a 15A fuse close to the battery. This will prevent any meltdown due to a shorted wire.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
I'm gonna go with the popular opinion of not using the key in the Jeep on our trek back north next month. My brake buddy will be plugged into the power outlet however, not sure exactly how much power that takes up though.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Fire up is right on. Ive been there and never want a charge wire or any other function that is not required. Simplest way of doing things works best for my simple mind.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
RJL,
It's been mentioned at least a time or two in this thread of yours. Your OWNERS MANUAL IS WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jeep knows this and, has sent out SOME corrections to SOME owners over the years. They simply cannot keep up with all the private sales of Jeep Wranglers to be able to send out corrections to all who are involved. There is NO NEED FOR YOU TO PUT THAT KEY IN THE ACCESSORY POSITION, PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeep stopped the steering lock half way through the 2008 year of production. Since then, there are NO JEEP WRANGLERS WITH STEERING LOCKS!!!!! And since that's the case, you have no reason to put that ignition key in any other position other than OFF!!! Jeep has made a few model changes over the years and, there are a couple of towing procedures that effect different ones. The "TJ" series DID have a steering lock and, the key was needed to be put ONE CLICK past off. But, that did not energize any of the electrical system.

In 2007, Jeep re-engineered the Wrangler and created the "JK" series. For 2007 and half way through 2008, the steering lock was continued. But, in mid year production run, Jeep eliminated the steering lock and therefore, that eliminated the need for the key to be in the accessory position for towing. Again, Jeep screwed up in MANY of their owners manuals and did, at some time, try to get the correct information out but, it did not reach all who were involved.

If you want to keep your charge wire, that's up to you. You don't need it though since you don't need to keep that key in the accessory position. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to circle back and give an update. The back of the plug on the Jeep was corroded to the point the charging wire had broken off. Changed out the plug the other day, gotta hook it up to the MH and check to make sure its charging and wired correctly. Pretty sure it is, just wanna make sure before we head back north next month.

No fuse I can find though.

Thanks again for all the help.

Bob

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
RJL wrote:

Robert. Sorry for the confusion. Are you saying at the connector on the front of the Jeep I should be getting power readings with a multimeter? I picked one up today at Walmart, first time ever using one. I messed around with it a bit to get a feel for it. Tested the Jeep battery, with the Jeep off and got readings of 12.6, running 13.8 or so. I then tested the receptacle on the front of the Jeep, with it off and then running. Nothing. I also don't see a fuse anywhere in the engine compartment that's been added on. I haven't checked the MH yet, its in a storage facility a few miles away. Probably Sunday as tomorrow we're gonna get rain from a tropical storm moving up through the Gulf.

Thanks,

Bob

Yes, you should have voltage at the connector on the front of the Jeep. If not, likely a bad fuse between the connector and the battery.

That said, I didn't have a charge wire on mine. I had to add one to the center conductor (Pin 2). Very easy to do. I did take a little time to use split loom, and route the wire with existing cables. All looks stock.

Slide the boot off the back of the connector on the Jeep, this is what it looks like:

Look at the pins on the back of that connector. Look at the CENTER pin, it sticks out a little further than the rest:

If there's no wire, that's the problem. You need to add a wire from here, to the Jeep battery. Be sure to put a fuse near the battery.

Here's a video showing both sides of the connector. This is also where I captured the images above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYpS1WN73yo
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I think you do not have to and should not leave the key in the ignition. I have a 2017 wrangler and the book in the car says to do same as you said. . Reading the fine print that comes with Jeep says the complete user manual is on line. The โ€œrealโ€ on line manual is different. There is no steering wheel lock so the ignition is left off and the key is removed. I raised he double lwith Jeep over this when I first purchased it butThey did nothing and did not care. This is the third Jeep I have towed and every one was different. Not sure if yours is like my wrangler but itโ€™s worth checking. On edit I have never had a charge line to any of the jeeps Iโ€™ve towed and have left the Jeep connected for as long as 4 days when traveling, I use the brake buddy as well and I have never had the Jeep battery run down
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
OK. So I checked the voltage on the MH with it running at the 7 pin outlet, read 13.5 or so. Connected the charging cord to the MH, checked the end of the charging cord at the 6 pin connector, same power reading, 13.5 or so. Started the Jeep, tested the battery, read 14.5 or so, connected the cord to the Jeep, no change on the Jeep end. I'm assuming it's a fuse at the Jeep end now. Now Just to find it.

I feel I'm on the right path now.

Thank you.

Bob

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
2manytoyz wrote:

If so, then the problem isn't on the motorhome end.

If you're using a Roadmaster 6 pin connector, here's how it is wired:

At the connector on the Jeep, check between Pins 2 and 5. You should read about 12.6 Volts. If not, there should be a fuse inside the engine compartment near the battery going to the Roadmaster connector.

If both of these are fine, check the wiring on the cable that connects the motorhome to the Jeep.

FWIW, I just recently added the charging wiring to our Jeep. The Roadmaster EvenBrake 9400 would drain the Jeep's battery after a few hours. Now after driving 10+ hours, no issues at all. I put the fuse right at the battery, and identified it with a label.

Good luck!

Robert. Sorry for the confusion. Are you saying at the connector on the front of the Jeep I should be getting power readings with a multimeter? I picked one up today at Walmart, first time ever using one. I messed around with it a bit to get a feel for it. Tested the Jeep battery, with the Jeep off and got readings of 12.6, running 13.8 or so. I then tested the receptacle on the front of the Jeep, with it off and then running. Nothing. I also don't see a fuse anywhere in the engine compartment that's been added on. I haven't checked the MH yet, its in a storage facility a few miles away. Probably Sunday as tomorrow we're gonna get rain from a tropical storm moving up through the Gulf.

Thanks,

Bob

Community Alumni
Not applicable
RJL

Go here to the Jeep Forum and ask the question some one there may be more up on this.

Jeep JK Wrangler Technical Forum

JimR

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Thats some great information Robert and Scott G!! Thank you very much. Gonna hit Sanible tomorrow and mess with the MH tomorrow evening.

I'll be sure to ask many more questions as I move forward with my diagnosis. I'm a parts changer, can fix almost anything, IF you tell me whats wrong. The diagnosis part, not so much.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Note that on Ford trucks there is no 12V to the 7 pin unless the key is on so keep that in mind when your checking for voltage.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely not being charged by the motorhome.

For troubleshooting, this is a quick and dirty way to check the wiring.

Start the motorhome. With the cable disconnected, check the voltage between Pins 1 and 4 as shown in the diagram below. Should read ~13.5 volts. If not, there should be a fuse inside the motorhome engine compartment fuse block identified as "towing" or similar.

If so, then the problem isn't on the motorhome end.

If you're using a Roadmaster 6 pin connector, here's how it is wired:

At the connector on the Jeep, check between Pins 2 and 5. You should read about 12.6 Volts. If not, there should be a fuse inside the engine compartment near the battery going to the Roadmaster connector.

If both of these are fine, check the wiring on the cable that connects the motorhome to the Jeep.

FWIW, I just recently added the charging wiring to our Jeep. The Roadmaster EvenBrake 9400 would drain the Jeep's battery after a few hours. Now after driving 10+ hours, no issues at all. I put the fuse right at the battery, and identified it with a label.

Good luck!
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29