Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Those with portable surge protector
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Those with portable surge protector

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use ours 100% of the time, no matter where we are parked
After all is that not what it is for?

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 02:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cougar28 wrote:

While plugged in at your home do you always use your surge protector?
I can see why to always use at campgrounds because of lots of things there. High demand on power causing low voltage- high voltage-bad wiring-etc etc. But at home those are not near as likely to happen. Just curious what other do.

It would seem some of the posters are of the opinion you are asking if you use your portable surge protector for surge protection *INSIDE* your "sticks and bricks" HOUSE (home).

While AT your home - why not use it for your RV - just like you would at a campground?

I've never experienced a surge event AT at campground - but I have had same happen at my "sticks and bricks" - relatively new home, major power company. Power (utility) company had power outage. When they powered back up (on) - surge cost me a fairly expensive electronic device. Lesson learned - use individual surge protectors for same IN YOUR HOME - (or whole house protection at your electrical panel).

As already noted: RV surge protectors -no matter what kind, including PI - will *NOT* protect your *RV* from *LIGHTNING* strikes!..[emoticon] Thunderstorms, lightning potential: Disconnect from pedestal (as in "unplug").

[emoticon]

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/19 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a hard wired Progressive on mine and it wasn’t able to stop a surge. It burnt the wires coming right out of the box. Not only would they not honor the warranty because I drilled a hole in the box form my solar, they wouldn’t even answer my original question and would not engage any further conversation. That’s the part that really PISSED ME OFF.
Moral of the story, it only seems to be good for high or low voltage alerts.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No offense, but I don't think they are too far out of line if they felt that drilling a hole in their case was a bit much. From what I've seen the wiring is pretty straightforward without drilling holes.

FWIW, why did you drill a hole in the case?

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Those with portable surge protector
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.