cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quiet generators

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
With in the next few seasons I will be in the market for a generator. I have heard Hondas running and they are notoriously quiet. My local RV shop has Hyundais and they claim they are just as quiet, but are cheaper.

Anyone have them? What are they like? Should I get a Honda instead?
47 REPLIES 47

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
72cougarxr7 wrote:
jjrbus wrote:
What is the Harbor Freight warranty? I looked online and do not see it.

90 days unless you pay extra for the extended warranty.

Thanks I should have said extended warranty, I looked online and do not see it?

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
jjrbus wrote:

90 days unless you pay extra for the extended warranty.

DSchmidt_2000
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:

My EU6500i compares in a similar fashion.... the lower pitch sound is a lot easier on the ears, and the sound doesn't get annoying.

My EU6500

I was hoping for a video showing how loud it is.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
BFL13 wrote:
The Honda 3000 (had one for 15 years, sold it--too big for the MH we got) is very quiet with a low pitch that is easy on the ears. IMO a gen noise is not just about whether you can hear it, but how hard it is on the ears.

IMO a Honda 2000w is not in the same category as a 3000. You can hear it.

My EU6500i compares in a similar fashion.... the lower pitch sound is a lot easier on the ears, and the sound doesn't get annoying.

My EU6500
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
You dont see many hyundai generators, and the couple reviews I have seen are mixed. I believe someone on here had one the control module failed.

If you are looking for a lower cost inverter, you'd be hard pressed to do better than Champion power equipment.
US based customer service and parts availability.
I've owned 2, and they are were both trouble free and quiet.
3 year warranty as well.

The Predators from Harbor freight seem to be a decent option as well, but only have a 90 day warranty unless you pay for the extended warranty

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
swimmer_spe wrote:
bikendan wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
TimLoon wrote:
Folks, I "dry camp" with my Class A at a beach location with about 65 real tight spaces. I use my on board generator with genturi while there but regularly walk around the park. There is every variety of inverter generator going. There is no doubt there are distinct differences between between the Hondas/Yamahas and the lower cost versions.

OP Here.
So, Honda would be the quietest?
Like I asked, what about the Hyundais? How much different is noise level?

you still haven't posted WHICH Hyundai generator you're talking about!:S

I don't know specifically. But my question is more with having the same rated generators side by side, how much louder is one than the other.

Well, this Hyundai 2000w inverter generator has a rated noise level at 59db, which makes it 5db louder than the Honda 2000i. 59db puts it at the louder end of 2000w inverter generators.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyundai-HY2000si-Starting-Portable-Inverter/dp/B004919NEK
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
TimLoon wrote:
Folks, I "dry camp" with my Class A at a beach location with about 65 real tight spaces. I use my on board generator with genturi while there but regularly walk around the park. There is every variety of inverter generator going. There is no doubt there are distinct differences between between the Hondas/Yamahas and the lower cost versions.

OP Here.

I don't know specifically. But my question is more with having the same rated generators side by side, how much louder is one than the other.

TimLoon
Explorer
Explorer
By far, Hondas seem the quietest. Have not seen the Hyundai brand yet so cannot comment. In talking to the park ranger, he advised that there is discussion within their ranks of somehow restricting the noise levels of generators. Not sure how that is done but I can tell you that while camping in Maine this summer at a public park, I saw a staff member ask a camper to shut down his generator for excessive noise. Again, not sure how level was determined.
2004 Tiffin Allegro 32BA
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Pretty wife of 34 years as copilot

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
swimmer_spe wrote:
TimLoon wrote:

OP Here.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
TimLoon wrote:

OP Here.

TimLoon
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Tiffin Allegro 32BA
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Pretty wife of 34 years as copilot

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
swimmer_spe wrote:

I am up in Canada, where we get temperatures up to 100F. I plan to run the A/C and possibly a TV with satellite hookups.
In short, my 12V cord is rated for 30 amps, and want a generator that can run that.

What do you mean by "12v cord"? Your shore cord is 120v AC, for 30 amp.
You haven't said whether your a/c is 13.5k or 15k.
BUT if you want to run the a/c in 100ยฐ temps, get at least a 3000w inverter generator.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
It depends on the location of the off-grid camping spot and length of stay, etc., but long running gen times for air conditioning could be more practical with propane.

There are dual fuel gens and you can use those really big propane tanks that can be delivered to your spot by a propane company. Or have the extend-a-stay set up using smaller bottles.

IMO a set of two gens with parallel kit would be the way to go for that scenario too. A single gen that can do it would be too heavy for one person to deal with. (BTDT with Honda 3000)
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.