cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical Question

lmpres
Explorer
Explorer
On my last trip this year, when I got to the campground, I noticed my C02 alarm chirping. I had already plugged in to shore power when I noticed it. Thought nothing of it.
I got home, plugged in, and same thing. Again, wasn't sure why that was happening.
Went out yesterday to move the trailer for winter storage. Hooked up to my truck, plugged into my truck, and no power in unit to raise the landing gear. I re-plugged into shore power and landing gear raised with no problem. (also, noticed c02 alarm chirping again.)
Could this be because of a dead battery? Was thinking last night and it is the original battery that came with the unit.
Any help is appreciated!
9 REPLIES 9

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get out your voltmeter and post the battery voltage.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, the units do go bad and I'd immediately replace one that acted squirrely. I've had one go bad and so has another family member. They're inexpensive.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Chirping" generally means it has a system issue.. Possible issues are:
Low battery
Checksum error or other system error
More than 5 years old time out.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
For the price of a 9v battery, replace it, if it stops chirping, you're all set, if not replace the alarm unit, they have an age limit, but right now i don't remember exactly what it is, 5 maybe 8 years, look on the back of it, it should have a sticker, suggesting when to replace it.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
CO alarm.

Alarms chirp with batteries going dead.

It has timed out, replace.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your converter is working (you have 12v on shore power) but your house battery is low (no 12v without shore power) but the alarm still chirps even though you have 12v on shore power.

Your alarm might be one with its own little batteries that are low.

Meanwhile your house battery is low even though the converter works. So the converter charging is not reaching the battery or else it just can't be recharged anymore.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, certainly could be a dead battery. You don't say what year your trailer is so no way of knowing how old the original battery is. But signs point to that as the problem. Easy way to find out is to check it with a multi-meter. Anything else and you're just guessing.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
CO alarm.

Alarms chirp with batteries going dead.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
All I know is that most all alarms will sound if low voltage is detected
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.