cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pickle on My Entry Door Grab Handle

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
I wasn't sure which section of the forum was "correct" for this topic, but this section seems to be a good fit.

I'm curious if someone can help me understand a recent experience in a state campground. The morning after our first night there I went outside to enjoy some coffee. As I started to head back in to warm up my cup, I noticed there was a pickle on top of the bottom bracket for my grab handle! I promptly removed it and later did a bit of Google searching trying to understand what that was all about. The first few search results when pieced together seemed to indicate it has to do with an ugly motorhome. Apparently there is an infamous green motorhome referred to as the Pickle, and then there were some results for Ugly RV contests.

I have a 45' London Aire, which I think is safe to say is not ugly to the majority of people. However, when we pulled in Friday night I could over hear a lot of comments from several sites - but I'm not sure what they were saying. It could be that they didn't appreciate our rig for one reason or another.

We were with three other families and we were on one end of the group. Out site was next to one of the few empty sites that night, and on the other side of that was a large group of tents. We did have the heat pumps running at night, which aren't really loud, but do emit some level of noise. Later Saturday, my kids did spy an empty pickle jar in the empty site, awfully close to one of the tents. That might have been completely coincidental.

Anyway, I am curious if anyone else has had this experience or knows someone who has? I'd also be interested in your thoughts if it was indeed meant to indicate someone really disliked the appearance of our coach or was it more of a sign that we weren't appreciated in general. Perhaps it was just a couple of kids being silly. Other than the fact it was just an inconsiderate thing to do, I'm not bothered by it, more so curious as to why.
22 REPLIES 22

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
x2 and many of us are use to blowing noise, fan noise etc and do not think of others.

I generally stay as far away from tent campers as I can as they some times make to much to much noise having a good time.

gbopp wrote:
down home wrote:
Our heat pumps are not loud enough to be noticed on the outside.If you listen closely you can hear some white noise.

Your white noise may be annoying noise to others. Especially if the others are in a tent.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
Executive wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
SuperBus,
I have the solution;

I will take one for the team and trade our mint 1 owner Kountry Star for your London Aire. And seeing as I'm such a team player, I won't even charge you for the swap.

Please let me know how you'd like to move ahead with this and we'll make it happen. :B :B :B

Am I helpful? :h

Can he keep the pickle???....:W....Dennis

Bruce, I'd recommend before we finalize the trade you closely inspect the paint and chrome in the area of the grab handle - there could be some damage due to the vinegar exposure!

With regards to the pickle, I almost felt bad for them. It was a horrible pickle, at least by my preference. I like them crisp - this one was soggy and pale. So needless to say it was thrown off into the nearby brush for a less scrutinous creature.

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
toedtoes wrote:
It could have simply been a game of "how close can I get to their motorhome with them inside and not noticing". The pickle tells you that someone made it all the way to your RV door without you noticing.

Or there is this: Pickles on Highway

Maybe you are on to something! I didn't catch if there were Missouri plates on any nearby vehicles.

After they broke camp they left the empty pickle jar. We ended up taking it to a recycling bin in the park - I am sure they meant to do that themselves and just forgot.

I must also say this thread ended up being pretty entertaining. I have a feeling it will turn into an ongoing joke within my circle of fellow campers.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bruce Brown wrote:
SuperBus,
I have the solution;

I will take one for the team and trade our mint 1 owner Kountry Star for your London Aire. And seeing as I'm such a team player, I won't even charge you for the swap.

Please let me know how you'd like to move ahead with this and we'll make it happen. :B :B :B

Can he keep the pickle???....:W....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Bruce_Brown
SuperBus,
I have the solution;

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
gbopp wrote:
down home wrote:
Our heat pumps are not loud enough to be noticed on the outside.If you listen closely you can hear some white noise.

Your white noise may be annoying noise to others. Especially if the others are in a tent.

I don't like to say this, but I will. This is a DUMB response. White Noise is now a threat to peace and prosperity? Oh, forgot, we are talking camping. I guess NO NOISE at all is the mantra now. Whisper, don't talk and heaven forbid your Cell Phone goes off or your door closes too loud. No sitting around the Campfire talking. Might disturb the neighbors. Guess the solution is to SEGREGATE Campgrounds. NO NOISE---MILD NOISE--MEDIUM NOISE---LOUD NOISE. Or Camp next to Deaf people:B Doug

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I have quite literally seen "The Pickle."

It was in north Georgia and was a GMC MH converted to be a food truck and due to it's offensive color it was known as "The Pickle."

Since I started hollerin when I saw it it had obviously had been on TV. Maybe those late night channels, I dunno.
-jbh-

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
If this is true, and it is a game, I've heard the proper response is to place sardines on the ugly tents of those nearby and sprinkle the juice around the tent!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

DewLess
Explorer
Explorer
Suck a pickle if you donโ€™t like it, itโ€™s paid for

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never heard of this, but most heat pumps I have heard were not very loud and shouldn't have bothered anyone, even in tents. We have heard a couple louder ones, but not the norm.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
It could have simply been a game of "how close can I get to their motorhome with them inside and not noticing". The pickle tells you that someone made it all the way to your RV door without you noticing.

Or there is this: Pickles on Highway
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I believe someone has put you in a pickle!

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
New one on me LOL
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe somebody was inviting you to play the latest growing sport known as pickle ball