Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Sewage Follies
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Sewage Follies

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

I have read that buses typically pull over a grate and let it rip. Seems like that dump station may be to accommodate Greyhounds and charter buses.

That's how it was at the bus station in my home town... bus pulled in to it's parking space and dumped while loading/unloading passengers.

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ what could go wrong? haha

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Cocky_Camper

Rock Hill, SC

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is a strange smelly set up. I couldn't watch. I would be gagging!

As far as the honeywagon, we camp at Darlington, SC for the NASCAR race each labor day and have been doing it for 15+ years. The honeywagon comes around sucking out campers. We have also always been concerned about tanks collapsing from it. We were talking to a worker this year that owns the company that has been doing the area we camp in since we have been going. He said he has never seen or personally heard of a tank collapsing, and like he said, if it happened, word would have probably spread fast and they would have been run out of Darlington County for good.

2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw a video once (might have been Dirtiest Jobs) where the "honey wagons" pulled into what appeared to be a large concrete parking lot. There were "depressions" spaced a couple hundred feet apart. The truck would back up to the top of the depression and "unload" !

This was in an area of the country where they had a lot of sunshine. The load would quickly "dry out" because the run to the bottom of the depression was long. The next day, when it was completely dry, they used a power broom on a tractor to sweep up any dried up solids

Tripalot

Golden Horseshoe, Ont. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll never forget the time we were at the RV lanes at a Flying J waiting our turn.
The RV in front of us was dumping when his hose split and all the sewage spilled over the entire area. The owner put the hose in the garbage bin and drove off leaving an awful smelly mess. We moved to a different lane and before we left this poor young girl was out with a scraper trying to push the mess down the drain hole - she was holding her nose with one hand and doing her best to clean up.

2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

tdiller

usa

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cocky_Camper wrote:

That is a strange smelly set up. I couldn't watch. I would be gagging!

As far as the honeywagon, we camp at Darlington, SC for the NASCAR race each labor day and have been doing it for 15+ years. The honeywagon comes around sucking out campers. We have also always been concerned about tanks collapsing from it. We were talking to a worker this year that owns the company that has been doing the area we camp in since we have been going. He said he has never seen or personally heard of a tank collapsing, and like he said, if it happened, word would have probably spread fast and they would have been run out of Darlington County for good.

If you are worried about the tank collapsing just find a way to hold open the toilet flush ball. Air going in would keep the tank from collapsing. I also suspect that air would be sucked past the valve before the tank would collapse.

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A properly vented tank will never colapse.

navegator

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

navegator wrote:

A properly vented tank will never colapse.

navegator

This is my opinion too. If your roof vent is clogged, you're going to have other issues showing up. I only mentioned it because it has been discussed on the forum in the past. Comes up in pretty much every honey wagon discussion.

I guess I didn't get a photo of the rear of their tank, but it had a slogan across the back. "We take [email protected] off anyone"

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, that fly's in the face of the plumbing code.

"I 107.9 Sewer inlets shall be 4 inch diameter and extend above grade 3 to 6 inches (76 to 152 mm).
Each inlet shall be provided with a gas-tight seal when connected to an RV, and have a gas-tight seal or
plug for use when not in service, and shall be protected from traffic."

and...

"I. 107.13 No sewage, wastewater or any other effluent shall be allowed to be deposited on the surface of the ground."

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Wow, that fly's in the face of the plumbing code.

"I 107.9 Sewer inlets shall be 4 inch diameter and extend above grade 3 to 6 inches (76 to 152 mm).
Each inlet shall be provided with a gas-tight seal when connected to an RV, and have a gas-tight seal or
plug for use when not in service, and shall be protected from traffic."

and...

"I. 107.13 No sewage, wastewater or any other effluent shall be allowed to be deposited on the surface of the ground."

Hmmm, just about every dump station I've ever seen violated at least one of those rules. None of them are above grade. Few if any have any type of seal on the brass cap. Must be something about being a temporary facility.

Most of the hook-up sewer connections meet those rules, or at least close to it. But not dump stations.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Sewage Follies
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.