Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acadia NP - rv length

pennstaterv
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all-

We are planning to visit Acadia next summer, and we much prefer state and national parks over other campgrounds, so I am obviously focusing on the two campgrounds in Acadia. My concern is their website is very cautionary about allowing campers over 35’ in, and from what I understand it is due to the roads in the campground

Our fiver is 40’. Being a fifth wheel, I have been able to navigate right roads in national parks before and fit into spots that are 30-35’ long. The website says they will turn your way if your camper is too long. Does anyone have experience with this? I tried to call but the office is closed until May.
11 REPLIES 11

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
pennstaterv wrote:
Anyone stay at bar harbor campground? Any issues with not getting a campsite since there are no reservations?

We stayed at Hadley's Point right down Rt 3 from Bar Harbor CG. We went by Bar Harbor several times and there were always open sites (2nd week in September). I think the no reservations thing hurts them. When I made reservations at Hadley's, most of the other CG in the area were full.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

WrightOn
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed a week at Smuggler's Den. Our group had the first two FHU sites on the entry road nearest the office. I would HIGHLY suggest this CG and sites. The pool is directly across from the sites as is a large grassy area for kids/dogs. Other sites are fine but some get a little tight. We had an excellent experience, and we drove through the other CG and didn't have remorse for our choice.
Out numbered 4:1
2011 F350 PSD 6.7L Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Empty Nest'n with our Rott!

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Blackwoods in September. We are 32 feet long and it was tight. Not just the roads but also the site. We barely got our truck off the road because of the vegetation around the sites.
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

in5r
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Bar Harbor KOA last summer and it was pretty good. Not to far from town. Not one to typically do KOA but in this case it worked out well.
2019 Ford F250 6.7 CC SB
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5RSTS

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
WE stayed at a private CG about 15 miles from Bar Harbor. You pass it an way to BH. Twin Pines(?). No problem with large rigs. The 15 mile drive didn't bother me. There are 2 KOA's after the causeway, scoped them out and wasn't impressed. Another CG near the airport which looked liked it could accommodate large rigs, but all sorts of dust from roads turned us off.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've been going up there every summer for the last 10 yrs. We stay at Narrows Too. I had looked at Bar Harbor CG, but the lack of reservations was a deal breaker. I don't want to drive 1700 miles and find I don't have a place to stay. People say that isn't a problem as there are always open spots, but I didn't want to chance it.
I stopped at Bass harbor CG, which is on Mt Desert Island and they have a half dozen or so sites that will accomodate a big rig... but, they are under pine trees and I didn't want the sap on my roof.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
It has been a long time, but the last time we stayed Blackwoods campground it was VERY tight for anything over 30 ft. There were some big TT and motorhomes in there, but they were getting all scratched up driving around the campground.

The private campgrounds in the area are usually booked up well in advance of the season. Many times the very beginning and end of the season really opens up (and can be chilly!).

Assuming you haven't been to Acadia, it is gorgeous! If you have them, bring bicycles - the carriage roads are fantastic to ride on. At least one morning, get up really early to see the sunrise on Cadillac Mountain - it is the first point of land on the continental USA to see the sun... just cool to see.

Acadia is open at night! We found that Thunder Hole is especially neat at night - no one else around, booming waves, beautiful stars.

pennstaterv
Explorer
Explorer
Schoodic looks beautiful but yeah the distance to Bar Harbor may be a deal breaker.

Anyone stay at bar harbor campground? Any issues with not getting a campsite since there are no reservations?

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crowe wrote:
I haven't camped there but have driven through many times. I wouldn't attempt it. The rules are there for a reason. Schoodic Woods is spectacular. Drawback is you are a considerable distance from the town of Bar Harbor.

Double ditto. The rules are there to protect you and your rig.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't camped there but have driven through many times. I wouldn't attempt it. The rules are there for a reason. Schoodic Woods is spectacular. Drawback is you are a considerable distance from the town of Bar Harbor.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

nazpaz
Explorer
Explorer
Schoodic Woods campground in the "unvisited" part of Acadia has spots big enough for any camper (with space to spare). One of our favorite campgrounds ever. Our review here
-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
--
We've visited them all (but not always with the RV)