Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: toilet treatment for black water tank
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> toilet treatment for black water tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lane hog wrote:

Never let your tanks sit empty, and most chemicals are snake oil that cover up odors only.

We do 5 gallons of water after dumping (Home Depot bucket x 1 or my wife's mop bucket x 2), and the sloshing action while driving is enough to prevent buildup anywhere.

I am not sure what you mean by "never let your tanks sit empty"... ours are always empty when parked at home. I never leave them full.

Do you mean for seasonal campsite?

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Google 'Odorlos' holding tank treatment .
Its avl from Amazon . Been using the liquid for years . Never had an odor, never had a failed sensor. I think it's an enzyme type of treatment and sensor cleaner. It doesn't seem to have the usual masking scent of other toilet tank treatments.
After dumping my 40 gal black tank, I always add 3 or 4 gals of water plus an Oz. of Odorlos to the tank and allow that to agitate .

Sometimes I tow an enclosed 12x5 cargo trailer with an electric flush "Curve' porta-potti that secures to the floor. The 'Curve' has its own water supply or windshield washer supply during winter use and its own holding tank. That system also has the same positive results. Odorlos works year round, all temps.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another alternative - buy a flexible toilet tank wand - about $15. It will clean off the debris that is clogging your sensors.

Kevin

TexasShadow

Spring Branch, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we treat ours with cheap liquid detergent and borax, a couple cups of each. we use it to treat the gray water too.
start with a couple gallons of water in the tanks.
it works very well. we frequently go as long as 10 days before dumping.

TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

lamont

,va

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5 gallons water, bag ice & some Dawn soap---- start stop ride some rock the Motorhome--- it will clean the sensors off... been doing this over 25 years..
richie,

2020 Thor Class "C"
Lifetime Good Sam
navy lifer
Viginia

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

During my trips I always spritz the bowl with simple green or a few squirts of dawn foam and I have no tank odors.

Once home I make my usual concoction of dawn and a tad of bleach and mix it into a rich foam using a paint paddle and cordless drill and dump that into the tank. I then go out and close the black tank drain. Some of the foamy mix stays in the tank.

I do the same with all my drains. The nice thing is when opening the cap next time to attach hose if there was a drip it isn't raw sewage.

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guages lie like politicians and both are... well never mind. I use an internal sprinkler head to flush the tank. It spine around washing away the cling ons and I get a better reading. Only trouble I have with tank flush kit is finding a dump station with a threaded flush hose.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/19 01:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

lane hog wrote:

Never let your tanks sit empty, and most chemicals are snake oil that cover up odors only.

We do 5 gallons of water after dumping (Home Depot bucket x 1 or my wife's mop bucket x 2), and the sloshing action while driving is enough to prevent buildup anywhere.

I am not sure what you mean by "never let your tanks sit empty"... ours are always empty when parked at home. I never leave them full.

Do you mean for seasonal campsite?

Parked, between trips, on trips, 10 months of the year, I've got a minimum of 5 gallons in my black tank.

The only time my black tank runs dry is for full winterization.

Then and only then, I'll drain off that 5 gallons, knowing it's sat there for weeks since our last trip and done its job...

• 2005 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C (was a three-time Jayco owner)
  • 2012 MasterTow Dolly pulling a 2003 Jeep Liberty (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango, Honda Odyssey...)
  • Onan Microquiet 4000, plus 130W solar and Honda EU2000i twins for backup

frankgibbons1947

Small City, NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've faced similar odor issues in the past. I’ve used Walex holding tank deodorizer drop-ins for just over a year.

I have tried others in between buying this product and still keep going back to this. Packets are so simple to just toss in without any mess or measurements.

Odour is quickly eliminated and makes a massive difference when you’re living full time in an RV and even better with high temperatures could make it very unpleasant quickly. Haven’t tried other “scents” but this has none that is noticed.

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also , when parked and hooked to a ground sewer pipe it is suggested you keep your valves closed unless you are dumping your tanks. Eliminates odors from seeping into your coach.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> toilet treatment for black water tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS