cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing drum brakes ???

ilvtravln
Explorer II
Explorer II
Need to replace brakes on my 5er, it has Lippert axles, drums are 12". Can I just replace the brake shoes or do I replace the entire backing plate, brakes, magnet all of it. Where do I go for parts?
Thanks
Art
17 REPLIES 17

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
bpounds wrote:
Do you recommend reusing your drums? If so, how many times? Do you get them turned? Does turning include resurfacing the magnet track?

Might do brakes this spring. Not sure if I should do new drums, even though they look good. Seems like a set of drums with hubs and bearings costs as much or more than the brake sets.

If you plan on keeping your RV swap too Disks!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
Do you recommend reusing your drums? If so, how many times? Do you get them turned? Does turning include resurfacing the magnet track?

Might do brakes this spring. Not sure if I should do new drums, even though they look good. Seems like a set of drums with hubs and bearings costs as much or more than the brake sets.

The maximum diameter of the drums should be on the drum, normally they will have plenty of material to allow turning. The magnet track (armature) is a different story, they are often grooved and only .030" is allowed for removal and few shops have the ability to get the high finish required.

When replacing bearings, use only Timken, not the cheap Chinese junk sold by most stores, eTrailer included.

When burnishing new brakes, the manufacturer suggests doing repeated hard stops to get them seated. The problem with that is the new magnets are not yet seated and hard stops will work them hard, causing grooving of the armature. Now the new drums are as ugly as the old.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Get the entire brake assembly in a kit..shoes, back plate and magnets. I used eTrailer and upgraded to self adjusting.
You may as well get new seals and repack the bearings while you're in there.
Get some heat activated butt connectors for connecting the brake wiring. Use heat activated shrink wrap over the butt connectors to seal even more. Remember to slip the shrink wrap over the wires before you connect them. Harbor Freight heat gun works good.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

ilvtravln
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
Agree with others replace the entire assembly.

I priced it both ways, its a no brainer, get the backing plate with all new parts. Thanks to all who wrote.
Art

ilvtravln
Explorer II
Explorer II
edbehnke wrote:
replace the whole things with self adjusting.

Good idea, as I am 72 and it used to be a lot easier to adjust the brakes.

Thanks
Art

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Several years ago, when I was going to replace the shoes, the supplier here told me the whole backing plates with the parts already mounted was cheaper that piece mealing it. He was correct and so easy to do as no cursing the springs. Go to www.etrailer.com

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I priced out the shoes vs the backing plate assemblies, for the difference in price shoes only wasn't worth my time. Plus I got new magnets and hardware.
I once replaced the shoes and turned the drums on my car. On a subsequent trip, it had to be a Sunday, a return spring broke and completely destroyed everything. I stuffed a nail in the brake line and nursed it home. Never again.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I planned on replacing just the brake shoes on my toyhauler when necessary, but the price for brake shoes is ridiculous. You could easily spend $400 for the brake shoes for a double axle trailer. Of course the the whole brake kit could easily set you back $600. Or go cheap and get by for about the same as just the shoes would cost.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with others replace the entire assembly.

frizfreleng
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the brake assemblies and bearings last winter on my 2004 Keystone Cougar. If you have any mechanical ability it is fairly easy.

Dexter 10' electric brake assemblies (4): $175
Wheel bearings for 4 wheels: $54

This time I used a company named Sturdy Built Trailer (online). I believe they were cheaper than etrailer for the same brand assemblies.

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
You also need to inspect the drums for wear on both the braking surface and the magnet surface. You can get parts at most anyplace that has trailer parts.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
replace the whole things with self adjusting.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds as though you've never done this before. Find a friend to help you through it as you'll also have to do the bearings.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE