cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Ridge Parkway and NC 181

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We will be traveling on NC 181 N. in a couple of weeks. We would like to turn off from 181 onto the Blue Ridge Parkway for a few miles and then back on 181 (near the Camp Creek Parking Lot). I see these stone arch bridges at each entrance/exit. I have a 12' 9" high fifth wheel. Will I have any problem with the arches?
8 REPLIES 8

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
padredw wrote:
TerryAllen wrote:
Don't think he needs the tunnels on the Parkway. It's the bridges going UNDER the BRP he is asking about.

Yes, Terry is exactly right. I don't think I have anything to worry about in that regard. We are not traveling extensively on the BRP.

Maybe I should have started a new topic about the route FROM New River State Park. But, again, I don't think I have anything to worry about, just looking for local reassurance.

I don't think you would have a problem either. As I say. The big trucks go under those bridges as they are not allowed on the Parkway.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
TerryAllen wrote:
Don't think he needs the tunnels on the Parkway. It's the bridges going UNDER the BRP he is asking about.

Yes, Terry is exactly right. I don't think I have anything to worry about in that regard. We are not traveling extensively on the BRP.

Maybe I should have started a new topic about the route FROM New River State Park. But, again, I don't think I have anything to worry about, just looking for local reassurance.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
amxpress wrote:
Blue Ridge Parkway bridge clearance heights

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Ridge Parkway bridge clearance heights
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
OK, I think I will piggy-back on my own post to ask about routes.

We will be staying at New River State Park in North Carolina. From there we start home.

Google maps shows the quickest route to be US 58/NC16 North up into Virginia to connect with I-81 W and on down to Sevierville, TN.

An alternate route would follow US 88/NC 167 to US 421 to US 321 to I-26 to I-81.

One reason Google Maps would suggest the route through Virginia is that provides for much more freeway driving. But I will not average that much more because I will NOT be driving the speed limit on the Interstate.

I have not given all the connecting roads on either of these routes but anyone who could respond helpfully would know the basic differences in the choice between them.

I am not anxious, but if anyone is really familiar with these routes I'd be glad to hear suggestions. I don't generally avoid mountain driving but most of my experience is with Colorado and points north in the Rocky Mountains. I've been over most of those passes.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks, friends, looks pretty good. We will be leaving on Monday, October 21 and will be up toward the BRP a bit over a week later.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
padredw wrote:
We will be traveling on NC 181 N. in a couple of weeks. We would like to turn off from 181 onto the Blue Ridge Parkway for a few miles and then back on 181 (near the Camp Creek Parking Lot). I see these stone arch bridges at each entrance/exit. I have a 12' 9" high fifth wheel. Will I have any problem with the arches?

they are actually pretty high. I believe the big trucks use 181, and most roads that lead to the BRP.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
call them. 828-670-1924

read:
https://www.blueridgeparkway.org/tunnels/
eddie and sandie