cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Built-in microwave sounds sick

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
My built-in Microwave in my 2005 trailer recently started sounding sick. It sounds like its slow to startup and the microwave light inside goes dim. It still works but has the appearance and sound of loosing power somewhere.

I thought it was because of my weak trailer batteries, which I fixed, but it still does it. Even if I'm connected to shore power or the generator is running.

I have a voltage gauge plugged in one of the outlets and when the microwave is on it plummets into the red.

The convertor is a 60 amp Progressive Dynamics with the Charge Wizard.

Is there something I should be looking for?
13 REPLIES 13

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2010 does the same thing, it groans when it starts but heats food fine
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
I plugged the microwave into the house and it works fine but still has a slight groaning noise as it starts. At this point I think the trailer wiring and converter is fine, but possibly the micro is showing its age and quality. I've also confirmed that the drop in voltage was because of the cord I had the trailer plugged into. Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions...

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
KATOOM wrote:

I have a voltage gauge plugged in one of the outlets and when the microwave is on it plummets into the red.

Yes, check the gauge on your fire extinguisher, you may very well have a bad connection and that can get hot. Like above, start checking voltage at the pedestal while there is a high load, then move on till you find the voltage drop.

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
KATOOM wrote:
My built-in Microwave in my 2005 trailer recently started sounding sick. It sounds like its slow to startup and the microwave light inside goes dim. It still works but has the appearance and sound of loosing power somewhere.

Am I missing something? This does not sound like a microwave problem!

If your voltage is going low you need to quit using the microwave and find out why. Does anything else pull the voltage monitor into the red zone? Iโ€™d start with checking the RV plug and power at the pedestal.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
try it in the house,if it sounds bad ? wal mart has a bunch of them. most are not repairable. IF you take it apart. be very vary full theres things in there that bite.

miatared
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
If it is failing think about replacing with Convection/Microwave.

Only issue if you do that is to check your circuit, most combo microwave/convection need a 20A circuit.. not a 15A.

I found that out....

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
cavie wrote:
Your batteries have absolutely nothing to do with your microwave. It is 120 volts. Run an extension to it and see if anything changes. Plug should be in a cabinet next to the microwave. Micro should be on it's own circuit. Pull the outlet out of the wall and check the connections. Check the wiring in the circuit breaker box for loose connections. check voltage with a real volt meter. Not red lights.

X2
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
sgfrye wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
Sounds like the microwave going bad. Pull it out and plug it into your house to test it.

x2

keep it simple when it comes to trouble shooting

If it is failing think about replacing with Convection/Microwave.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
Sounds like the microwave going bad. Pull it out and plug it into your house to test it.

x2

keep it simple when it comes to trouble shooting

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Your batteries have absolutely nothing to do with your microwave. It is 120 volts. Run an extension to it and see if anything changes. Plug should be in a cabinet next to the microwave. Micro should be on it's own circuit. Pull the outlet out of the wall and check the connections. Check the wiring in the circuit breaker box for loose connections. check voltage with a real volt meter. Not red lights.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
I have no problem replacing the microwave.....as long as it needs to be replaced. Spending money on a new micro just to find out that wasnt the problem isnt what I want to do.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have a 14 year old microwave. May be time to replace it.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT